no chemo

no chemo this week, my platelete are still low my dotor put on 2 prdonizones a day for it which i don't know how that would bring up my platelets,but i felt to bad to even to talk to him about anything. i hope everyone else is good and sue lizzy is so cute i can;t believe shes a y. ear old blessings denise

Comments

• Avantgardener
    Avantgardener Member Posts: 32 Member
    Prednisone
    I still don't get what the function of Prednisone is with regard to lymphoma...I'm on it too. I started at 100 mg/day and now I'm down to 5. I don't like the side effects - puffy feet and ankles, and it makes me very manic and unable to sit still. I don't feel like it is helping me much, and my doctor seems to agree, since she's been weaning me off of it. I do know that it is commonly prescribed with Rituxan, so if you're on Rituxan it's kind of a given.
  • Avantgardener
    Avantgardener Member Posts: 32 Member
    Prednisone
    I still don't get what the function of Prednisone is with regard to lymphoma...I'm on it too. I started at 100 mg/day and now I'm down to 5. I don't like the side effects - puffy feet and ankles, and it makes me very manic and unable to sit still. I don't feel like it is helping me much, and my doctor seems to agree, since she's been weaning me off of it. I do know that it is commonly prescribed with Rituxan, so if you're on Rituxan it's kind of a given.
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member

Prednisone

Prednisone...
    Hi,
    Here is a little info about prednisone that might answer your question "the function of prednisone with regards to lymphoma?" I'm glad you are tapering down and almost finished with it. Hope this helps...Love...Sue

Prednisone

(pred-nuh-soan)

Trade/other name(s): Deltasone, Prednisone Intensol

Why would this drug be used?

Prednisone can be used in cancer treatment in a number of different ways:
    • to help treat some leukemias, lymphomas, and other types of cancer (usually along with chemotherapy)
    • to help prevent or treat allergic reactions to certain drugs
    • to prevent or treat nausea and vomiting caused by some chemotherapy drugs
    • to increase appetite
    • to help lower blood calcium levels in people with cancers in the bones

It is also used to help treat a wide variety of other conditions:
    • to reduce inflammation (to help treat some conditions of the eyes, skin, lungs, digestive tract, kidneys, or other parts of the body)
    • to help prevent or treat allergies or asthma
    • to treat arthritis or other autoimmune disorders such as multiple sclerosis
    • to treat some autoimmune blood disorders
    • to help prevent transplant rejection
    • to replace the body's normal steroids when the adrenal glands aren't working well

Doctors may prescribe prednisone for a number of other uses as well.

How does this drug work?

Prednisone is a type of steroid drug known as a glucocorticosteroid. It is a manmade version of a natural hormone produced by the adrenal glands. Glucocorticosteroids have a wide range of actions on many parts of the body. The ways in which they cause these many different effects aren't exactly clear.

The main effects of prednisone and steroids like it seem to be due to their anti-inflammatory properties and their ability to alter immune system responses. For example, prednisone helps prevent white blood cells from traveling to areas of the body where they might add to swelling problems (such as around tumors). It also seems to help with the treatment of certain blood cancers (such as leukemias) by causing some cancerous white blood cells to commit suicide.

The reasons for some of its other actions, such as increasing appetite and reducing nausea, aren't as clear.
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    Thanks Denise...
    Hi Denise,
    I'm so sorry your feeling bad. Hopefully the prednisone will give you a little energy, boost your appetite and hopefully help your blood. Please read the Prednisone info I posted to avantgardener....it will help you understand why prednisone is used in cancer treatments. Let us know how things go for you with the pred. About Lizzy...I'm having a hard time believing she's a year old also!!! :) Take care Denise and rest as best as you can. Much love...Sue
    (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,812 Member

Prednisone

Prednisone

I took Rituxan but never had Prednisone, so it is not always required. I did take Neulasta to build WBC. The best site I have found for researching chemo drugs is chemocare.com -- very authoratative and complete information. Max
  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    Hi Denise
    Hi Denise,

Great to hear from you. Hope you get to feeling
    better soon. The prednizone will help with appetite and
    energy.

Hang in there!

Hugs and positive thoughts,

Jim
    DX: DLBL 4/2011, Chemo completed 10/2011, currently in remission. :)