CT Scan Results *UPDATE*

Options
MsGebby
MsGebby Member Posts: 659
edited May 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
were good. I think. The doctor says the lung nodules remain stable BUT ... it is noted that there are more in my right lung. That is the side I had the lumpectomy and radiation. He says it could be inflammation from the rads. The radiologist could not make a determination and cannot rule out cancer. ( an afterthought .... I am taking Arimidex. Wouldn't that mean the nodules are not from breast cancer?)

So I am breathing and holding my breath a little bit too. A new scan is scheduled for August. Pretty amazing to me because I learned I had breast cancer in August of last year.

I see the endo next week to find out what is next concerning the thyroid nodules. Maybe this is why the radiologist and doctor are not ruling out the nodules in lungs as cancer. Thyroid cancer can spread to the lungs. I don't know. None of this makes any sense to me at the moment.

Have I mentioned "I HATE ROLLER COASTERS"?

If I had not signed on to this board, I would've gone nuts. Completely, utterly nuts! All of you are like family to me. I just wish we could have met under different circumstances.

I am feeling good. Not depressed like 2 weeks ago. The Effexor is doing its job. Life goes on and so must I.

*** HUGS ***

Mary
==================================================================================================

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I picked up the report. I am FREAKING OUT.

Here's the diagnostics on those NEW nodules.

-new 1.1 x 1 cm irregular groudglass appearing opacity is noted in the right upper lobe
-new 5mm groundglass in the pleural nodule is in the right upper lobe
-new focal irregular soft tissue density seen in the middle lobe measuring 1.2 x 1.3cm. Several smaller similar nodules are noted on the same image
-8mm nodule is seen in the right lower lobe in the subpleural region peripheral which may be a tiny bit larger than previously (I believe they are talking about the one that measured 6mm before this scan)
-Multi focal pneumonitis is also in the differential

The radiologist states... there are new focal opacities on the right side in the area where the breast cancer and surgery seems to have taken place and therefore "I wonder" if these areas may indicate radiation related process rather than metastatic disease.

My stomach is in knots and my brain hurts. This is so scary. The report says "short term follow up in 4-6 weeks might be useful in further differentiating this process from metastatic process"

Doc set me up for an appointment with my friend C T Scan on August 6th. Scratching my head on this one.

I am so close to calling Sloan Kettering. I still have to see the Endo on the 24th. How can this be happening? Why is this happening?

Your prayers are so needed right now. I need to just try to pull myself together so I don't show any kind of distress this weekend. OMG OMG OMG

Comments

• SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Radiologist
    Hi Mary,

Most radiation results have some guessing in them. One of my scan's back in 2009 stated that "it may represent resolution of metastatic disease related to either radiation or chemotherapy". The fact that I didn't have either treatments for my disease showed that he was guessing why I had such a good scan. All he had to go on were the previous scans and the reason for the scan. I am fairly certain they don't have time to go read the patients history in the computer if that is even available to them.

Stable is good. The language sounds very typical and they do cover their a-- by covering all the possibilities. I have had a a 1 cm node in the axilla of the side that didn't have cancer noted for years in mammograms and on ct scans. I had it before my 2008 recurrence, so I sometimes nodes can be of different sizes and not be malignant.

I don't like these sort of roller coaster rides either. Once we are on the ride, it hard to get off.

Since worrying won't get you anywhere, might as well wait until you talk with the Endo guy next week.
    Enjoy your great weekend ahead.

Best,

Doris
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    Options
    SIROD said:

Radiologist
    Hi Mary,

Most radiation results have some guessing in them. One of my scan's back in 2009 stated that "it may represent resolution of metastatic disease related to either radiation or chemotherapy". The fact that I didn't have either treatments for my disease showed that he was guessing why I had such a good scan. All he had to go on were the previous scans and the reason for the scan. I am fairly certain they don't have time to go read the patients history in the computer if that is even available to them.

Stable is good. The language sounds very typical and they do cover their a-- by covering all the possibilities. I have had a a 1 cm node in the axilla of the side that didn't have cancer noted for years in mammograms and on ct scans. I had it before my 2008 recurrence, so I sometimes nodes can be of different sizes and not be malignant.

I don't like these sort of roller coaster rides either. Once we are on the ride, it hard to get off.

Since worrying won't get you anywhere, might as well wait until you talk with the Endo guy next week.

Best,

Doris

I am picking up
    the CD and report tomorrow. I did more reading and found that nodules in a person with a history of cancer AND over the age of 50 are more likely cancerous. My heart is pounding out of my chest.

However, I have to trust my doctor on this. He didn't sound like he was jumping for joy but he did say he was pleased that the 2 larger nodules seem to be stable. I had chills running down my spine when he finished with the statement "the upper right lung shows 3 new nodules and we can't be sure if they are cancer until we see a new CT scan".

I've made up my mind that if I get anymore news about things being indeterminate or such, I am going to Sloan Kettering. I can't stand this back and forth stuff. I don't know how everyone else deals with going to appointment after appointment for years, but I am an impatient..patient. I wanna know NOW. I do plan to ask about a broncoscopy in the very near future.

What can be causing these new growths? IF it isn't from radiation?

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    Options
    SIROD said:

Radiologist
    Hi Mary,

Best,

Doris

I'll hold my breath with you
    Hey Mary, I'll hold my breath with you and il say lots of prayers for you. Keep your awesome positive attitude :)

Hugs & God Bless,

Dawne
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    MsGebby said:

I am picking up
    the CD and report tomorrow. I did more reading and found that nodules in a person with a history of cancer AND over the age of 50 are more likely cancerous. My heart is pounding out of my chest.

However, I have to trust my doctor on this. He didn't sound like he was jumping for joy but he did say he was pleased that the 2 larger nodules seem to be stable. I had chills running down my spine when he finished with the statement "the upper right lung shows 3 new nodules and we can't be sure if they are cancer until we see a new CT scan".

I've made up my mind that if I get anymore news about things being indeterminate or such, I am going to Sloan Kettering. I can't stand this back and forth stuff. I don't know how everyone else deals with going to appointment after appointment for years, but I am an impatient..patient. I wanna know NOW. I do plan to ask about a broncoscopy in the very near future.

What can be causing these new growths? IF it isn't from radiation?

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Bronchoscopy ASAP
    Hi Mary,

I missed the part of 3 new nodules.

I would ask for a bronchoscopy asap. Waiting is stressing you out and you should have answers. I would ask to be set up for an appointment with a good thoracic surgeon. My oncologist had set up mine for my lungs back when I was dx with lungs and pleura mets.

Set it up. I don't believe they do radiation on lungs. I never read about anyone writing about it, never was an option that was presented to me. I did read about a woman who had surgery on her lungs and it spread the cancer quicker.

Anyway, make an appointment, have a plan before you leave for Massachusetts. It will relieve your mind and you can then enjoy your weekend.

Best,

Doris
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Options

Hey Mary, I'll hold my breath with you and il say lots of prayers for you. Keep your awesome positive attitude :)

Hugs & God Bless,

Dawne

Keeping you
    in my prayers - your courage and positive attitude are an inspiration -
    much love,
    Jenny
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Hugs & God Bless,

Dawne

I am praying for you
    I am praying for you Mary.

Hugs, Debby