No Expiration Date

Options
Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
Earlier while looking at 'stuff', I saw where someone said they liked "No Expiration Date" as a way to think of NED. Being IBC, my first thought was 'Love it'. The more I've thought about it, the more I'm not sure. Now when I think 'expiration date', I think of 'Peggy' in the commercials for CCA when 'she's' told 'I didn't see an expiration date on the bottom of your foot' (or words close to that).

I know I do over think 'things' at times (well often) so asking for thoughts.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

Comments

• MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    Options
    No Expiration Date
    Hmmm ... Peter Pan Syndrome??? Laughing ... there IS a cure for that.

Peace

Mary
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    MsGebby said:

No Expiration Date
    Hmmm ... Peter Pan Syndrome??? Laughing ... there IS a cure for that.

Peace

Mary

I guess it depends how you look at it
    On the one hand, we all sort of have an "expiration date" (including those of us without cancer)--we're all going to die--we just don't know when. And, in my opinion, it's wrong for any of our medical professionals to give us a time line.

Also, when we hear "no evidence of disease" it's really just at that moment--during that scan. The very next day--one little cell could change everything.

Being that there's no cure, for me, the best thing has been to try to live in the moment. As Doris has said here, we Stage 4-ers are very happy to be living with the "stable boy"!

Hugs to all, Renee
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    I dont really like Ned
    Even when I had no evidence of active disease I still had evidence of bc.....scars, port, prosthesis, crazy
    hair. But that's just me.

I use the no expiration date on my butt just to remind me nobody knows when we are going, so keep putting
    one foot in front of the other. I think the phrase applies to everybody C or not.

Isn't it funny what bugs us? Don't get me started on "lost her battle with c"

Jennifer
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    grams2jc said:

I dont really like Ned
    Even when I had no evidence of active disease I still had evidence of bc.....scars, port, prosthesis, crazy
    hair. But that's just me.

I use the no expiration date on my butt just to remind me nobody knows when we are going, so keep putting
    one foot in front of the other. I think the phrase applies to everybody C or not.

Isn't it funny what bugs us? Don't get me started on "lost her battle with c"

Jennifer

Oh, Jennifer--you hit the nail on the head for me
    with your last sentence. I HATE reading that or hearing someone say that. To me, that says--yeah, too bad-she was a loser. And, as we all know, we're the toughest fighters out there. I even told my husband--do not ever say or write that about me. I will haunt you forever if you do! Funny--thinking about it--that's what really bugs me!

Hugs, Renee
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I never gave it much thought
    It will be interesting to see some of the other thoughts on this.
  • tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Same here
    I had the same reaction you did. What a clever ad writer to come up with such a positive way to allow us pretend we can always find a way to to beat this beast. You were not over thinking it, rather you are dealing with the reality and aren't getting sucked in. And how many patients get lax about follow ups and monitoring themselves by falling for this, because I have seen the resulting disaster of that mind-set too.

It DOES sound lovely doesn't it? Why don't I feel that? LOL
  • Blondiemomma
    Blondiemomma Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Do what?
    What am I missing? What's NED? Where did the no expiration date come from? And what is the commercial referring to? What rock have I been under all this time???
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Do what?
    What am I missing? What's NED? Where did the no expiration date come from? And what is the commercial referring to? What rock have I been under all this time???

No Evidence of Disease
    NED - No Evidence of Disease. The best words we can hear after a BC DX. Meaning that there is no longer evidence of cancer in our body at that time. Of course as we know that can change at any time but any time with NED is great.

The commercial is one of the ones that Cancer Centers of America runs featuring 'Peggy' who says that she was dying of pancreatic cancer and CCA saved her. In the commercial 'Peggy' says the Dr told her that he did not see an expiration date written on the bottom of her foot.

Hope that helps a bit.

Susan
  • Blondiemomma
    Blondiemomma Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Rague said:

No Evidence of Disease
    NED - No Evidence of Disease. The best words we can hear after a BC DX. Meaning that there is no longer evidence of cancer in our body at that time. Of course as we know that can change at any time but any time with NED is great.

The commercial is one of the ones that Cancer Centers of America runs featuring 'Peggy' who says that she was dying of pancreatic cancer and CCA saved her. In the commercial 'Peggy' says the Dr told her that he did not see an expiration date written on the bottom of her foot.

Hope that helps a bit.

Susan

Thanks
    Guess I haven't been in the game long enough to get an NED. Thanks for the information.