FEELING SO HELPLESS... a tongue cancer surgery for a father-to-be

Options
2»

Comments

• Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813
    Options

Thanks all
    Thanks, Tim. And thanks everyone for your replies, concerns and encouragements.
    Really appreciate and grateful.

Just a little update, for the past few weeks, we have been seeking advice from several doctors. Seems like our only solution is surgery. The surgery was scheduled yesterday. However, my husband doesn't feel good to go through this surgery. We have been struggling esp for the past few days before the surgery date. After much thought and consideration, we decide to go for the alternative ways. It is not easy route. But we will go for it.

no surgery decision
    Nancy, I sent you a new private message. Please let us know what you decide to do about treatment. If you or your hubby want to speak live via telephone, or Skype, let me know and I will be happy to do that. I had the surgery and I would do it all over again without any hesitation.
    Ingrid
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Traditional Kind of Guy..
    Hi Nancy, while I can understand (well not really, I'm pretty traditional) your decision for alternative therapy.

I really wish you'd seek others such as Ingrid, or medical professionals whom can offer personal experience and their takes on it.

Sash on here comes to mind also, going through something much worse than your Dx if I remember correctly, I'm sure he could offer a lot for you to consider as well.

You guys just seem so young, and the odds of success appear to be very favorable for traditional treatment.

I can totally understand leaning toward an alternative approach if all traditional treatments have faild, or deemed to not be successful.

But, ultimately it is the decision of yours and only yours.

From my understanding you are in Singapore... There is a past forum member "Scambuster" that is also in Singapore. Scam, was also pretty pro alternative treatments for specific cancer treatment.

If you like, shoot me an email on here and I can possible get you in touch if you are interested.

Best,
    John
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options

Thanks all

Just a little update, for the past few weeks, we have been seeking advice from several doctors. Seems like our only solution is surgery. The surgery was scheduled yesterday. However, my husband doesn't feel good to go through this surgery. We have been struggling esp for the past few days before the surgery date. After much thought and consideration, we decide to go for the alternative ways. It is not easy route. But we will go for it.

I Know It's Very Scary
    But I hope you haven't ruled out surgery completely. Not that it isn't possible, but I don't remember seeing anyone on this site who eliminated their tongue cancer with alternative therapies - if that's the only thing you're going with, I sincerely hope your husband does well, and then he can be the first one I read of here.

I wish you well. And congratulations on your family addition. Keep us posted.
  • ooo
    ooo Member Posts: 105
    Options
    Pam M said:

I Know It's Very Scary
    But I hope you haven't ruled out surgery completely. Not that it isn't possible, but I don't remember seeing anyone on this site who eliminated their tongue cancer with alternative therapies - if that's the only thing you're going with, I sincerely hope your husband does well, and then he can be the first one I read of here.

I wish you well. And congratulations on your family addition. Keep us posted.

Hi Wishformiracle,
    As Pam

Hi Wishformiracle,

As Pam said, it's really unusual to hear of people who won the fight relying only on alternative methods. Make sure you do your homework reading about all your options. I did check out several alternative medicine websites which report their 18-month survival rates as being better than the traditional medicine survival rates. It may be. But I have never seen anything about 5-year survival rates, and I think I know why. There are no conspiracies, if curing cancer were as easy as drinking some green juice and doing yoga we all would be doing that.

I know how hard it is to think that your husband might not be able to talk properly. Before I had surgery for tongue cancer, I spent days and days thinking about how I would survive job interviews, meetings at work or a simple phone call from a stranger. These things do matter, especially for younger people like your husband and me (I'm 31).

A few months after surgery, my tongue is a bit less mobile than it used to be, but I have absolutely no speech impairment. I was stage I, but almost stage II. Your husband's tumor can't be much bigger than what I had. Even a couple of weeks after surgery, when I was still slurring, I had to meet with new people at work and guess what? I just did it. Business as usual. Everyone on this board had to get used to some "new normal" and everyone would tell you that whatever their new normal is, it beats the alternative.

Sometimes we just need a little kick to get going. At the beginning I got a few little kicks myself from some of the people here, and I will always be grateful for that.

I secretly hope that hearing some good stories like mine could make you change your mind about surgery, but stay assured that, whatever your decision, I and everyone on this board will always support you and your husband.
  • patricke
    patricke Member Posts: 570
    Options

Thanks all

BIG DECISION
    I second all of the comments before me. Keep in mind that your husband has stage 2, which is fairly early, so tissue loss from surgery probably would not be that extensive or speech dibilitating. I don't think that this is a decision to roll the dice on, when you have a choice with a great outcome track record. You have some good suggestions in the foregoing comments, it would be wise to consider them, and take up some of the offers.

PATRICK