Suzanne Summers

Options
kit kat
kit kat Member Posts: 56
Had a choice of taking chemo for her bc years ago and choose the holistic way .She seems to be doing great from what she says on tv. I have my problems from chemo from a to z. I wish I had chosed better .now I regret alot of things. What does everybody think? can we live better without it knowing what our death cert ultimatly will say?

Comments

  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Sorry...
    Personally I don't believe a word Suzanne summers says....I have seen her numerous times and never once has she EVER said even what type of breast cancer she had...never once!!!! Perhaps she didn't need chemo....not everyone does....she's in the business of selling her 23 books!

    I feel she's no more than a snake oil salesman....I remember seeing her in her kitchen, years ago, on Oprah.....she was hawking the 62 vitamins that she took daily....

    This is just my humble opinion!
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    No regrets here!
    I too don't have any respect for her either. Everyone is different. You body, genes, type, stage, age, etc..and not everyone gets the same treatment. Honestly? I would rather get all the treatments I could get so that I have no regrets later. The truth is you never know the future, but it seems more secure to me to know I'm in control of the situation. And in this case, we need backup (chemo, rads, pills, whatever it takes). I was dx at 32, I'm 33 now. And I have no regrets. If she is doing well, good for her, but that still doesn't dictate her future or ours. Although we have been dx, it doesn't mean this will be the cause of death. Remember, everyone is terminal. Keep the faith and stay positive. No regrets!
  • epark
    epark Member Posts: 339
    Options

    No regrets here!
    I too don't have any respect for her either. Everyone is different. You body, genes, type, stage, age, etc..and not everyone gets the same treatment. Honestly? I would rather get all the treatments I could get so that I have no regrets later. The truth is you never know the future, but it seems more secure to me to know I'm in control of the situation. And in this case, we need backup (chemo, rads, pills, whatever it takes). I was dx at 32, I'm 33 now. And I have no regrets. If she is doing well, good for her, but that still doesn't dictate her future or ours. Although we have been dx, it doesn't mean this will be the cause of death. Remember, everyone is terminal. Keep the faith and stay positive. No regrets!

    Yeah...Not a big fan of
    Yeah...Not a big fan of hers... I agree with everything Nancy said.... I did chemo and had horrible side effects however, I have NO regrets...I did everything I possibly can to see my kids grow up...

    Eva
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Suzanne Sommers is an OLD
    Suzanne Sommers is an OLD sit-com gal. She is now an 'InfoMercia' Queen!l. She is only selling what will make her monny and that is the bottom line for her - MONEY for her.

    There is no documentation of any of her 'Snake Oil' stories.

    Winyan - The Power Within

    Susan
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

    Suzanne Sommers is an OLD
    Suzanne Sommers is an OLD sit-com gal. She is now an 'InfoMercia' Queen!l. She is only selling what will make her monny and that is the bottom line for her - MONEY for her.

    There is no documentation of any of her 'Snake Oil' stories.

    Winyan - The Power Within

    Susan

    I am in total agreement with all the ladies
    and I resent the fact that an "actress" (and I use the term loosely) tries to make those of us in the fight feel like maybe we did the wrong thing or made wrong choices in listening to our professional oncologists and surgeons--who have all studied for many years in hopes of helping us all beat this horrible disease. In my humble opinion, she has absolutely no credibility at all.

    Everyone is free to make their own choices and I, for one, am happy with the medical choices I've made backed by years of research and years of study.

    Hugs, Renee
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    missrenee said:

    I am in total agreement with all the ladies
    and I resent the fact that an "actress" (and I use the term loosely) tries to make those of us in the fight feel like maybe we did the wrong thing or made wrong choices in listening to our professional oncologists and surgeons--who have all studied for many years in hopes of helping us all beat this horrible disease. In my humble opinion, she has absolutely no credibility at all.

    Everyone is free to make their own choices and I, for one, am happy with the medical choices I've made backed by years of research and years of study.

    Hugs, Renee

    I'm with
    I'm you ladies.....she's only trying to sell books and make money.

    Debi
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Suzanne Somers, Manipulator
    Dear Kit Kat,

    I don't know what stage cancer you had but, if your oncologist did prescribe chemotherapy then it more than likely it was a wise choice that you did it. Ms. Somers books are full of holes with no real scientific data to back up her claims.

    She quotes Dr. Burzynski clinic in one of her books. This doctor's treatment has no real, proven scientific data that his treatment works, it is not FDA approved and no insurance will cover treatments by him. You can read up on him for yourself. I concluded he is basically a very wealthy fraud as one can't have one cure that fits all advance cancers. That alone is a big red flag for me.

    Ms. Somers mistletoe treatment has no proven data that it works. I have been reading about her since she had some diet book and was caught having lipsosuction. She had stage I cancer that may have done well with surgery alone. She did do radiation and took mistletoe extract instead of chemotherapy. I'm not knocking natural plants for many of our medicines are made up from natural plant, Taxol (Pacific Yew) and others which escape as I type. They all undergo a lot of testing before being qualified as a drug.

    Ms. Somers is great in manipulating gullible people into believing she has all the answers when most of us realize that a lot of the questions about breast cancer still are waiting for answers.

    I do agree with these other ladies about Ms. Somers.

    Do hope you live a long cancer free life.

    Best,

    Doris
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    SIROD said:

    Suzanne Somers, Manipulator
    Dear Kit Kat,

    I don't know what stage cancer you had but, if your oncologist did prescribe chemotherapy then it more than likely it was a wise choice that you did it. Ms. Somers books are full of holes with no real scientific data to back up her claims.

    She quotes Dr. Burzynski clinic in one of her books. This doctor's treatment has no real, proven scientific data that his treatment works, it is not FDA approved and no insurance will cover treatments by him. You can read up on him for yourself. I concluded he is basically a very wealthy fraud as one can't have one cure that fits all advance cancers. That alone is a big red flag for me.

    Ms. Somers mistletoe treatment has no proven data that it works. I have been reading about her since she had some diet book and was caught having lipsosuction. She had stage I cancer that may have done well with surgery alone. She did do radiation and took mistletoe extract instead of chemotherapy. I'm not knocking natural plants for many of our medicines are made up from natural plant, Taxol (Pacific Yew) and others which escape as I type. They all undergo a lot of testing before being qualified as a drug.

    Ms. Somers is great in manipulating gullible people into believing she has all the answers when most of us realize that a lot of the questions about breast cancer still are waiting for answers.

    I do agree with these other ladies about Ms. Somers.

    Do hope you live a long cancer free life.

    Best,

    Doris

    Ditto
    I echo what everyone says here, particularly the part about maybe she didn't have to have chemo in the first place. I don't know. She implies that it was recommended, and she refused. Each treatment we have increases our odds of survival. Even if she "needed" chemo and passed on it, chemo would have added to her odds of not having mets, but doesn't mean she won't have them. Or that she will. She was Stage 1. I believe she had a mastectomy (seems like she had reconstruction in another country by someone who had a "natural approach" not available here yet.

    I do believe that lifestyle changes can improve our survival, but Suzanne Sommers is not a medical person and while her thing about toxins is supported by a lot of medical research, I don't believe she has the answer to it.

    There are many women who "pass" on chemo or cannot complete their protocol who do just fine. Chemo is nasty stuff and comes with its own set of risks. You should not feel bad if you can't finish your chemo. This is a conversation you should have with your oncologist, not by listening to Suzanne Sommers, altho you can and should ask your oncologist for his/her opinions on her.

    Best wishes,
    Suzanne
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Options

    Ditto
    I echo what everyone says here, particularly the part about maybe she didn't have to have chemo in the first place. I don't know. She implies that it was recommended, and she refused. Each treatment we have increases our odds of survival. Even if she "needed" chemo and passed on it, chemo would have added to her odds of not having mets, but doesn't mean she won't have them. Or that she will. She was Stage 1. I believe she had a mastectomy (seems like she had reconstruction in another country by someone who had a "natural approach" not available here yet.

    I do believe that lifestyle changes can improve our survival, but Suzanne Sommers is not a medical person and while her thing about toxins is supported by a lot of medical research, I don't believe she has the answer to it.

    There are many women who "pass" on chemo or cannot complete their protocol who do just fine. Chemo is nasty stuff and comes with its own set of risks. You should not feel bad if you can't finish your chemo. This is a conversation you should have with your oncologist, not by listening to Suzanne Sommers, altho you can and should ask your oncologist for his/her opinions on her.

    Best wishes,
    Suzanne

    Suzanne
    I agree with everyone. She never says what size her tumor was or what kind it was. She sells books.

    Also, did anyone see her on Rachael Ray today ? Her face looked like it was made of ceramic. Way too much Botox Ms. Sommers. Isn't she about 65 ?
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    GrandmaJ said:

    Suzanne
    I agree with everyone. She never says what size her tumor was or what kind it was. She sells books.

    Also, did anyone see her on Rachael Ray today ? Her face looked like it was made of ceramic. Way too much Botox Ms. Sommers. Isn't she about 65 ?

    Meow
    I saw her today on Rachel Ray. And yes, she is 65. I'm getting ready to turn 65 myself in a month and while I do still have some vanity left, I just can't imagine wanting to look and dress like her at my age. I think I live young and I really have to remind myself how old I am because I don't don't feel like it. There is simply nothing wrong with being 65 IMHO!

    Suzanne
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

    Meow
    I saw her today on Rachel Ray. And yes, she is 65. I'm getting ready to turn 65 myself in a month and while I do still have some vanity left, I just can't imagine wanting to look and dress like her at my age. I think I live young and I really have to remind myself how old I am because I don't don't feel like it. There is simply nothing wrong with being 65 IMHO!

    Suzanne

    Just...
    Just saw her on The Today Show....now she's claiming she had a lumpectomy and a Japanese doctor came here and got her boob back to it's original BIG size with stem cells.....yeah right! As I said, she's hawking a new book!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

    Just...
    Just saw her on The Today Show....now she's claiming she had a lumpectomy and a Japanese doctor came here and got her boob back to it's original BIG size with stem cells.....yeah right! As I said, she's hawking a new book!

    Bumping up
    Doing my best to bump up all of yesterday's posts, past those of last night's spammers, so they don't get lost.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

    Bumping up
    Doing my best to bump up all of yesterday's posts, past those of last night's spammers, so they don't get lost.

    Wasn't that amazing?! What
    Wasn't that amazing?! What was the point of posting so much spam in a language that very few (if any) who come here could read?
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Nope, no regrets,
    When she gets her MD and specializes in oncology, I may be inclined to listen. I agree, she probably never needed any additional treatment. I have this issue with so many of the "stars", who get on and give advise on chemo when they never needed it or had it. Our stories are all different, and I feel so bad for those of us with IBC, or triple negative, or other aggressive grade 3 cancers who may take their advice and therefore limit their chances for remission.

    Chemo sucks, but at least I am still here to say it!
  • Melaniedoingwell
    Melaniedoingwell Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Suzanne Sommers
    I agree with all these responses and I think she is a bit of a wack-a-doo! I remember watching some show some time back where she talked about her haircut - and that she got all her ideas for her haircuts from dogs. Hmmm.

    She "treats" aging as if it were a disease and some of the things that she does to fight said dread disease are just plain weird!

    I also won't buy a book from her!!
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Personally, I think I would
    Personally, I think I would be dead right now without chemo. I'm triple negative IBC...a highly aggressive difficult to fight cancer. No regrets for me, even though I have several long term issues because of the chemo. Better to have a few issues and live...

    Hugs,

    Linda
  • Margeaux
    Margeaux Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Suzanne the cancer "expert"
    I saw Suzanne in her plastic glory being interviewed by Piers Morgan on CNN, I could only tolerate a couple of minutes of it, I was so spitting mad. Here is Piers Morgan, who is supposedly an intelligent person accepting her nonsense with total seriousness. It would be laughable if it wouldn't be so serious. How many woman will decide to forgo treatment after listening to her? Does anyone know if she really had BC? She had to go to Japan to get reconstruction, there is no-one in the whole of the US capable of such surgery? She sells books for a living since her acting "career" ended in the toilet. The real culprits, however, are the media who will give her air time. Kit-Kat, no-one can see into the future, which is a good thing. I know for sure, though, that without chemo, surgery and radiation this is what it would say on mine, cause of death - Breast Cancer.
    Margeaux
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Considering
    that she does a lot of exercise, this is the likely reason she is still in good health. My medical oncologist suggested exercise as a way to improve your odds of surviving breast cancer. There is some science behind this as I have done some research on bc. Am I real good at it (exercise). No but I am not lousy at it either. If the exercise seems to fit into my goals for the day it gets done. For those who have triple negative bc chemo is pretty much our biggest hope.

    I listen to her about the same way I would listen to her character Chrissy on the show.