Is this nausea normal?

salls41
salls41 Member Posts: 340
I had my last chemo treatment two weeks ago, last one of 6 TAC. I am still nauseous after I try eating. Is this sick feeling ever going to end? I am also feeling very fatigued ~ is it the cumulative effects of the chemo? I am beginning to get tired of everyone asking how I feel because I feel like I should be feeling better and be able to eat and drink again.How long after your last treatment did you begin to feel "good"?
sandy

Comments

• ksf56
    ksf56 Member Posts: 202
    yeah
    My ability to eat came and went for a while after I finished chemo. I had little episodes of nausea too. It stinks! I had radiation too and it really left me fatigued - more than chemo, if that's possible. I do think it's an accumulation of all we've gone through. You can't suddenly pop-up, as good as new! Yeah, like that's going to happen. I don't know a good come back to "How're you feeling?" - if they knew the truth, they wouldn't ask you again.

I hope you feel better - I can testify, it doesn't last forever.

Karen
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Nausea and Fatigue
    My last chemo (4 A/C and 12 Taxotere (T)) was 0n 8/4/2010. It was 3 weeks later until I could hold down any food. It started off very slowly when I found I was able to hold down a few bites of an apple salad at a reception banquet. Later that night I was adventurous and tried some boiled pasta. Another success. It was almost like a switch had been tripped from OFF to ON. Once I started eating I began to feel better. It probably took months before my energy really came back to anything approaching normalcy. It is the cumulative effects of the chemo for sure. As time went on they will dissipate. I have definitely gained back all the weight I lost during chemo. Oh well. It is hard to believe how awful I felt then in comparison to how well I feel now.

You WILL get past this.

IRENE
  • salls41
    ksf56 said:

yeah
    My ability to eat came and went for a while after I finished chemo. I had little episodes of nausea too. It stinks! I had radiation too and it really left me fatigued - more than chemo, if that's possible. I do think it's an accumulation of all we've gone through. You can't suddenly pop-up, as good as new! Yeah, like that's going to happen. I don't know a good come back to "How're you feeling?" - if they knew the truth, they wouldn't ask you again.

I hope you feel better - I can testify, it doesn't last forever.

Karen

Thank You!
    Thank you!
  • salls41

Nausea and Fatigue
    My last chemo (4 A/C and 12 Taxotere (T)) was 0n 8/4/2010. It was 3 weeks later until I could hold down any food. It started off very slowly when I found I was able to hold down a few bites of an apple salad at a reception banquet. Later that night I was adventurous and tried some boiled pasta. Another success. It was almost like a switch had been tripped from OFF to ON. Once I started eating I began to feel better. It probably took months before my energy really came back to anything approaching normalcy. It is the cumulative effects of the chemo for sure. As time went on they will dissipate. I have definitely gained back all the weight I lost during chemo. Oh well. It is hard to believe how awful I felt then in comparison to how well I feel now.

You WILL get past this.

IRENE

Thank You
    Thank You~ I look forward to the day I can respond to someone else with the same response you gave me :)
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    salls41 said:

Thank You
    Thank You~ I look forward to the day I can respond to someone else with the same response you gave me :)

Very, very normal
    The taste does come back, but to be honest, there were some things I could not tolerate for a few months after chemo ended (TAC). You will definitely get there--meanwhile, try little bites of different things and find the things that taste okay. The chemicals that were put in our bodies needed to be strong and mean and really messed with a lot of things.

Also, try not to be too hard on yourself. It takes a really long time to recover from these treatments and don't feel like you have to rush it or feel bad telling people the truth. Anyone who hasn't been through what we have just doesn't have the ability to understand. Hang in there.

Hugs, Renee
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    salls41 said:

Thank You

Very, very normal
    The taste does come back, but to be honest, there were some things I could not tolerate for a few months after chemo ended (TAC). You will definitely get there--meanwhile, try little bites of different things and find the things that taste okay. The chemicals that were put in our bodies needed to be strong and mean and really messed with a lot of things.

Also, try not to be too hard on yourself. It takes a really long time to recover from these treatments and don't feel like you have to rush it or feel bad telling people the truth. Anyone who hasn't been through what we have just doesn't have the ability to understand. Hang in there.

Hugs, Renee
  • salls41
    missrenee said:

Very, very normal

Hugs, Renee

thank you
    Thanks Renee, I am so glad to have this board to turn to where others understand so well.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    salls41 said:

thank you
    Thanks Renee, I am so glad to have this board to turn to where others understand so well.

It takes a while. be gentle
    It takes a while. be gentle with yourself and dont expect oo much too soon. A rule of thumb to recover is how long your teatment was. if your treatment was over 6 months then it will take AT LEAST six months. I think age has something to do with it as well. I have faced the fact that I have to pace myself. I also think I had a delayed reaction to radiation. It all gets better, but it takes time. I just started to like coffee again after two years!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    salls41 said:

thank you

Hoping that you will start
    Hoping that you will start to feel better with each day. That's a beautiful picture for your avatar.

Hugs, Lex
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    The effects are cummulative.
    The effects are cummulative. By the end of my first 8 rounds tired was my new normal. After surgery I had 10 more rounds and I was constantly fitqued. For me the nauseous came and went but the heartburn stayed all the time. Compazine became my drug of choice.

I have been told a good of rule of thumb is for every month of chemo it takes two months to recover. I had 18 rounds of chemo which covered 14months so I figured it would take me 28 months to get over. Luckily after 16 months I can say I feel pretty good.
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    It will get better...
    I had stomach sickness with AC not Taxol. Taxol was much easier for me to tolerate. I must tell you, Ativan (anxiety pill) helped with all of it! Whenever I felt sick to my stomach I would take one pill, and in a matter of 30 minutes I will feel better. And even feel hungry! This pill really helped me a lot.

Chemo side effects can be cumulative. But you will get past this for sure. Just give it time. I started to feel much better 3 weeks after my last chemo...but its' a process and it takes time. But promise you will see the different soon after this stops.

Hugs to you and Good Luck with what's left of your treatment(s)..