OT for Trader Joe’s fans: Cookbook & yummy recipe recommendation!

Options
TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
I know we have a lot of Trader Joe’s fans on this site –- did you know there are cookbooks out there devoted to recipes using Trader Joe’s products? I had no idea –- where have I been?

So, after some Barnes & Noble retail therapy (you can buy them at Amazon, too), I spent this weekend cooking from what seems to be the biggest, most comprehensive one: Cooking with All Things Trader Joe’s Cookbook, by Deanna Gunn and Wona Miniati.

The Apricot Baked Brie and Pear-Gorgonzola Quesadillas were fine, though not spectacular. And the Shredded Pork Enchiladas Verde made a good family dinner, though didn’t really rock my world.

But oh...my...the Almond Pudding. I mean, SERIOUSLY good, and very easy to make. I’ve pasted the recipe below, if you’d like to try a truly yummy, but different, dessert.

(And didn’t I read somewhere that almonds have cancer-fighting properties? I’m just sure I have. I really should go eat some more –- in the name of scientific research, of course....:-)

Traci

Almond Pudding
from the Cooking with All Things Trader Joe’s Cookbook

2 cups Trader Joe’s Just Almond Meal (finely ground almonds)
1 quart or 4 cups whole milk
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon instant coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until smooth.

As it just begins to simmer, turn heat to very low, and continue stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. The pudding will thicken a little as it cooks, but don’t worry if it still looks runny. It will set nicely as it cools.

Spoon into small dishes and chill in the fridge for a couple of hours, or overnight.

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    Oh Yum
    Now isn't this a bit of good news! Thanks for sharing, the recipe sounds yummy!

RE
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    RE said:

Oh Yum

RE

Thanks Traci, I also love
    Thanks Traci, I also love the You bars you recomended!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    RE said:

Oh Yum

RE

Yes, thanks Traci for this
    Yes, thanks Traci for this recipe!

Sue :)
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's cookbook for college students
    I also had no idea that Trader Joe's cookbooks existed until just before my daughter left for college this past September. She asked that I buy her "I Love Trader Joe's College Cookbook:150 Cheap and Easy Gourmet Recipes." So that my baby would not starve the book was purchased. She hasn't starved or poisoned herself so I guess it worked out well.

IRENE
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options

Trader Joe's cookbook for college students
    I also had no idea that Trader Joe's cookbooks existed until just before my daughter left for college this past September. She asked that I buy her "I Love Trader Joe's College Cookbook:150 Cheap and Easy Gourmet Recipes." So that my baby would not starve the book was purchased. She hasn't starved or poisoned herself so I guess it worked out well.

IRENE

I'll have to check out this
    I'll have to check out this cookbook. I've never heard of Trader Joe's. And, I will try your recipe.

Thanks, Lex