Maybe someone has some advice?

Options
tommycat
tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
I am having a problem with the contrast agent used in the CT scans and am hoping someone may have some answers/ideas.
The first time it happened I had something called "Delayed Biphasic Anaphylaxis" happen, which put me in the ER via ambulance.
For my second scan last Wed., I was prepped with 150mgs of prednisone, then given an IV of Benydryl. I had the reaction any way. Seems like I am very sensitive to the dye, even with precautions taken.
Is there another way to get the same results that a CT would show?
I really appreciate any feedback. My next scan will be in 6 months so I'd like to get all my (alternative) ducks lined up before that time.
Thanks all~
PS: the scan came out clear--beautifully clear~

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Hi TC
    Try Ramps!
    ;-)
    I'll see if I can dig anything up. I haven't had any issues with contrast...yet.
    -p
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Wonderful news about the clear scan, but not so good about the reaction.

I found the following on the web...at the bottom it talks about how to prevent. While some of it is what you got this last time, it does seem to indicate earlier administration of them.

http://allergies.about.com/od/medicationallergies/a/rcmallergy.htm

Here's hoping that some of this or other info you get will keep it from happening again.

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    Options
    Do you have the reaction to
    Do you have the reaction to the barium they have you drink or the contrast they inject toward the end?

I had a reaction to the injected contrast like 21 years ago and have never had the contrast again. Even with my colon scans before surgery, after, now- the surgeon and my oncologist just don't seem to care or mind that the contrast isn't a part of the scan. I do drink the barium and that is all they seem to care about. I know I can be prepped if I need a contrast scan, but nobody in the last 21 years has seemed to think it was necessary?
  • lauragb
    lauragb Member Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure this is advice.
    I'm not sure this is advice. But before my surgery I had an MRI without and with a contrast that was different than the usual stuff. The contrast was timed to go into my IV toward the end of the test. Before the MRI, ultrasound gel was inserted in my rectum (still had one then). I don't know what the difference is between this type of MRI and a CT in the scheme of what it shows. It does sound to me like they need to find an alternative method of checking you out.

In spite of the difficulties you had, I am so happy to hear you were clear! Congratulations:)
    Laura
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    lauragb said:

I'm not sure this is advice.
    I'm not sure this is advice. But before my surgery I had an MRI without and with a contrast that was different than the usual stuff. The contrast was timed to go into my IV toward the end of the test. Before the MRI, ultrasound gel was inserted in my rectum (still had one then). I don't know what the difference is between this type of MRI and a CT in the scheme of what it shows. It does sound to me like they need to find an alternative method of checking you out.

In spite of the difficulties you had, I am so happy to hear you were clear! Congratulations:)
    Laura

I have no answers for you,
    I have no answers for you, I suppose it would be trial and error as to which contrast is causing the reaction. I know the injection stuff is hard on your kidneys. Great that your scans were clear.
  • plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Yay Tori!! Cheers for the
    Yay Tori!! Cheers for the good scan :)

Sorry I havent tried the ramps yet to know if they help with the reaction. he he
    Wish you didn't have to go through that.

Gail
  • gophergenius
    gophergenius Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Hello
    I am very allergic to Iodine...my doctor gives me 3 prescriptions I start taking 12 hours before my scans. I do not know what type of allergic reaction it is, but I cannot eat shrimp and such. My tongue and lips start to burn and swell then my throat swells and I cannot breath. Maybe you are allergic as well????
  • gophergenius
    gophergenius Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Hello
    I am very allergic to Iodine...my doctor gives me 3 prescriptions I start taking 12 hours before my scans. I do not know what type of allergic reaction it is, but I cannot eat shrimp and such. My tongue and lips start to burn and swell then my throat swells and I cannot breath. Maybe you are allergic as well????
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Thanks all
    Thanks guys....all sorts of information here that I can present before my next scan.
    Enjoy your day~
  • RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Contrast
    There are different contrast agents. I had to change because one of my kidneys does not work and the normal contrast is hard on the kidneys.
  • Luckygirl2
    Luckygirl2 Member Posts: 308
    Options
    Clear scan!
    Great news of a clear scan! Hoping you can find a fix for the reaction.