Intraoperative Radiation Therapy with Lumpectomy

Options
mimikitty
mimikitty Member Posts: 30 Member
edited April 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
I am considering a lumpectomy procedure to remove my tumor. An issue I have with lumpectomy is that it requires radiation be applied to my breast after the procedure. I am extremely hesitant about the side-effects caused by radiation, particularly to my heart, lungs and blood vessels. I was considering mastectomy to avoid needing radiation until in my research I found something called intraoperative radiation therapy. It's where the radiation is targeted to the tumor bed during the surgery. It results in much less cumulative radiation to the body than standard treatments, and it's more targeted to the place that needs it.

So far, I found two places that offer this treatment. One is Cancer Centers of America in Chicago and the other is Stanford Medical School in California. I learned that while this procedure has been successfully used in Europe for many years, it is still only considered experimental in the US. I prefer an educational setting so I'm considering Stanford Medical School over Cancer Centers of America. Stanford closed their trial but they still perform this procedure as "off-protocol" to those who wish to have it and meet their strict criteria.

I'm wondering if anyone has had this procedure done and what their experience was.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    My situation
    My situation was different than yours.I had no chemo or radiation but a lumpectomy.I was dx with DCIS non invasive Stage 0 bc. But my friend had chemo and radiation.She was Stage 3 with 3 nodes involved.Her cancer was invasive. She had radiation after chemo.I took her to some of her appt.She told me it was a breeze compared to the chemo and her only problem was her breast were very red but she was able to treat that.That is the only complaint she had. She is a 17 year survivor having a lumpectomy with Stage 3 invasive bc. It worked.

Lynn Smith
  • Lynn Smith
    Options
    My situation
    My situation was different than yours.I had no chemo or radiation but a lumpectomy.I was dx with DCIS non invasive Stage 0 bc. But my friend had chemo and radiation.She was Stage 3 with 3 nodes involved.Her cancer was invasive. She had radiation after chemo.I took her to some of her appt.She told me it was a breeze compared to the chemo and her only problem was her breast were very red but she was able to treat that.That is the only complaint she had. She is a 17 year survivor having a lumpectomy with Stage 3 invasive bc. It worked.

Lynn Smith
  • Lynn Smith
    Options

My situation

Lynn Smith

Sorry for the double post
    Sorry for the double post but my posts are taking forever to go through.So long I wonder IF I even pressed Post Comment.I did.My computer is slow so maybe that is the reason????

Lynn Smith
  • ThycaAnne
    ThycaAnne Member Posts: 68
    Options
    Brachytherapy....
    Hi--

Have you looked into brachytherapy or do you know if you are a candidate for it? For brachytherapy, they insert a radiation catheter into the lumpectomy cavity.Then they hook you up to the machine twice a day for 5 days. I go to MDAnderson here in Houston & that's what I had done. It was VERY easy & almost no side effects. I did get a little redness about 4 weeks later & had a little fatigue--but really no big deal. I was Stage 1, tumor was about a centimeter, I had negative lymph nodes & clean margins. You do have to be over 50.

You might look into it. I know when I asked about the intraoperative radiation, they said it was still very new here in the US.

Let us know what you decide to do......

Anne
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I've not heard of this, but,
    I've not heard of this, but, if you decide to go ahead with it, I wish you good luck and hope that you will share your experience with us.

By the way, I had a lumpectomy with rads and am doing very well.

Good luck,

Noel
  • mimikitty
    mimikitty Member Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Noel said:

I've not heard of this, but,
    I've not heard of this, but, if you decide to go ahead with it, I wish you good luck and hope that you will share your experience with us.

By the way, I had a lumpectomy with rads and am doing very well.

Good luck,

Noel

I am not a candidate for
    I am not a candidate for Brachytherapy because I am 41 and therefore too young to qualify. I sent my records to Stanford Medical School on Friday and haven't heard back from them yet to see if they would accept me for the procedure. I am very concerned about the long-term effects of radiation exposure, but really would like to keep my breast if at all possible.
  • Penny67
    Penny67 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    mimikitty said:

I am not a candidate for
    I am not a candidate for Brachytherapy because I am 41 and therefore too young to qualify. I sent my records to Stanford Medical School on Friday and haven't heard back from them yet to see if they would accept me for the procedure. I am very concerned about the long-term effects of radiation exposure, but really would like to keep my breast if at all possible.

CTCA is a great place!
    My husband husband was treated at CTCA in Zion back in 2001 (funny how the tv adds list Chicago because Zion probably wouldn't attract many people) and I have nothing but positive things to say about CTCA. If my cancer was anything but straightforward treatment and early stage, I would have headed straight to CTCA for treatment. The part that I like about CTCA was they treated the whole person, not just the cancer. They incorporated natural therapies, vitamins, supplements, spiritual guidance, healthy organic foods at their amazing cafe (where family members ate free of charge) and the latest in cutting edge treatment. My husband unfortunately did not survive, but he lived 13 months compared to the 3 month prognosis he was initially given by UW Madison and Mayo clinic.