Does anyone have implants?

Options
4lovenoni
4lovenoni Member Posts: 4
I had a lumpectomy to remove my cancer, I'm about to start radiation. I'm worried as to the effect it will have on the implant? I asked my oncologist and she said there is a 50-50 chance it will. Has anyone had my problem?

Comments

• butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options
    Hi,
    I personally didn't have implants prior to radiation therapy but I did have tissue expanders inflated and in place. I didn't have any issues as my plastic surgeon placed them in a position where they were out of my radiation field. Now with that said, I also have a friend that had to have one of her tissue expanders deflated to allow the radiation oncologist to angle the beam to get her projected area without touching her lung underneath. So a lot will depend on your films that your radiation oncologist aligns for you.

Also when I was going through my radiation another girl who I met here on this board had already had her implants in place. She didn't have any trouble. I am assuming you have silicone implants and not saline? Saline at a time like this would have been easily deflated to allow access if needed. But think positive you could be one of the 50 percent.

Good luck ♥
    Lorrie
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Options
    Down the road, it will have an effect
    Did not have radiation after mastectomies and breast reconstruction. Very rare to get recurrence on scar 3 years later. Then had radiation. The first year following radiation, the breast was perfect. Into the second year, scar tissue has developed within the breast, but it has not affected the implant. So...the breast does not feel as soft and supple as it did with the implants prior to radiation. It feels firmer inside the breast.

I asked my plastic surgeon if it makes a difference as to when you have breast reconstruction and radiation is required. He said, "No, it does not matter before or after radiation. Your tissue inside your breast will change."

I have talked to women who have had lumpectomies and radiation, and they say that their breast feels great inside. I specifically asked if their breast was firmer. They said that it felt the same as it did prior to radiation.

I guess it depends on the individual and the skill of your radiation doctor.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

Hi,
    I personally didn't have implants prior to radiation therapy but I did have tissue expanders inflated and in place. I didn't have any issues as my plastic surgeon placed them in a position where they were out of my radiation field. Now with that said, I also have a friend that had to have one of her tissue expanders deflated to allow the radiation oncologist to angle the beam to get her projected area without touching her lung underneath. So a lot will depend on your films that your radiation oncologist aligns for you.

Also when I was going through my radiation another girl who I met here on this board had already had her implants in place. She didn't have any trouble. I am assuming you have silicone implants and not saline? Saline at a time like this would have been easily deflated to allow access if needed. But think positive you could be one of the 50 percent.

Good luck ♥
    Lorrie

I don't have implants, but,
    I don't have implants, but, wanted to wish you the best of luck with rads!

Sue :)
  • 4lovenoni
    Options

Hi,

Good luck ♥
    Lorrie

Implants
    Thank you so much, I had my 1st treatment today only 29 more to go.They are saline, they didn't sugest removal, you cant deflate and inflate again, I know God is watching over me and its going to be ok. My biggest concern was not to have complications.
    God Bless,
    Alina
  • 4lovenoni
    Options
    Ritzy said:

I don't have implants, but,
    I don't have implants, but, wanted to wish you the best of luck with rads!

Sue :)

Treatment

thank you so much! Had my first treatment today and it was ok,
    Alina
  • 4lovenoni
    Options

Down the road, it will have an effect
    Did not have radiation after mastectomies and breast reconstruction. Very rare to get recurrence on scar 3 years later. Then had radiation. The first year following radiation, the breast was perfect. Into the second year, scar tissue has developed within the breast, but it has not affected the implant. So...the breast does not feel as soft and supple as it did with the implants prior to radiation. It feels firmer inside the breast.

I asked my plastic surgeon if it makes a difference as to when you have breast reconstruction and radiation is required. He said, "No, it does not matter before or after radiation. Your tissue inside your breast will change."

I have talked to women who have had lumpectomies and radiation, and they say that their breast feels great inside. I specifically asked if their breast was firmer. They said that it felt the same as it did prior to radiation.

I guess it depends on the individual and the skill of your radiation doctor.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle

Can't wait!
    Thanks for the information its like putting a puzzle together, I like my Dr.'s real well, it helps a lot to believe in them.
    Alina
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    4lovenoni said:

Can't wait!
    Thanks for the information its like putting a puzzle together, I like my Dr.'s real well, it helps a lot to believe in them.
    Alina

Yes~
    Yes, I have saline implants and also though that radiation would be problem. My Dr. assured me I wouldn't have any problems. I finished 35 rounds in January and didn't have any issues.

Good luck!

Hugs, Debi
  • cejota
    cejota Member Posts: 24
    Options
    debi.18 said:

Yes~
    Yes, I have saline implants and also though that radiation would be problem. My Dr. assured me I wouldn't have any problems. I finished 35 rounds in January and didn't have any issues.

Good luck!

Hugs, Debi

implants
    I had a double mastectomy with chemo....then I had expanders and exchange with silicone implants. I couldn't be happier! I think it all depends on who you go to.....Dr. Dan Downey in Seattle is amazing!!!! I wish you well!
    Chris
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    4lovenoni said:

Implants
    Thank you so much, I had my 1st treatment today only 29 more to go.They are saline, they didn't sugest removal, you cant deflate and inflate again, I know God is watching over me and its going to be ok. My biggest concern was not to have complications.
    God Bless,
    Alina

Congrats on your first rads
    Congrats on your first rads being done! I hope the time goes fast for you and you have no problems. Keep us updated.

Hugs, Leeza