Post double mastectomy surgery advice

Options
Katie17
Katie17 Member Posts: 8
Hii-I am having a double mastectomy next thursday for a DCIS diagnosis. Although it is considered stage 0, the cells ate high grade and the area is large relative to the size of me. Does anyone have advice for post surgery care? Is sleeping difficult! Should I get special pillows? Did you have a nurse come to help you at all? I work, how long until I will be able to go to the office even part time? How about clothes? Should I invest in some larger button down shirts or something else?

Thank you!

Comments

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Surgery
    Hi, I also had a double mastectomy about 1month ago. Like everything we all heal differently. I wore a soft loose cami or mens sleeveless undershirts under button up shirts. You will have drain tubes in for any where from a few days to several weeks. They are thin tubes insirted in your side with small attatched containers that need to be emptied. They are just plain weird and cumbersome but don't really hurt. They will drain the fluid that builds up after surgery. Any how, the collection part I would pin to the cami, or sometimes wear a soft fleece jacket with those inside pockets and they would fit in there. You will get creative and work it out, just think softness...your skin will be sensitive. I had extra pillows and slept fine but on my back with head elevated and sometimes a pillow under my arms. The muscles under your arms will feel tight and for a week or so need to be very careful not to reach too high or lift too heavy. I had put most often used dishes, coffee, cereal, things in fridge, on lower shelves, tho learned to just stand on a chair if it was too high rather than stretch. I had a hard time opening tightly screwed on lids, so loosen ahead of time. I have to admit I felt much better than I thought I would. My husband is also ill and usually I am the caregiver, and we managed fine with no nurse. Some friends brought over casseroles and soup, and that was nice to be able to just warm up. Physically I could have cooked, but was just tired....maybe prepare a few things and put in freezer. I was told to watch for signs of infection in the surgery site, and just basic keeping clean. I was able to shower, and tho it tired me out it felt great. It was a little hard with the drain tubes but I actually showered with an old bra on so I could have them pinned to the sides rather than just hanging, then just took it off when done. I am unemployed at the time and don't know what the docs recommend on going back to work, but...if I had a job in an office, I feel like I could have gone in about 2.5 or 3 weeks part time, mostly because of tiredness. Its good to get back to things but don't plan to overdue, you are going through a lot and need time to heal. There will be follow-up appointments, and possible medications to adjust to also, so everyone is different. Good luck with all, you sound like you are getting prepared, you will do fine. Plan to be hurting at first, but seems to rapidly get better each day from the start. Let us know how all goes. As always,all in my prayers.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    eihtak said:

Surgery
    Hi, I also had a double mastectomy about 1month ago. Like everything we all heal differently. I wore a soft loose cami or mens sleeveless undershirts under button up shirts. You will have drain tubes in for any where from a few days to several weeks. They are thin tubes insirted in your side with small attatched containers that need to be emptied. They are just plain weird and cumbersome but don't really hurt. They will drain the fluid that builds up after surgery. Any how, the collection part I would pin to the cami, or sometimes wear a soft fleece jacket with those inside pockets and they would fit in there. You will get creative and work it out, just think softness...your skin will be sensitive. I had extra pillows and slept fine but on my back with head elevated and sometimes a pillow under my arms. The muscles under your arms will feel tight and for a week or so need to be very careful not to reach too high or lift too heavy. I had put most often used dishes, coffee, cereal, things in fridge, on lower shelves, tho learned to just stand on a chair if it was too high rather than stretch. I had a hard time opening tightly screwed on lids, so loosen ahead of time. I have to admit I felt much better than I thought I would. My husband is also ill and usually I am the caregiver, and we managed fine with no nurse. Some friends brought over casseroles and soup, and that was nice to be able to just warm up. Physically I could have cooked, but was just tired....maybe prepare a few things and put in freezer. I was told to watch for signs of infection in the surgery site, and just basic keeping clean. I was able to shower, and tho it tired me out it felt great. It was a little hard with the drain tubes but I actually showered with an old bra on so I could have them pinned to the sides rather than just hanging, then just took it off when done. I am unemployed at the time and don't know what the docs recommend on going back to work, but...if I had a job in an office, I feel like I could have gone in about 2.5 or 3 weeks part time, mostly because of tiredness. Its good to get back to things but don't plan to overdue, you are going through a lot and need time to heal. There will be follow-up appointments, and possible medications to adjust to also, so everyone is different. Good luck with all, you sound like you are getting prepared, you will do fine. Plan to be hurting at first, but seems to rapidly get better each day from the start. Let us know how all goes. As always,all in my prayers.

... a few suggestions
    Take pain medication when necessary -- Please!

Multiple pillows in various, sizes help with sleeping on your back, some Sisters
    in PINK sleep on a recliner.

Please have cups, saucers, plates at arm level - as well as re-arranging your fridge for more commonly used items at arm levels. Tide/Downy small container sizes - also at arm level. Reaching up and grabbing heavy items -- will tear your stitches, as well as hurt your arms. Muscles and tissue in breast, as well as arm areas will be cut,\moved and sewn back together.

I tried to take a bath ..but hence could not pull myself out of the our spa tub, no muscles or strength in my arms after bilateral mastectomy..So NO deep spa tub baths. It took my husband, and daughter some time to pull me out of the tub == without hurting me. Not a pretty time, or sight to say the least.
    I opted to shower ...My husband removed our shower head, and replaced it with a flex hose type so I could shower maneuvering the flex hose from waist down, as well as place shower water under my arms. I hate sponge bath -- so this was HEAVEN for me.

.. Pre-cook meals, soups or casseroles if you can.

Lastly, please make sure you do your exercises as prescribed by Plastic Surgeon, and Physical Therapist.

Strength, Courage, Hope and Speedy recovery.

Vicki Sam
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    eihtak said:

Surgery

... a few suggestions
    ...sorry, duplication!

Best of luck, strength and prayers for you.

Vicki Sam
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    VickiSam said:

... a few suggestions
    Take pain medication when necessary -- Please!

Multiple pillows in various, sizes help with sleeping on your back, some Sisters
    in PINK sleep on a recliner.

Please have cups, saucers, plates at arm level - as well as re-arranging your fridge for more commonly used items at arm levels. Tide/Downy small container sizes - also at arm level. Reaching up and grabbing heavy items -- will tear your stitches, as well as hurt your arms. Muscles and tissue in breast, as well as arm areas will be cut,\moved and sewn back together.

I tried to take a bath ..but hence could not pull myself out of the our spa tub, no muscles or strength in my arms after bilateral mastectomy..So NO deep spa tub baths. It took my husband, and daughter some time to pull me out of the tub == without hurting me. Not a pretty time, or sight to say the least.
    I opted to shower ...My husband removed our shower head, and replaced it with a flex hose type so I could shower maneuvering the flex hose from waist down, as well as place shower water under my arms. I hate sponge bath -- so this was HEAVEN for me.

.. Pre-cook meals, soups or casseroles if you can.

Lastly, please make sure you do your exercises as prescribed by Plastic Surgeon, and Physical Therapist.

Strength, Courage, Hope and Speedy recovery.

Vicki Sam

Katie, just wishing you the
    Katie, just wishing you the best of luck with your surgery next week. We will need to get the pink bus out for you to support you.

Hugs and prayers,

Angie
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Options
    Your recovery will depend on
    Your recovery will depend on if you are having reconstruction surgery or not
    Frankie
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    VickiSam said:

... a few suggestions
    ...sorry, duplication!

Best of luck, strength and prayers for you.

Vicki Sam

Good luck! Praying for a
    Good luck! Praying for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery for you.

Hugs, Megan
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Your recovery will depend on
    Your recovery will depend on if you are having reconstruction surgery or not
    Frankie

Wishing you good luck!
    Wishing you good luck!
  • DebbyB
    DebbyB Member Posts: 86
    Options
    had a double mastectomy the 25th
    I had a double mastectomy with no reconstruction last Wednesday. I bought a wedge pillow before surgery at bed bath and beyond and its been so helpful at night. I made up some salads before surgery and so glad I did. I made the mistake Monday, I was feeling pretty good and did a load of laundry. DON'T do it. :)