RX for estrogen supressors

Options
klukos
klukos Member Posts: 5
This is my first post. I've been in treatment for almost a year. I've had so many set backs that I'm just now getting to the meds that block estrogen. My biggest concern is the side effects of joint problems(to name one). The med I've been given is Aromasin. I'm hoping some of the people here can share about their experience with this drug.

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different
    I don't take Aromasin - I've taken Femara/Letrozole for a bit over 2 years and have had no SE's with it that I know for sure it's responsible for. I have arthritis in my upper back but have had for quite few years - it did get worse after all TX but that could have been something that would have happened anyway - Etodolac keeps it under control so no worry. I also now have Osteoporosis but again I've been watched for it for years due to family history so don't know it TX has contributed to it.

We are each unique and react differently. Some worse than others. Do not expect to get any particular SE that someone else does but be prepared if you do.

Susan
  • eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    Welcome, sad to have to say that, but this is a useful site with loving and caring people who can offer a great deal of insite from first hand experience. I hope your set backs are a thing of the past and you are now moving forward. Last month I had a double mastectomy and was prescribed Anastrozole as an esrogen blocker. ( I believe the listed SE's are the same ) I had alot of questions, did tons of reading, and was very concerned about taking it. I finally realized that at least for me the benefit was worth it. Joint pain and weakening of bones are probably the leading SE's listed. So far I have been just fine, but it is quite early on so time will tell. I've been told that weight bearing exercise ( I walk, and do light yoga ) and keeping a healthy weight and diet high in calcium and protien with lots of vegies like brocolli, califlower, cabbage, are all beneficial...all easy things to do. Everyone is different and some do experience a lot of discomfort and problems but I felt I would try, do whatever I can to minimize the problems and more or less wait and see if I have any issues to even be concerned about. The exercising and daily stretching will surely help with minor joint issues, if it gets so bad that is not somewhat releived with Advil there are other things your doc can prescribe. Good luck, keep us informed on how things are going for you. As always, all in my prayers.
  • klukos
    klukos Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Rague said:

Everybody is different
    I don't take Aromasin - I've taken Femara/Letrozole for a bit over 2 years and have had no SE's with it that I know for sure it's responsible for. I have arthritis in my upper back but have had for quite few years - it did get worse after all TX but that could have been something that would have happened anyway - Etodolac keeps it under control so no worry. I also now have Osteoporosis but again I've been watched for it for years due to family history so don't know it TX has contributed to it.

We are each unique and react differently. Some worse than others. Do not expect to get any particular SE that someone else does but be prepared if you do.

Susan

thanks
    I'm very encouraged to hear back from someone who is in the same universe. Sometimes it can be so over the top, but so glad to have found this sight. I walk everyday and I'm ready to start some light weights. I've been trying to eat a more healthy diet but can't seem to eat breakfast. This is sure a learn as you go, but I guess most of life is. Have a great day, God Bless. K
  • rutzetta
    rutzetta Member Posts: 174
    Options
    I take Aromasin
    Like you I have joint pain, but aleve seems to make that problem go away. It's the insomina I can't deal with. I get 3 soild hours of sleep sometimes, but then 1-2 the next day. I've tried over the counter natural sleep aids, with no help. I don't want to start taking Ambien again. I took that while on chemo and it was a nice drug for a good 8 hours of sleep, but weaning down from Ambien was a nightmare. I have a doctor's appt. next week to look for another drug, as this was my 1st estroen blocking drug. Good luck with your journey. I hope we can stay in touch.

Constance
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Rague said:

Everybody is different

Susan

I don't take Aromasin, but,
    I don't take Aromasin, but, I know many here are and will help you.

Good luck,

Megan