Lung surgery

Options
Kenny H.
Kenny H. Member Posts: 502 Member
Well just returned from MD Anderson yesterday from follow up scan & showed lung mets have shrunk alot (2 almost gone) but other 5 are visible. Onc said was going to meet with a surgeon there to discuss removing whats left.
Wierd becuase before I was told inoperable, anyway mentioned since they are so small in size I would have to stop current chemo (avastin/irrentecan) for 6 weeks so they could grow some (?) Mentioned being so small now it would be hard to locate/remove all of it.
Just wonder why they didnt just do that back in January when were larger.

Since in both lungs would be seperate surgerys. I am happy for this and and showed no other spreading, also nothing where original tumor in rectum began.
Has anyone had success getting lung mets removed? (5 total) Will be getting back with me soon pending outcome with surgeon recomendations.

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    "You're Speaking to One Right Here..."
    Hey Kenny

Two major lung surgeries for me...one was with the da Vinci robot and the other was a full open thoracotomy. I've had 7-wedge resections and 2-ribs removed...and the rads destroyed another 10% lung function. My scans say "noticeable loss of volume."

I breathe hard and gasp sometimes when exerting...and exerting might be as simple as tying your shoelaces.

They are a whip and the scar tissue build up and whatever else they bang around on in there hurts for a lifetime, but given the choice of surgery or treatments, I'd get up on the gurney any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

The surgeries and all the treatments are considered successfull for me...I've had cancer 3x now - and walked away 3x...though we are looking at a new spot in the good lung now and a new spot on the liver...so #4 may just be around the corner.

We can run - but not for long...cancer just knows where to look and find us.

I'm glad you are now qualified for a surgery...it still offers the best chance at potential cure...and it definitely adds to a life extension...and that's worth playin' for.

The best to you, Tex!

-Craig
  • Kenny H.
    Kenny H. Member Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

"You're Speaking to One Right Here..."
    Hey Kenny

Two major lung surgeries for me...one was with the da Vinci robot and the other was a full open thoracotomy. I've had 7-wedge resections and 2-ribs removed...and the rads destroyed another 10% lung function. My scans say "noticeable loss of volume."

I breathe hard and gasp sometimes when exerting...and exerting might be as simple as tying your shoelaces.

They are a whip and the scar tissue build up and whatever else they bang around on in there hurts for a lifetime, but given the choice of surgery or treatments, I'd get up on the gurney any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

The surgeries and all the treatments are considered successfull for me...I've had cancer 3x now - and walked away 3x...though we are looking at a new spot in the good lung now and a new spot on the liver...so #4 may just be around the corner.

We can run - but not for long...cancer just knows where to look and find us.

I'm glad you are now qualified for a surgery...it still offers the best chance at potential cure...and it definitely adds to a life extension...and that's worth playin' for.

The best to you, Tex!

-Craig

Thanks Craig, wow that makes
    Thanks Craig, wow that makes mine sound minor. Your a true warrior!

Sure hope can get the surgery, (quit smoking 6mo ago)chemo sucks and cant wait to get back off it. The journey continues bud.;-)
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    Kenny H. said:

Thanks Craig, wow that makes
    Thanks Craig, wow that makes mine sound minor. Your a true warrior!

Sure hope can get the surgery, (quit smoking 6mo ago)chemo sucks and cant wait to get back off it. The journey continues bud.;-)

Well after all are excellent news, so congratulations
    Hope the best on your surgery mate! The bad news.....you are going to miss a few fishing weekends ! LoL.
    Have a big hug my friend!
  • barbebarb
    barbebarb Member Posts: 464
    Options
    Lung mets
    Kenny
    I had colon cancer lung mets- had four infu y hears sions and all tumors shrunk so surgeries were left lobectomy on 2/9 and right lung wedge and liver tumor removal via thorocotomy two weeks ago.. Surgery #2 was easier than first because of epidural during hospital stay. I am still recovering from the left lung lobectomy and get rib pain. Taking Norco and use lidocaine patches. Chemo to follow....

Yours sounds promising. I think everyones bodies and tumors respond differently to chemo. I was off chemo for a couple of weeks and that's s good break to build strength plus its nice to be off chemo.

Great nothing in rectum. That's how I was. Sneaky beast went to liver and lungs-surprise!!!

Will be watching for your posts and wishing the best for you and positive outcome.
    Sincerely-Barb
  • barbebarb
    Options
    Lung mets
    Kenny
    I had colon cancer lung mets- had four infu y hears sions and all tumors shrunk so surgeries were left lobectomy on 2/9 and right lung wedge and liver tumor removal via thorocotomy two weeks ago.. Surgery #2 was easier than first because of epidural during hospital stay. I am still recovering from the left lung lobectomy and get rib pain. Taking Norco and use lidocaine patches. Chemo to follow....

Yours sounds promising. I think everyones bodies and tumors respond differently to chemo. I was off chemo for a couple of weeks and that's s good break to build strength plus its nice to be off chemo.

Great nothing in rectum. That's how I was. Sneaky beast went to liver and lungs-surprise!!!

Will be watching for your posts and wishing the best for you and positive outcome.
    Sincerely-Barb
  • barbebarb
    Options
    Lung mets
    Kenny

Sincerely-Barb
  • barbebarb
    Options
    Lung mets
    Kenny

Sincerely-Barb
  • relaxoutdoors08
    relaxoutdoors08 Member Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Fellow Survivor - Happy for You
    Kenny,
    Fellow Survivor, so happy to hear you are now operable. You know you have my prayers.
    NB
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Never had lung surgery
    But good luck to you Kenny. Hope the meeting goes well with the oncologist.
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    successful
    I had three lung surgeries -- but each time for a solitary met. Two were wedge resections, and one was a total lobectomy (the lesion was small but right in the middle of the lobe, so wedge not possible). All three surgeries went well and the recovery went well, too. I had chemo after each surgery (mop-up chemo) but hadn't had before. Today, my lung capacity is over 90%. The lung surgeon laughs when he looks at my xrays -- says he couldnt tell I'd had surgery (of course, it's his own work!). I few scars, of course, but hey -- those are my battle scars!

Good luck to you!!

Tara