Erbitux Therapy

Goldie1
Goldie1 Member Posts: 264 Member
Just wondering if any one is familiar with this treatment. The oncologist mentioned to us today that this will be Pat's next course of treatment. The doctor is waiting till Pat finishes his 40 day course of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (for radiation cystitis)before he starts treatment. He has 9 Hyperbaric treatments to go. The doc really didn't want to get into discussing Erbitux till Pat's next appointment in 4 weeks. We read a bit online about it but curious for any personal insight.

Thanks,

Ellen

Comments

• abackhou
    abackhou Member Posts: 77 Member
    Erbitux (Cetuximab)
    Hi Ellen, I (Stage 4 since April 2009..mets to liver/lungs) have just completed 12 weeks of this treatment without too much inconvenience. I did have the rash mainly on my upper chest but this was kept under control with taking another medication to combat the rash ( I was on minocycline). Treatment is given by IV 1 once per week x 1 hour duration. No other side effects for me, very easy to take. In my case, the treatment had no effect on my tumours and it was my last treatment for me, so now enjoying every day with my wife of 38 years. I wish Pat the very best.

Andrew
    Good old 1955
    3 Year Survivor
  • joemetz
    joemetz Member Posts: 493
    Erbitux
    Today i just completed my 12th week of Erbitux.
    I had 4 weeks of Folfox6, 5FU, Leucavorin, Oxiplatin from Jan 3rd till the first week of February and they added the Erbitux to this.

after my first 8 weeks they did a CT scan and there was NO new cancer. NO cancer growth. My original tumor in the colon (which was slid over during a colostomy surgery, so i have a colostomy bag) is reduced in size and no longer growing and the best news of all... i had 30 mets to the liver which have ALL reduced in size by over 40% of their original size... AND, the 100 "micro-mets" are gone!

I had a VERY bad rash from Erbitux. It was on my face, neck, back, chest and arms.
    they added a tetrecycline type of antibiotic as well as some lotions that i rarely used. the rash looks like acne and zits... but if you get it... do NOT treat it like acne. with acne the idea is to dry up the skin and the white heads. With the erbitux rash, it's just the oposite... you need to moisturize the skin as in the beginning the rash looks like zits, but later it will completely dry out and the skin peels a lot.

the rash is considered a GOOD thing as many in the health care field know that the rash on the skin = Erbitux WORKING!

If you read about Erbitux you'll learn that it strangles the cancer cells and stops them from geting any nutriants which the idea is to stop the cancer cells from growing and hopefully the other Chemo meds in the cocktail work to elimnate the bad cells.

for me the only side effect from Erbitux was the rash. If you're self consious of how you look... this might effect you. But, for me... i just told people that i wasn't contageous!! it always got a laugh. At one point my rash got so bad that my left eye was swollen shut and the skin was pealing all off my face in small pieces... i was at breakfast with a friend (because the ugly-ness of the rash didn't stop me from going in public) the waitress would look at me and her face you could tell was saying... What the hell is wrong with this guy.... it a month before Easter so i told her that my leperacy is NOT contagious. And, she asked what happened in a carrying voice.... and i explained it to her. again, my rash was VERY bad. The worst the nurses at my hospital had ever seen.

you'll need LOTS of sunscreen, a good hat and if you can swing it... get some clothes with UV protection built in. I have several long sleeve sun shirts with Uv in them so i don't have to worry about my chest, back and arms as they are covered.

thursday of this week i have my 2nd CT scan, as we are 16 weeks in and 8 weeks to go with this current cocktail and chemo plan.

so, i'll be glad to keep you posted as we move forward, but overall I feel Erbitux is a very strong drug and it's working for me! and i'm very pleased with my chemo formula.

oh yeah... Ivory Soap (no others) and Head & Shoulders shampoo. luck warm showers... NOT HOT showers. the more heat the more the rash gets real read.

also, if you have watery eyes... a warm compress in the morning helps greatly.

well... I hope i have helped.

my best

Joe
  • Goldie1
    abackhou said:

Erbitux (Cetuximab)
    Hi Ellen, I (Stage 4 since April 2009..mets to liver/lungs) have just completed 12 weeks of this treatment without too much inconvenience. I did have the rash mainly on my upper chest but this was kept under control with taking another medication to combat the rash ( I was on minocycline). Treatment is given by IV 1 once per week x 1 hour duration. No other side effects for me, very easy to take. In my case, the treatment had no effect on my tumours and it was my last treatment for me, so now enjoying every day with my wife of 38 years. I wish Pat the very best.

Andrew
    Good old 1955
    3 Year Survivor

Thank you Andrew...
    for your reply! The doc did mention to us today that a rash will most likely be a side effect and that it was a pretty tolerable treatment for most people. I am sorry to hear that it had no effect on your tumors. Thank you for wishing my husband (of 29 years) the very best. Same goes here, best to you and your wife. Take care!

Ellen
  • Goldie1
    joemetz said:

Erbitux
    I had 4 weeks of Folfox6, 5FU, Leucavorin, Oxiplatin from Jan 3rd till the first week of February and they added the Erbitux to this.

after my first 8 weeks they did a CT scan and there was NO new cancer. NO cancer growth. My original tumor in the colon (which was slid over during a colostomy surgery, so i have a colostomy bag) is reduced in size and no longer growing and the best news of all... i had 30 mets to the liver which have ALL reduced in size by over 40% of their original size... AND, the 100 "micro-mets" are gone!

I had a VERY bad rash from Erbitux. It was on my face, neck, back, chest and arms.
    they added a tetrecycline type of antibiotic as well as some lotions that i rarely used. the rash looks like acne and zits... but if you get it... do NOT treat it like acne. with acne the idea is to dry up the skin and the white heads. With the erbitux rash, it's just the oposite... you need to moisturize the skin as in the beginning the rash looks like zits, but later it will completely dry out and the skin peels a lot.

the rash is considered a GOOD thing as many in the health care field know that the rash on the skin = Erbitux WORKING!

If you read about Erbitux you'll learn that it strangles the cancer cells and stops them from geting any nutriants which the idea is to stop the cancer cells from growing and hopefully the other Chemo meds in the cocktail work to elimnate the bad cells.

for me the only side effect from Erbitux was the rash. If you're self consious of how you look... this might effect you. But, for me... i just told people that i wasn't contageous!! it always got a laugh. At one point my rash got so bad that my left eye was swollen shut and the skin was pealing all off my face in small pieces... i was at breakfast with a friend (because the ugly-ness of the rash didn't stop me from going in public) the waitress would look at me and her face you could tell was saying... What the hell is wrong with this guy.... it a month before Easter so i told her that my leperacy is NOT contagious. And, she asked what happened in a carrying voice.... and i explained it to her. again, my rash was VERY bad. The worst the nurses at my hospital had ever seen.

you'll need LOTS of sunscreen, a good hat and if you can swing it... get some clothes with UV protection built in. I have several long sleeve sun shirts with Uv in them so i don't have to worry about my chest, back and arms as they are covered.

thursday of this week i have my 2nd CT scan, as we are 16 weeks in and 8 weeks to go with this current cocktail and chemo plan.

so, i'll be glad to keep you posted as we move forward, but overall I feel Erbitux is a very strong drug and it's working for me! and i'm very pleased with my chemo formula.

oh yeah... Ivory Soap (no others) and Head & Shoulders shampoo. luck warm showers... NOT HOT showers. the more heat the more the rash gets real read.

my best

Joe

Thank you Joe!!
    While I know every one responds differently to treatment...your reply still made my day! My husband had the same Folfox as you...his last treatment was 12/10/11. Then he had colon resection surgery (LAR) and a colostomy on 1/31/12. The radiation cystitis needed to be treated before starting chemo again and Pat is almost at that point. The oncologist will let us know in 4 weeks when treatment will start.

Anyway, thank you for all the advice! The doctor mentioned about the rash today and that it is a well tolerated treatment but that was about it. I am going to print out your post for a reference for Pat.

After all Pat has been through...I don't think he'll be self conscious about the rash. While it doesn't sound pleasant, I know he will deal with it. Hopefully with humor as you do!

Thanks again Joe, I would really like for you to keep me posted and please let me know how your CT scan goes Thursday.

Take care,

Ellen
  • steveandnat
    steveandnat Member Posts: 886
    make sure they check
    Be sure to have the oncologist check for krass mutation. Some people erbitux wont be effective. Pray all work out good. Jeff
  • joemetz
    Goldie1 said:

Thank you Joe!!
    While I know every one responds differently to treatment...your reply still made my day! My husband had the same Folfox as you...his last treatment was 12/10/11. Then he had colon resection surgery (LAR) and a colostomy on 1/31/12. The radiation cystitis needed to be treated before starting chemo again and Pat is almost at that point. The oncologist will let us know in 4 weeks when treatment will start.

Anyway, thank you for all the advice! The doctor mentioned about the rash today and that it is a well tolerated treatment but that was about it. I am going to print out your post for a reference for Pat.

After all Pat has been through...I don't think he'll be self conscious about the rash. While it doesn't sound pleasant, I know he will deal with it. Hopefully with humor as you do!

Thanks again Joe, I would really like for you to keep me posted and please let me know how your CT scan goes Thursday.

Take care,

Ellen

a bit more on erbitux
    Greetings Ellen

so glad to help...

this web site is written to go to Doctors... so some of the words are a lot bigger that i can handle and the facts listed of fatal things and stuff can be freaky and frightening.

I remember the first time i read this site, my wife and i were flipping out.
    but, I'm glad i read this and glad i knew what i was getting into.

http://www.erbitux.com/hcp/colorectal/metastatic-treatment.aspx

Please feel free to jot me any questions and if i can help, i certainly will.

my best

Joe

here's my carring bridge blog site:
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/joemetzger
  • joemetz
    Goldie1 said:

Thank you Joe!!

Take care,

Ellen

a bit more on erbitux
    Greetings Ellen

so glad to help...

this web site is written to go to Doctors... so some of the words are a lot bigger that i can handle and the facts listed of fatal things and stuff can be freaky and frightening.

I remember the first time i read this site, my wife and i were flipping out.
    but, I'm glad i read this and glad i knew what i was getting into.

http://www.erbitux.com/hcp/colorectal/metastatic-treatment.aspx

Please feel free to jot me any questions and if i can help, i certainly will.

my best

Joe

here's my carring bridge blog site:
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/joemetzger
  • joemetz said:

Erbitux

my best

Joe

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • abackhou said:

Erbitux (Cetuximab)

Andrew
    Good old 1955
    3 Year Survivor

This comment has been removed by the Moderator