NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE HELP!!!

Options
Hi everybody i haven't been on here long but i'm finding a wealth of information on this site and wanted to keep you guys posted i was diagnosed on April 2nd with Squamous cell carcinoma stage 2 or 3 right tonsil and right lymph node for the last couple of weeks i have had different biopsy's performed 1st on the right tonsil and the right lymph node and now last Monday on the left tonsil which came back negative i have already talk to my local hospital watermans in Eustis and they had wanted to setup a plan but i went yesterday to MD Anderson in Orlando to get a second opinion which i hear they are one of the best in the country so my options are meet with all my doctors next Wednesday at MD Anderson which is about 35 mins from my house or just start treatments at my local hospital one main difference between the two is that MD Anderson uses a Helical tomotherapy radiation where its pin pointed to specific areas and tumor site so less tissue damaged they are only 2 in the world they have one and Houston Texas has one which may help long term the other hospital doesn't have this technology and do standard radiation but they are closer to home and can start sooner decisions decisions.Thank You

Comments

• ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Not much of a decision
    MD Anderson and don't look back. I knew a fellow who immediately after being diagnosed, boarded a flight for MD Anderson and just sat in the Lobby until he could get a consultation. Perhaps being so close you lose your perspective of what a gem you have sitting in your own back yard. This is an aggressive cancer but not quite that aggressive where you can't wait a few weeks to get started. I used to drive 2-21/2 hours per day to commute to work. Are you telling me that your life isn't important enough to spend a little time in traffic. The new radiation machine can mean a world of difference in your future quality of life with eating, saliva, and teeth. The amount of radiation damage you will avoid can be life changing in the future. The amount of radiation exposure can prove lifesaving in the future.Furthermore, if any complications arise, you would be perfectly positioned come what may?
  • Irishgypsie
    Irishgypsie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    ratface said:

Not much of a decision
    MD Anderson and don't look back. I knew a fellow who immediately after being diagnosed, boarded a flight for MD Anderson and just sat in the Lobby until he could get a consultation. Perhaps being so close you lose your perspective of what a gem you have sitting in your own back yard. This is an aggressive cancer but not quite that aggressive where you can't wait a few weeks to get started. I used to drive 2-21/2 hours per day to commute to work. Are you telling me that your life isn't important enough to spend a little time in traffic. The new radiation machine can mean a world of difference in your future quality of life with eating, saliva, and teeth. The amount of radiation damage you will avoid can be life changing in the future. The amount of radiation exposure can prove lifesaving in the future.Furthermore, if any complications arise, you would be perfectly positioned come what may?

MD ANDERSON
    Exactlry what Ratface said!!!!!!!!!!!!I used the TOMO machine as well. Hopefully it will save us on some of the longterm side effects.
  • Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options
    ratface said:

Not much of a decision

Ditto
    MD Anderson is great. I know people who moved to Houston for the duration of their treatments.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    MD Anderson....
    Hey, I replied on your other thread....you're right up the road.

My local in Lakeland did IMRT for my rads technology and it worked out great.

But, I have never heard nothing other than praise for MD Anderson.

Best,
    John
  • patricke
    patricke Member Posts: 570
    Options
    Decisisions
    Hey Matt, based on what you've said, it's no contest; don't be seduced by the convenience of proximity. MDA is your best choice, and the miles will be some of the best time investment that you will ever make, given the superior treatment that you will receive.

PATRICK
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    I'm going to have to go with the group on this....
    MD Anderson is 35 minutes away....holy moly...in less than an hour's drive you get the best care in the world....as they say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

For me it was a toss up....I was 2500 miles away from MD Anderson, but it was still a hard decision for me and it went on for two weeks...go or stay home. I have livestock, family here, a dog who I would have had to put to sleep...it would have cost me at least $2000 a month for housing....yet, I was still contemplating going to Houston. My husband was looking at me saying it's a no brainer....but I was still unsure.

Place yourself in their care, and never think again about the "other place"....with a half hour drive, I would have been kicking my heals in the air...WHOOPIE....

GO TO MD ANDERSON!

p
  • MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Echo in here
    Matt,

I can only repeat what all the others have already stated.

My Best to You and Everyone Here
  • LeoS2323
    LeoS2323 Member Posts: 160
    Options
    MarineE5 said:

Echo in here
    Matt,

I can only repeat what all the others have already stated.

My Best to You and Everyone Here

Function Sparing
    Matt at your young age the more accurate radiation is especially worth the travel. I am in the UK so no expert on the US treatment centres, but it's clear that technology is going to be a massive help to you in trying to not only beat the cancer but come out in the best shape possible when you do.

Go with MD Anderson, no question. You have many years ahead of you so saving function is crucial.