All happening so fast

Options
Cheryl70
Cheryl70 Member Posts: 8
After several mammograms, MRIs and biopsies, I am told that I no longer have a choice of a lumpectomy. I need a mastectomy on my right breast. I am opting for a bilateral due to my family history. I was diagnosed on March 28, 2012 with DCIS high grade solid comedo and now I am scheduled for surgery on May 1st. Although this is stage 0, my doctor has informed me that it is a rapidly reproducing type. My last MRI guided biopsy discovered yet more areas of concern. Every test brings a new discovery. Now it is found dangerously near the breast wall. I am at 2 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 8 o'clock and 9 o'clock. I am all clocked out. My surgeon was not going to schedule for reconstruction until he decided to test the breast wall area during surgery since he believes I may require radiation. I have been trying to think positive. I am scared and I feel selfish for feeling this way because there are so many others who have it much worse.

Comments

• tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    The Road
    WELCOME!

It never seemed to help me to know others were worse off. I kind of felt it invalidated my fears and concerns.
    HOWEVER..I have been through this and taking a step at a time works wonders for the threat of the imagined scenarios that can haunt you. Plenty of experiences here and wonderful people ready to offer their support to you.
    You are at the beginning of a road you did not ask to be on, but take it a step at a time and you just might find this beginning time the worst of it as it is full of waiting and testing which is the hardest to deal with and in some ways it can be a very enlightening and wondrous time for you. At this point I would avoid seeking info on the internet. It is based on huge statistics and scared the crap out of me needlessly as each individual situation is unique. This site has some very useful areas and this board, especially, offers immediate responses. Don't let the big picture overwhelm you.

All the best to you
  • eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    tufi000 said:

The Road
    WELCOME!

It never seemed to help me to know others were worse off. I kind of felt it invalidated my fears and concerns.
    HOWEVER..I have been through this and taking a step at a time works wonders for the threat of the imagined scenarios that can haunt you. Plenty of experiences here and wonderful people ready to offer their support to you.
    You are at the beginning of a road you did not ask to be on, but take it a step at a time and you just might find this beginning time the worst of it as it is full of waiting and testing which is the hardest to deal with and in some ways it can be a very enlightening and wondrous time for you. At this point I would avoid seeking info on the internet. It is based on huge statistics and scared the crap out of me needlessly as each individual situation is unique. This site has some very useful areas and this board, especially, offers immediate responses. Don't let the big picture overwhelm you.

All the best to you

Good advice...
    Although looking on the internet for answers makes you feel like you are doing something rather than just waiting and worrying, the info is often outdated as quickly as it is put there. I found that I read some of it but keep it in perspective, and the more useful info comes from the people here who know first hand what each other is going through. I have been fortunate to have doctors that I truely trust, but when those middle of the night or weekend issues creep up, I turn here. As always,all in my prayers.
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    You are allowed
    to feel sorry for yourself. Your breast has betrayed you. Just don't stay in that space too long because you need all your energy to fight the beast. I agree about searching only on this website at least at first.

I had triple negative breast cancer (which is also very agressive) and sought information through other sources after my surgery was done. I always sought through the reliable sources like cancer clinical trials and teaching hospitals. The information can be difficult to digest but for me it was a good experince because I did find a few bright spots in those studies. I found a beta blocker (an older form of blood pressure medication) that inhibited metastasizing of triple negative breast cancer cells. Since my blood pressure was not all that well controlled I approached my doctors office with the research and had them put me on the medication. It seemed a safe way to do something that did not seem like witch doctoring since the medication was an old tried and true medication.

Welcome to this site. You will be riding down a road that you did not want to go on but will end up a bit wiser for the journey.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    eihtak said:

Good advice...
    Although looking on the internet for answers makes you feel like you are doing something rather than just waiting and worrying, the info is often outdated as quickly as it is put there. I found that I read some of it but keep it in perspective, and the more useful info comes from the people here who know first hand what each other is going through. I have been fortunate to have doctors that I truely trust, but when those middle of the night or weekend issues creep up, I turn here. As always,all in my prayers.

I am very sorry Cheryl that
    I am very sorry Cheryl that this has happened to you. I got most of my information from my doctors as they were all excellent and always willing to go over anything with me. I did look some on the computer, but, not a lot.

This site is great and the pink sisters are so helpful as I know you will find.

Wishing you the best of luck Cheryl and praying for you.

Hugs, Megan
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

You are allowed
    to feel sorry for yourself. Your breast has betrayed you. Just don't stay in that space too long because you need all your energy to fight the beast. I agree about searching only on this website at least at first.

I had triple negative breast cancer (which is also very agressive) and sought information through other sources after my surgery was done. I always sought through the reliable sources like cancer clinical trials and teaching hospitals. The information can be difficult to digest but for me it was a good experince because I did find a few bright spots in those studies. I found a beta blocker (an older form of blood pressure medication) that inhibited metastasizing of triple negative breast cancer cells. Since my blood pressure was not all that well controlled I approached my doctors office with the research and had them put me on the medication. It seemed a safe way to do something that did not seem like witch doctoring since the medication was an old tried and true medication.

Welcome to this site. You will be riding down a road that you did not want to go on but will end up a bit wiser for the journey.

Welcome Cheryl although I am
    Welcome Cheryl although I am sorry you found us because of bc. You are surrounded by a group of pink sisters now that all "get" what you are saying and all are praying for you.

Sue :)
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Welcome Cheryl although I am
    Welcome Cheryl although I am sorry you found us because of bc. You are surrounded by a group of pink sisters now that all "get" what you are saying and all are praying for you.

Sue :)

Everything is happening to
    Everything is happening to you fast Cheryl and for that, I am so sorry. I had a lumpectomy with rads, so, I don't have a lot of information on what you are going through.

I know many pink sisters on here will help you with any information you might need. Just ask.

Good luck,

Lex
  • RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Goodness you are anything but selfish. I think you are very brave and appear to be coping well with all that is going on with your body. There are always people with less or more to worry about but we have to deal with what is actually happening to us and our own circumstances. I wish you well, good luck and a quick recovery.
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options

Hi
    Goodness you are anything but selfish. I think you are very brave and appear to be coping well with all that is going on with your body. There are always people with less or more to worry about but we have to deal with what is actually happening to us and our own circumstances. I wish you well, good luck and a quick recovery.

Cheryl,
    As scary as things seem now and the whirlwind of days that are going by, I believe you are doing the right thing in being aggressive. I had IDC with no lymph node involvement in my left breast only. I chose to remove both... who wants do do this ride again? Hang in there sweetie and ask lots of questions.

After your mastectomy you will wake up with drains in each side. You will be instructed on how to measure and empty these drains. My chest area was numb after my surgery so my pain was very minimal. I pray the same for you... you will awake to numbness across your chest and down each side of your torso just under each armpit. Watch your activity level until your doctor instructs you differently.

I will be thinking and praying for you on the 1st of May, let us know how you are doing afterwards and throw out any questions you may have. Best of luck to you sweet sister ♥

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • Cheryl70
    Cheryl70 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Cheryl,
    As scary as things seem now and the whirlwind of days that are going by, I believe you are doing the right thing in being aggressive. I had IDC with no lymph node involvement in my left breast only. I chose to remove both... who wants do do this ride again? Hang in there sweetie and ask lots of questions.

After your mastectomy you will wake up with drains in each side. You will be instructed on how to measure and empty these drains. My chest area was numb after my surgery so my pain was very minimal. I pray the same for you... you will awake to numbness across your chest and down each side of your torso just under each armpit. Watch your activity level until your doctor instructs you differently.

I will be thinking and praying for you on the 1st of May, let us know how you are doing afterwards and throw out any questions you may have. Best of luck to you sweet sister ♥

Hugs,
    Lorrie

Surgery re-scheduled
    As if the waiting wasn't long enough, hey added another week. My surgery is not until Tuesday May 8th at 8:30am. I have kept it together pretty good so far until this past Friday when I had a meltdown at work. I have also been just a little snippy at home. My poor family. My kids don't understand. It all went down hill after my doctor appointment/ consult with the plastic surgeon this past week. It was information overload and I thought I might actually throw up in his office. I am taking this week off to talk to a professional and attend some survivor groups. I have finally been connected with a Breast Care Navigator by my doctor. I could have used her weeks ago. I have been told by many to follow instructions after surgery and rest. Take care of ME. Easy for people to say and of course, hard for WOMEN to do when we feel it necessary to take care of EVERYONE else. Thank goodness for family, friends and neighbors. Never thought I would accept so many offers to help. Usually, we take care of business ourselves. My husband and I are learning that we are going to need help. You pink sisters have been awesome and I am glad I found you all. The advice, the sweet sentiments and sharing of experiences. What is that old saying? There is strength in numbers. It is just too bad these are our circumstances. I check the board daily for inspiration. A simply thank you is most definitely not enough.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Cheryl70 said:

Surgery re-scheduled
    As if the waiting wasn't long enough, hey added another week. My surgery is not until Tuesday May 8th at 8:30am. I have kept it together pretty good so far until this past Friday when I had a meltdown at work. I have also been just a little snippy at home. My poor family. My kids don't understand. It all went down hill after my doctor appointment/ consult with the plastic surgeon this past week. It was information overload and I thought I might actually throw up in his office. I am taking this week off to talk to a professional and attend some survivor groups. I have finally been connected with a Breast Care Navigator by my doctor. I could have used her weeks ago. I have been told by many to follow instructions after surgery and rest. Take care of ME. Easy for people to say and of course, hard for WOMEN to do when we feel it necessary to take care of EVERYONE else. Thank goodness for family, friends and neighbors. Never thought I would accept so many offers to help. Usually, we take care of business ourselves. My husband and I are learning that we are going to need help. You pink sisters have been awesome and I am glad I found you all. The advice, the sweet sentiments and sharing of experiences. What is that old saying? There is strength in numbers. It is just too bad these are our circumstances. I check the board daily for inspiration. A simply thank you is most definitely not enough.

Cheryl, I am so sorry that
    Cheryl, I am so sorry that your surgery has been set back a week. I know this must be hard for you to cope with and just know that we are here for you.

Take care of yourself! That is the #1 priority now!

Best of luck,

Jan
  • Monicalynn
    Monicalynn Member Posts: 61
    Options

Cheryl, I am so sorry that
    Cheryl, I am so sorry that your surgery has been set back a week. I know this must be hard for you to cope with and just know that we are here for you.

Take care of yourself! That is the #1 priority now!

Best of luck,

Jan

take one day at at time
    Hi Cheryl,
    I had a right masectomy at the end of January, healed up well and am going through treatment now. I found the board surfing around the net reasearching what the docs told me after surgery. I opted to have a delayed reconstruction. Will get a prosthetic until I decide to have the reconstructin done.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

take one day at at time
    Hi Cheryl,
    I had a right masectomy at the end of January, healed up well and am going through treatment now. I found the board surfing around the net reasearching what the docs told me after surgery. I opted to have a delayed reconstruction. Will get a prosthetic until I decide to have the reconstructin done.

I am wishing you a
    I am wishing you a successful surgery Cheryl and a quick recovery.

Hugs, Kylez
  • concord
    concord Member Posts: 5
    Options

take one day at at time
    Hi Cheryl,

Hi Monicalynn
    I have no idea how to use this forum. This is my second post and I don't know if anyone answered me or not.. working on it but not swift on the computer-- trying to get back to where i was originally for answers:

I am having a mastectomy in about a week or so-- it's a recurrence- had lumpectomy with rad 13 years ago. No doctor will remove my healthy breast. I cannot go through this again but my surgeon is against it. I dont' want to delay my surgery. Scans set for Monday -surgery hopefully end of week or next--- help. I am not having any reconstruction now.

any advice out there?
    concord
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Take the time
    to breath. I am glad you decided to take time off from work. The one thing I've been able to do since being part of this "society" is ... take so some much encouragement and positivity as I navigate this treacherous road. It is not a road any of us asked to be on, but we it is not up to us which road(s) we travel.

With that said, I know you will come through this with a new perspective. When I was diagnosed, I really didn't ask "why me?" I actually thanked God because having breast cancer has shown me a new way of life. Of course, I am not happy about having cancer. I am just finding that the more faith I have, the better I see.

Please do something FUN before your surgery date. And have faith, sister.

Sending prayers and gentle hugs.

xoxo
    Mary