Anastrozole

pamcb3
pamcb3 Member Posts: 44
Hi,
I have been on anastrozole for two months and am feeling awful. At first I thought it might be the after effects of coming off of prednisone. I was put on that for my lungs from one of the many side effects I had from taxotere....which is a whole other conversation! :( but when I actually looked up the drug and it's side effects I had my answer. My oncologist put me on this drug rather than tamoxifen because he seltzer it works better. I was wondering if anyone else is taking this? Do the side effects go away after it is in my system a little longer? I have to be on it for 5years. I certainly don't want cancer again but I feel awful on this drug! Any thoughts or words of wisdom?.... Thanks. Pam

Comments

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Side effects
    You did not mention what SE's you are having? Anastrozole is the generic for Arimidex. I also just began taking it about a week ago. I was very concerned about it myself but so far so good for me, though its really to early to say. I did get a lot of response when I questioned it, let us know how you are feeling and I'm sure someone will offer some insite. As always, all in my prayers.
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Pam,
    I am not sure what your side effects are but mine are sore knee joints and constipation. The joint pain is the most common and from what I hear that won't go away until you are off of the medication. I go for walks and that helps... I sometimes feel like an old woman when I first stand up but once I am moving I am fine. Some girls take glucosimine to help lube the joints and they say that helps. I've only been on this med for 6 months and I don't want to try that just yet in case I need something in a year or so. As for my constipation my oncologist said it was okay to use a stool softener every day if needed. I find if I take one every few days that really helps.

Make sure you discuss the side effects with your oncologist and he/she will be able to help you navigate through them or maybe even make a switch of meds if it's effecting you too harshly.

Of course I will be wishing you nothing but the best in the next 5 years, we can probably compare side effects through the years as we both go down this journey together.

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • pamcb3
    pamcb3 Member Posts: 44
    eihtak said:

Side effects
    You did not mention what SE's you are having? Anastrozole is the generic for Arimidex. I also just began taking it about a week ago. I was very concerned about it myself but so far so good for me, though its really to early to say. I did get a lot of response when I questioned it, let us know how you are feeling and I'm sure someone will offer some insite. As always, all in my prayers.

Sides effects from anastrozole
    Hi, my side effects have been bone and joint pain, by early afternoon I feel very tired and weak. I walk almost everyday and have increased from thirty to forty minutes and do some yoga stretches when I get back. This past week I felt more weak and achey when I got back than when I started. I started to take the pill at night yesterday. A lot of people seemed to think that helps. I was riding my spin bike at least 4 times a week but came down with a sinus infection....and I just haven't felt up to that. I am going to try and push myself harder to do more exercise. My mother in law has been on it for over a year, this was her second time around. She is almost eighty, plays tennis goes to zumba, incredible lady!!! Although she has had two lumpectomies and only radiation the first time. I had 4/a/c treatments and 12 taxotere. And 28 radiation sessions, I had surgery prior which was a mastectomy with a tram flap reconstruction. After surgery I went from stage 2 to stage 3 because they found more lympnodes involved.it seemed I had trouble at every turn. Lots of side effects from the taxotere, fluid around my heart and lungs, infiltrations in my lungs, and ended up having to have "jones tubes" put in to replace my tear ducts. I just got off of three months of prednisone so I think my tiredness is related to all that. I never seemed to get a break with a period of time to catch up so to speak... Hopefully by taking the pill at night and exercising more will give me some relief.
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    Hi Pam
    I don't know what happened to a post I made yesterday. Oh well ... I do have a suggestion for you. I've been on Arimidex for 2 months now. It surely does mess around with our bodies. Like you, I am fatigued, achy (muscles and joints), can't sleep, hot flashes (!), the list goes on and on. However, I did some reading up and found a blog (can't remember where the blog is) that helped me tremendously.

The one suggestion that I decided to give a go is changing the time when I take the Arimidex. I was taking it in the morning. BAD idea. I was miserable. So I then tried around 3:30 and that didn't help much. Next time change was at 8:30PM. It definitely helped. SO I made one more time change. I take it at 10PM. So far, most SE's have disappeared. I believe the SE's show up around the same time you take the drug. The muscle/joint aches are about the only ones I feel now. No more foggy brain, depression, nausea .... I am still fatigued but that's an easy fix with naps.

I do hope you give this a try. Feeling lousy due to a pill just isn't fair. You've been through enough fighting BC and now you just need to know that you are a survivor and smile again.

Sending hugs your way ....

Mary
  • eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    pamcb3 said:

Hi, my side effects have been bone and joint pain, by early afternoon I feel very tired and weak. I walk almost everyday and have increased from thirty to forty minutes and do some yoga stretches when I get back. This past week I felt more weak and achey when I got back than when I started. I started to take the pill at night yesterday. A lot of people seemed to think that helps. I was riding my spin bike at least 4 times a week but came down with a sinus infection....and I just haven't felt up to that. I am going to try and push myself harder to do more exercise. My mother in law has been on it for over a year, this was her second time around. She is almost eighty, plays tennis goes to zumba, incredible lady!!! Although she has had two lumpectomies and only radiation the first time. I had 4/a/c treatments and 12 taxotere. And 28 radiation sessions, I had surgery prior which was a mastectomy with a tram flap reconstruction. After surgery I went from stage 2 to stage 3 because they found more lympnodes involved.it seemed I had trouble at every turn. Lots of side effects from the taxotere, fluid around my heart and lungs, infiltrations in my lungs, and ended up having to have "jones tubes" put in to replace my tear ducts. I just got off of three months of prednisone so I think my tiredness is related to all that. I never seemed to get a break with a period of time to catch up so to speak... Hopefully by taking the pill at night and exercising more will give me some relief.

Side effects...
    I also take it in the evening, usually about 9:00pm, I have heard this helps. Although exercise is extemely important on all levels, don't rush into too much too soon. Your body requires rest as much as good nutrition and activity. The prednisone will take a while to work its way out of your system and plays all kinds of games on a body so that may be a big part of the problem. You sounded health concious, but remember lots of fluid to help flush that prednisone out. I find simple yoga stretches a life savor...sometimes if I can't sleep I get up and stretch, breathe, meditate, and am able to sleep even a couple hours really deep and then feel so refreshed when I get up. Keep us posted and let us know if changing the time helps. As always,all in my prayers.
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    pamcb3 said:

Arimidex
    Arimidex is a great drug to keep cancer away. I highly recommend it. All aromatase inhibitors have bone & joint pain as a side effect. I did not have that side effect while on Arimidex but, did on Femara.

Perhaps your exercise routine will help in the long run to adapt to this drug.

Wishing you the best.

Doris

PS: I always took the AI's at night.
  • BetsyJane
    BetsyJane Member Posts: 127
    Been on Arimidex for six months
    Take the arimidex in the evening (it definitely helps). I take mine around 8:30-9:00 pm.

For the following side effects from Arimidex, I take the following vitamins:

Hot Flashes: Evening Primrose 3xday

Joint Aches and Pain & for Bone Health: Mega Red Krill Oil (1/day), Resvinatrol Liquid (tastes great!) 2 tablespoons twice a day, Vitamin D-3 (6,000+ units/day), Citracal Petites (5/day), Glycosamine/Chron w/MSN (2 times/day), Advil (only when pain is bad)

Heart Health: Co-Q10 + 1 baby asprin a day

I also take Biotin (for hair), Lutein (for eyes), Vitamin C (2/day), Zinc, Turmeric & Cumin Powder mixed with a little honey in a small amount of hot water (about 1/4 - 1/2 tsp a day).

I must say I feel pretty good. I still have some aches and pains but near as bad as I used to.

Good luck and God Bless.

Betsy