Anastrozole

Options
pamcb3
pamcb3 Member Posts: 44
Hi,
I have been on anastrozole for two months and am feeling awful. At first I thought it might be the after effects of coming off of prednisone. I was put on that for my lungs from one of the many side effects I had from taxotere....which is a whole other conversation! :( but when I actually looked up the drug and it's side effects I had my answer. My oncologist put me on this drug rather than tamoxifen because he seltzer it works better. I was wondering if anyone else is taking this? Do the side effects go away after it is in my system a little longer? I have to be on it for 5years. I certainly don't want cancer again but I feel awful on this drug! Any thoughts or words of wisdom?.... Thanks. Pam

Comments

• MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Hi Pam
    I'm in the same boat as you. I started taking Arimidex just 2 months ago. The first month was a nightmare. Too many side effects to describe. I did some research and read some blogs from others who take this drug and there was mention that changing the time of day can help. I did just that. I first started taking it in the morning. BAD IDEA ... then I switched to later in the afternoon. Still didn't help with side effects. SO I tried around 8:30PM. I felt much better. I changed to time one more time to around 10PM ,,, just when I go to lie down for the night. Somehow, it is making a huge difference. I guess the side effects start up right after taking the Arimidex. Most of the SE's are not apparent for me now. I still have pain in the muscles and joints, but the others have gone into hiding.

I hope you have better luck trying this method.

xoxo
    Mary
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Aromatase Inhibitors
    Hi Pam,

Anastrozole (Arimidex) Femara, Aromasin are classified as Aromatase Inhibitors (AI's) and can have some awful side effects. You do not say what side effects you are having.

I was Arimidex for years and years and years and I blessed this drug, it kept me NED and able to enjoy life to the hilt while on it. Arimidex was the first one out of AI's and when I was on it, they didn't know that fractures could happen. A minor fall gave me 3 fracture vertebrae which led to my using a bisphosphonates which led to my developing uveitis (auto immune inflammatory condition of uvea (eyes). It eventually fail and I tried it's kissing cousin Femara that gave 2 and 10 months. On Femara I did develop awful joints & bones pain to the point I could hardly walk.

I love these drugs and wish I could go back on it.

If you are very ER+ or PR+, they are excellent drugs. I still have Aromasin but the cancer would now know how to deactivate it, so I need to wait a while before trying that one along with a newer drug called Afinitor.

Not certain what your side effects are and they might be fixable with some vitamins and etc. I had no joint or bone pain on Arimidex, yet Femara I had them. Some women do have the pain ease up over time, some don't.

What you don't want to be is stage IV. If Ai's can keep you from going there, they might be worth the price of a few minor pains. I used Vitamin D, Magnesium, B12 to help out with the pain. I also wore lidocaine patches on my ankles to help with the pain there. I have a brace on one ankle so they were prescribe and I used a half patch on the other one.

Hoping this information will help you,

Wishing you my very best in finding a solution,

Doris
  • pamcb3
    pamcb3 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    SIROD said:

Aromatase Inhibitors
    Hi Pam,

Anastrozole (Arimidex) Femara, Aromasin are classified as Aromatase Inhibitors (AI's) and can have some awful side effects. You do not say what side effects you are having.

I was Arimidex for years and years and years and I blessed this drug, it kept me NED and able to enjoy life to the hilt while on it. Arimidex was the first one out of AI's and when I was on it, they didn't know that fractures could happen. A minor fall gave me 3 fracture vertebrae which led to my using a bisphosphonates which led to my developing uveitis (auto immune inflammatory condition of uvea (eyes). It eventually fail and I tried it's kissing cousin Femara that gave 2 and 10 months. On Femara I did develop awful joints & bones pain to the point I could hardly walk.

I love these drugs and wish I could go back on it.

If you are very ER+ or PR+, they are excellent drugs. I still have Aromasin but the cancer would now know how to deactivate it, so I need to wait a while before trying that one along with a newer drug called Afinitor.

Not certain what your side effects are and they might be fixable with some vitamins and etc. I had no joint or bone pain on Arimidex, yet Femara I had them. Some women do have the pain ease up over time, some don't.

What you don't want to be is stage IV. If Ai's can keep you from going there, they might be worth the price of a few minor pains. I used Vitamin D, Magnesium, B12 to help out with the pain. I also wore lidocaine patches on my ankles to help with the pain there. I have a brace on one ankle so they were prescribe and I used a half patch on the other one.

Hoping this information will help you,

Wishing you my very best in finding a solution,

Doris

Anastrozole
    Hi,
    I have switched and am taking it at night. I have added magnesium, coq10 and glucosamine condroitin also. I forgot to mention that I have had to have shots of Loupron every other month to push me through menopause. Next month will be my third shot and will be my third month on anastrozole also. I have increased my physical activity. I walk my dog for at least 30 mins everyday, I have added yoga twice a week, I use the elliptical trainer 30 mins 4x a week, light weight training 3-4x a week and constant stretching because of pain... It has been such a struggle to increase my activity with the way I feel, the pain is incredible!! Sleeping is awful, and when I wake uneven my reconstruction hurts!! Between my tear ducts being ruined and now this, I am so angry!! I am forging on and doing everything I can to feel good. I am hoping the side effects will go away with time and the changes I have made. Has anyone gotten through the side effects?. My Dr. Feels this medicine is the best to prevent reoccurrence but I don't want to feel this awful for 5 years!!!!!