2»

Comments

• Marty36
    Marty36 Member Posts: 84
    Options
    LeoS2323 said:

All Done
    All done folks, stil above ground!

In hospital the following day. Massive scar - might scare the kids a bit :-) but the pain isn't too bad so far (just turned down my painkillers dont need em!) Can lift my arm right up, move tongue about, grit teeth etc so looks like the doc has done a great job of saving my function.

Going to take some time to heal but this is the first major hurdle towards getting better.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone and good luck in all your battles.

Leo

I was totally freaked out by
    I was totally freaked out by the scar. It bothered me more than them chopping up my tongue. THe first time I looked in the mirror, it looked awful. Then I realized they hadn't bothered to clean off the blood on my face.

In the end, the incision was done amazingly and most people say they can't even see it. Once the staple marks went away, it became even less noticeable. While I still probably won't wear a t-shirt in public too often, the scar barely crosses my mind now and I don't even look at it/for it when I look in the mirror.
  • LeoS2323
    LeoS2323 Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Marty36 said:

I was totally freaked out by
    I was totally freaked out by the scar. It bothered me more than them chopping up my tongue. THe first time I looked in the mirror, it looked awful. Then I realized they hadn't bothered to clean off the blood on my face.

In the end, the incision was done amazingly and most people say they can't even see it. Once the staple marks went away, it became even less noticeable. While I still probably won't wear a t-shirt in public too often, the scar barely crosses my mind now and I don't even look at it/for it when I look in the mirror.

Thanks all
    Feeling strong, ready for home now. Tommy & Ingrid point taken on the meds.

Gave into first lot of painkillers about an hour ago - guess I just wanted to see what I was dealing with pain wise when all the numbness was gone before taking the benefit of them, and it was starting to really throb so thought it time to say yes.

My drain is pretty empty today so reckon I will be seeing the wife and kids soon! They have me on codeine and paracetamol which have certainly done the trick with the pain, but I think you need to take it easy with codeine so just a couple of days on that.

I really trust my oncologist / surgeon and he really seems to have come good for me, everything is working fine.

Thanks for all the kind wishes and encouragement, you are wonderful people and I appreciate your support massively!

All the best

Leo
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    LeoS2323 said:

Thanks all
    Feeling strong, ready for home now. Tommy & Ingrid point taken on the meds.

Gave into first lot of painkillers about an hour ago - guess I just wanted to see what I was dealing with pain wise when all the numbness was gone before taking the benefit of them, and it was starting to really throb so thought it time to say yes.

My drain is pretty empty today so reckon I will be seeing the wife and kids soon! They have me on codeine and paracetamol which have certainly done the trick with the pain, but I think you need to take it easy with codeine so just a couple of days on that.

I really trust my oncologist / surgeon and he really seems to have come good for me, everything is working fine.

Thanks for all the kind wishes and encouragement, you are wonderful people and I appreciate your support massively!

All the best

Leo

Go Home, Already
    I was very surprised to discover my dissection didn't hurt as much as my tonsillectomy. I'm sure you got a big hit, but I agree - if I could've gotten all my surgery done in one shot, that's the route I would have taken.

Very, very pleased to hear you can eat and raise your right arm. Hope your recovery is quick and boring.
  • LeoS2323
    Options
    Pam M said:

Go Home, Already
    I was very surprised to discover my dissection didn't hurt as much as my tonsillectomy. I'm sure you got a big hit, but I agree - if I could've gotten all my surgery done in one shot, that's the route I would have taken.

Very, very pleased to hear you can eat and raise your right arm. Hope your recovery is quick and boring.

Not going home yet :-(
    My drain has filled up too much again and apparently I have a 'chyle leak' which is when a lymph vein that drains the fat from your body is damaged during the surgery. This means I have to go on a fat free diet whilst it heals, several more days in hospital at least!

Drain has to stay in while it heals. The other outcome is back into surgery though so hopefully the diet sorts it. These things are sent to test us, will just have to get on with it but gutted about not seeing the kids yet, had my heart set on it...:-(
  • LeoS2323
    Options
    LeoS2323 said:

Not going home yet :-(
    My drain has filled up too much again and apparently I have a 'chyle leak' which is when a lymph vein that drains the fat from your body is damaged during the surgery. This means I have to go on a fat free diet whilst it heals, several more days in hospital at least!

Drain has to stay in while it heals. The other outcome is back into surgery though so hopefully the diet sorts it. These things are sent to test us, will just have to get on with it but gutted about not seeing the kids yet, had my heart set on it...:-(

The professor is a genius
    So after the two young registrars came in, poked and prodded me and told me confidently this morning that I had a 'chyle leak' leaving me very disappointed and worried about a complication, I was wallowing a bit when my oncologist / surgeon Professor Jones flies in, in a blaze of glory!

'That's not chyle' he says immediately pointing to my drain. 'How can you do a very simple test for chyle?' registrars not too confident now, look at one another - one of them stammers something about sending it to the lab. 'No! Says Jones, 'chyle is fatty just put it in a cup with the blood mixed in and see if it floats'. Which they promptly do, and it doesn't!

The operation couldn't have been more straightforward he says, I thank him - he extends and shakes my hand, gives me a wink and leaves me in absolutely no doubt I am in the best possible hands! As I'm still draining I am probably in for another day but no need for the fat free diet, no complication and no overly extended stay in hospital. The guy just exudes presence and positivity, I am so fortunate to have him looking after me!

Day turned around completely, he just picked me up and put me back up where I was before!

All the best

Leo
  • stayingpositive
    stayingpositive Member Posts: 89
    Options
    LeoS2323 said:

So after the two young registrars came in, poked and prodded me and told me confidently this morning that I had a 'chyle leak' leaving me very disappointed and worried about a complication, I was wallowing a bit when my oncologist / surgeon Professor Jones flies in, in a blaze of glory!

'That's not chyle' he says immediately pointing to my drain. 'How can you do a very simple test for chyle?' registrars not too confident now, look at one another - one of them stammers something about sending it to the lab. 'No! Says Jones, 'chyle is fatty just put it in a cup with the blood mixed in and see if it floats'. Which they promptly do, and it doesn't!

The operation couldn't have been more straightforward he says, I thank him - he extends and shakes my hand, gives me a wink and leaves me in absolutely no doubt I am in the best possible hands! As I'm still draining I am probably in for another day but no need for the fat free diet, no complication and no overly extended stay in hospital. The guy just exudes presence and positivity, I am so fortunate to have him looking after me!

Day turned around completely, he just picked me up and put me back up where I was before!

All the best

Leo

Drains
    I had double drains, grenades I called them (hemostats), they sent me home on day two with instructions on how to drain them and make sure I wrote down how much drained (measure in a cup, which they provided).
    Sounds like your coming along nicely!

Stay Positive

Bill
  • Mrs. Sarge
    Mrs. Sarge Member Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Drains
    I had double drains, grenades I called them (hemostats), they sent me home on day two with instructions on how to drain them and make sure I wrote down how much drained (measure in a cup, which they provided).
    Sounds like your coming along nicely!

Stay Positive

Bill

Good progress, Leo
    Good for you, Leo! I noticed in about 2 hrs your news changed...isn't that great!!! Sounds like you do have an awesome DR......keep up the fight!!!
  • ditto1
    ditto1 Member Posts: 660
    Options
    LeoS2323 said:

All the best

Leo

ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK
    Leo you just have such good vibes that come thru your blogs/ I hope all will be well but have no doubt you will be fine. One thing I learned, this site is definetly 24 hours a day as I see many post in the wee hours of the night/mornings. Good to know should we experience a sleepless nite or just cannot wait to spread Good News.
  • LeoS2323
    Options
    ditto1 said:

ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK
    Leo you just have such good vibes that come thru your blogs/ I hope all will be well but have no doubt you will be fine. One thing I learned, this site is definetly 24 hours a day as I see many post in the wee hours of the night/mornings. Good to know should we experience a sleepless nite or just cannot wait to spread Good News.

Timezones
    Well I guess we are all in different time zones ditto - some west, some east, some central and some all the way over in England where I am! That usually means someone is about most of the time. Then of course you've got Kent putting in those shifts so he can be about at different times!

Always someone here to share with - its such a big boost .

All the best with your scan results my friend

Leo
  • Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813
    Options
    LeoS2323 said:

Timezones
    Well I guess we are all in different time zones ditto - some west, some east, some central and some all the way over in England where I am! That usually means someone is about most of the time. Then of course you've got Kent putting in those shifts so he can be about at different times!

Always someone here to share with - its such a big boost .

All the best with your scan results my friend

Leo

can you Skype ?>
    Leo, wonder if you can set up a Skype call to "see" your kids ? don't know if you have a webcam on both ends or not. Just a thoiught, but hopefully you will get out soon and see them in person. It sounds like you are in good hands, doctor-wise.
  • LeoS2323
    Options
    Ingrid K said:

can you Skype ?>
    Leo, wonder if you can set up a Skype call to "see" your kids ? don't know if you have a webcam on both ends or not. Just a thoiught, but hopefully you will get out soon and see them in person. It sounds like you are in good hands, doctor-wise.

Hi Ingrid
    A fine idea but kind of don't want them to see me laid up in hospital - don't want to worry / scare them! I will have to think of a good cover story for the scar! I'm up at 4:30 over here because wowee this tonsil and BOT biopsy are giving it to me all guns blazing!! Drain is really clear though think I will be off home later today...:-)
  • Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813
    Options
    LeoS2323 said:

Hi Ingrid
    A fine idea but kind of don't want them to see me laid up in hospital - don't want to worry / scare them! I will have to think of a good cover story for the scar! I'm up at 4:30 over here because wowee this tonsil and BOT biopsy are giving it to me all guns blazing!! Drain is really clear though think I will be off home later today...:-)

get out of there, Leo !
    oops, you're right... don't want to scare them. poor babies. Hope you get sprung out of there real soon and can go home and see them in person. Don't suffer with the pain -- ask for more/different meds. You may need something for breakthru pain.
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    LeoS2323 said:

Hi Ingrid

I've been keeping up, Leo....
    between naps :) (I'm taking a LOT of those)....It's inspiring to see you so UP, so ready to hit the road and get home!! A big "phew" on the drain situation...Hope you got out and this post finds you lounging/recooping at home today.

p