Odd reaction to GOLFA

Options
taraHK
taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
Hi All,

Last week I had my first chemo with a new combination: Gemzar, FOLFOX plus Avastin (GOLF-A).

I have been on FOLFOX many times before -- with and without Avastin. The dosage of oxaliplatin that I'm on at the moment is pretty low. This was my first time on the Gemzar. From what I have heard, most people do not have much reaction/side effects to Gemzar (this is certainly my oncologist's experience).

After the GEMZAR, I started to run a low grade fever. And then much later, during the oxaliplatin infusion, my blood pressure plummeted (to 70 something over something). The infusion was stopped for several hours. Then my oncologist put me on dopamine (low dose) to raise my pressure. I stayed on it for a while. When they tried to wean off the dopamine, blood pressure low again. I eventually made it through!

Has anyone had similar experiences?? I guess it could be a reaction to oxaliplatin, even tho I've never had that reaction before. (Oxi is a strange thing!).

Fingers crossed for next week.

Tara

Comments

• relaxoutdoors08
    relaxoutdoors08 Member Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Low Blood Pressure during Folfox
    Tara,
    What kind of anti nausea or pre meds are you given before your Oxy infusion? During Folfox, I had a severe drop in blood pressure the day after the premeds wore off and I was taking two different standard anti nausea meds. Compazine and I forgot the one they tried next. I decided I would go without the anti nausea meds Day 2 and Day 3 while on the 5FU pump. I felt so much better because my blood pressure was higher and I did not feel so "wiped out".

Thinking about you and hoping all goes better next week.
    NB
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options

Tara,
    What kind of anti nausea or pre meds are you given before your Oxy infusion? During Folfox, I had a severe drop in blood pressure the day after the premeds wore off and I was taking two different standard anti nausea meds. Compazine and I forgot the one they tried next. I decided I would go without the anti nausea meds Day 2 and Day 3 while on the 5FU pump. I felt so much better because my blood pressure was higher and I did not feel so "wiped out".

NB

Tara
    oh Tara i am so sorry you are having this trouble with your chemo. Listen girl.....if you told me that when they started the oxy infusion you sprouted green whiskers i would believe you....it is a strange drug and one's reaction to it seems to change. In addition to all the steroids and anti-nausea, i used to take Tylenol throughout the infusion, just to help with the general pain that is oxy....

okay Tara fingers and toes crossed for next week

all the best,

maggie
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options

Tara,

NB

interesting...
    Thanks NB -- that is really interesting. I take two different antinausea premeds too (Navoban and Emend, I think) -- plus steroid plus antihistamine. I guess it could be one of those, too. It's hard to know, isn't it, with all that different stuff going into our body. Glad your low blood pressure issue was resolved and that you are feeling better....

Tara