I'm Sad - Levon Helm (The Band, and Other Great Enterprises) is Dying

Options
Pam M
Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
Dunno why this has touched me so. I've known of others who have died of head and neck cancer - people I've been acquainted with (thank you, CSN and OCF). I didn't even know this man had ever had throat cancer until today. But his imminent passing is gripping me - odd, for someone like me. Not that I'm heartless, I just normally distance myself or distract myself to avoid emotions dealing with others. So, sorry to be taking up site space and your time, but I just want to wallow for a few.

I've very cheap, and normally refuse to buy music. The Band's "Greatest Hits" CD was an exception. That music helped me during my cancer journey - I even had it played during a couple of my rads sessions. Levon Helm was the drummer for the band The Band, and did a lot of vocals. Some of you may be familiar with "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", "Up on Cripple Creek" and "The Weight" ("Take a load off, Annie"), to name a few. Some of you (Soccer, I'm sure) will be fans of much more.

Mr Helm was first treated for throat cancer over ten years ago. I don't know his health history at all - just that it was over ten years ago, and was throat cancer. Dunno if what is currently attacking his body is recurrence, mets, or if it's the original monster that they've been holding at bay for over ten years. I just know this one smarts for me, and I've never been one to relate to celebrities. (I do recall feeling horrible for Weird Al Yankovich when I read his parents died together, I believe due to carbon monoxide poisoning, but that was a oner, I thought.)

Anywoo - I've forgotten how to insert links here, but I just did some Googling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cnAfSsk2wc&feature=related is an interview with Levon helm - couple years ago, talking about his VOCAL CHORD cancer and losing (and regaining) his voice. I really liked it.

And, as far as the music goes - Google some - this man has LOADS. Here's "The Weight" - not the version I'm accustomed to - but I really liked seeing the man do his thing almost ten years AFTER cancer treatment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BAp5BxpIR8&feature=related

The Weight isn't my fave The Band song, but I think it's right to share a song about a guy who starts out doing one small, simple thing, and ends up helping a lot of people. People like me. And you, too, I hope - now that I've shared.

Comments

• RogerRN43
    RogerRN43 Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Died today at 130pm surrounded by friends and bandmates
    Health history: heavy smoker, 3 packs/day, quit when diagnosed in 1998.
    Ca of the vocal cords, extent unknown, underwent 25 rads at MSK.
    Succumbed to recurrence and/or mets unknown.
    I didn't know he did some acting too.
    Talented individual.
    RIP
  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    Options
    Levon
    Here is another link, to a PBS interview with Levon, which also includes links to a couple of songs he performed at his so-called Midnight Rambles (The Weight being one of them, Ophelia the other), where musicians of various genres (Donald Fagen? Who'd a thunk it?) would visit for what amounted to both a hootnanny and a tribute to the man:

http://www.pbs.org/arts/gallery/quick-hits-levon-helm-theweight/quick-hits-levon-helm-interview/

Take care,

Joe
  • Pam M
    Options

Levon
    Here is another link, to a PBS interview with Levon, which also includes links to a couple of songs he performed at his so-called Midnight Rambles (The Weight being one of them, Ophelia the other), where musicians of various genres (Donald Fagen? Who'd a thunk it?) would visit for what amounted to both a hootnanny and a tribute to the man:

http://www.pbs.org/arts/gallery/quick-hits-levon-helm-theweight/quick-hits-levon-helm-interview/

Take care,

Joe

Fagen
    Saw him mentioned - he's linked to Levon Helm by marriage somehow? (Besides musically, of course.) Yeah - I wouldn't have guessed a big Helm/Fagen pairing, either.
  • hawk711
    hawk711 Member Posts: 566
    Options
    Pam M said:

Fagen
    Saw him mentioned - he's linked to Levon Helm by marriage somehow? (Besides musically, of course.) Yeah - I wouldn't have guessed a big Helm/Fagen pairing, either.

My youth
    Levon was a great musician and person. I grew up with the Band and all their great music. It seems odd that I am a drummer with BOT cancer. Hope it's not related to the drums! LOL. He will never be forgotten as long as his music is played by the masses...
    I hope he's hooked up with Janis, Jimi, Jim Morrison and others to create and heck of a band in heaven....
    God rest his soul.
  • denistd
    denistd Member Posts: 597
    Options
    hawk711 said:

My youth
    Levon was a great musician and person. I grew up with the Band and all their great music. It seems odd that I am a drummer with BOT cancer. Hope it's not related to the drums! LOL. He will never be forgotten as long as his music is played by the masses...
    I hope he's hooked up with Janis, Jimi, Jim Morrison and others to create and heck of a band in heaven....
    God rest his soul.

Levon
    Saw them at The Albert Hall in London with Bob Dylan, didn't know their names but they were good. The weight is a seminal song, I remember doing it with my band in the late sixties, as for drummers with throat cancer there are a few, Charlie Watts was treated in 2005 I believe. Musicians seem to be open to this cancer, maybe because such a large percentage of musos were heavy smokers, drinkers and drugs, of course we know about George Harrison. there was not such widespread knowledge then of the ramifications of this lifestyle, I smoked, drank a lot, never was into the drugs, but my lifestyles definitely contributed to my cancer, that generation is now of age to suffer the ramifications.
  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    denistd said:

Levon
    Saw them at The Albert Hall in London with Bob Dylan, didn't know their names but they were good. The weight is a seminal song, I remember doing it with my band in the late sixties, as for drummers with throat cancer there are a few, Charlie Watts was treated in 2005 I believe. Musicians seem to be open to this cancer, maybe because such a large percentage of musos were heavy smokers, drinkers and drugs, of course we know about George Harrison. there was not such widespread knowledge then of the ramifications of this lifestyle, I smoked, drank a lot, never was into the drugs, but my lifestyles definitely contributed to my cancer, that generation is now of age to suffer the ramifications.

Pam, I got two words for you
    "Jack Klugman", diagnosed in 1974 and will be 90 next week on the 27th. I heard the news today also and was saddened because Levon was, "one of us". On the 27th, I want you to celebrate for one of us who still lives!
  • Pam M
    Options
    ratface said:

Pam, I got two words for you
    "Jack Klugman", diagnosed in 1974 and will be 90 next week on the 27th. I heard the news today also and was saddened because Levon was, "one of us". On the 27th, I want you to celebrate for one of us who still lives!

You Got It, Ratface!!
    I actually didn't realize he was still alive. He was in the fight long before I ever had a concern, but it made me happy to know he made it through (after the initial shock of his "new" voice). Even then, I wondered why he didn't do much on tv anymore - didn't see how the voice would keep folks from offering roles.

Jack Klugman - wow. Thanks for bringing him up - now I've got a happy patch all over again. You should post a reminder for us all to celebrate his birthday.
  • Pam M
    Options
    denistd said:

Levon

I wasn't even in Band in School
    But like you, Denis, I really think that my former lifestyle did surely contribute to my cancer. I did a few years of a too much smoking and celebrating, myself. Kind of felt sorry for myself that the sickness turned up years after I'd cleaned up my act - hoped I'd have gotten some sort of health reward for turning away from "the dark side". Maybe I did, though, and should be more grateful.

You must've been pretty strong in your convictions to not fall into the same heavy drug use that so many of your peers fell victim to.
  • Pam M
    Options
    RogerRN43 said:

Talented individual.
    RIP

Wow
    Three packs a day!?! I have heard many folks say this. I was a heavy smoker (Virginia Slims Menthol Lights 120s - yum!), but could not get my head around three packs a day. I quit several years before the cancer was discovered.
    I did read, though that docs wanted to take his vocal chords round one, and he opted for rads instead.
  • denistd
    Options
    Pam M said:

I wasn't even in Band in School
    But like you, Denis, I really think that my former lifestyle did surely contribute to my cancer. I did a few years of a too much smoking and celebrating, myself. Kind of felt sorry for myself that the sickness turned up years after I'd cleaned up my act - hoped I'd have gotten some sort of health reward for turning away from "the dark side". Maybe I did, though, and should be more grateful.

You must've been pretty strong in your convictions to not fall into the same heavy drug use that so many of your peers fell victim to.

Musicians
    Yes I was very anti-drug in my career, I saw it's destructive path while in my teens, my closest friend was Steve Marriott and he was the lead vocals in the band, but even then he was into stuff and it wrecked his performance, his life was a blur because of it and he lost his way, same thing with Brian Jones, tons of talent gone up the nose and puffed into lungs. I wonder if the young musicians of today heed the lesson of the 60's 70's generation, what am I saying, Amy Winehouse was the poster for this stupid behavior.
  • Mikemetz
    Mikemetz Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    RogerRN43 said:

Talented individual.
    RIP

Tears for Levon
    I have been a big fan of The Band since they started with Dylan, and have kept up with members who had careers past The Band, including Levon Helm. M wife and I were driving out of town last weekend and I played "Rymin' and the Ryman" there and back, unaware of his current fight against cancer. A few days later I read that he had a recurrence and wasn't going to survive much longer, and the next day his obit appeared. Reading it brought tears to me eyes because of how much I loved his music, and that he died from HNC. He was truly an American musical treasure.

Mike
  • Pam M
    Options
    Mikemetz said:

Tears for Levon
    I have been a big fan of The Band since they started with Dylan, and have kept up with members who had careers past The Band, including Levon Helm. M wife and I were driving out of town last weekend and I played "Rymin' and the Ryman" there and back, unaware of his current fight against cancer. A few days later I read that he had a recurrence and wasn't going to survive much longer, and the next day his obit appeared. Reading it brought tears to me eyes because of how much I loved his music, and that he died from HNC. He was truly an American musical treasure.

Mike

Great Guy
    I knew nothing of this man (Mr. Helm) before. A couple things I read made it clear that LOTS of people that worked with him thought he was great. One said he was one of the few people you could turn your back on. Elton John's "Levon" was named for him. Sorry I never paid more attention, or listened to his later musical works.
  • mls351w
    mls351w Member Posts: 90
    Options
    denistd said:

Musicians
    Yes I was very anti-drug in my career, I saw it's destructive path while in my teens, my closest friend was Steve Marriott and he was the lead vocals in the band, but even then he was into stuff and it wrecked his performance, his life was a blur because of it and he lost his way, same thing with Brian Jones, tons of talent gone up the nose and puffed into lungs. I wonder if the young musicians of today heed the lesson of the 60's 70's generation, what am I saying, Amy Winehouse was the poster for this stupid behavior.

Denistd, THE Steve Marriott??
    Denistd, are you talking about the Steve Marriott of Humble Pie and Small Faces ect?
    On top of the alcohol and drugs wasn't he diagnosed with schichophrenia(mis-spelled)like Syd Barrett. Really sad.
  • denistd
    Options
    mls351w said:

Denistd, THE Steve Marriott??
    Denistd, are you talking about the Steve Marriott of Humble Pie and Small Faces ect?
    On top of the alcohol and drugs wasn't he diagnosed with schichophrenia(mis-spelled)like Syd Barrett. Really sad.

Steve
    Yes, I grew up in east London and Steve was with me in our first band, incredible talent, could learn to play a particular instrument at the drop of a hat. I left England in 1974 and only spoke with him over the phone in later years. Yes, at some point around 1980 he had behavioral problems and had a split personality, hence the wearing of coveralls all of the time, his other half was a plumber, real sad. He died in 1991 in a house fire, started, according to officials as a dropped cigarette in his bed.
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    denistd said:

Steve
    Yes, I grew up in east London and Steve was with me in our first band, incredible talent, could learn to play a particular instrument at the drop of a hat. I left England in 1974 and only spoke with him over the phone in later years. Yes, at some point around 1980 he had behavioral problems and had a split personality, hence the wearing of coveralls all of the time, his other half was a plumber, real sad. He died in 1991 in a house fire, started, according to officials as a dropped cigarette in his bed.

Rockers
    Knew about Peter Tork, but did not remember about Charlie Watts. Seems a couple years ago someone posted a list of famous H&N people, and there were some rockers included. Think a man named Douglas has been added to the list since then...

One of my Sister's best friends in High School was a Knudsen boy- the younger Brother of Keith Knudsen- one of the drummers with the Doobie Brothers, who died at the age of 56 of pneumonia during a bout with C. Not sure which type of C drummer Keith had, but COD suggests it may have been lung, which is what killed my Sister at the age of 52.

kcass
  • Pam M
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

Rockers
    Knew about Peter Tork, but did not remember about Charlie Watts. Seems a couple years ago someone posted a list of famous H&N people, and there were some rockers included. Think a man named Douglas has been added to the list since then...

One of my Sister's best friends in High School was a Knudsen boy- the younger Brother of Keith Knudsen- one of the drummers with the Doobie Brothers, who died at the age of 56 of pneumonia during a bout with C. Not sure which type of C drummer Keith had, but COD suggests it may have been lung, which is what killed my Sister at the age of 52.

kcass

Partial list of Cancer Fighters
    I recall that post - I liked it. I will try to find it. In the meantime -

Here are some I just Googled (hmm, when you use it as a verb, I guess "Google" is not capitalized):
    Jack Klugman, Aaron Spelling, Alan King, Ben Gazarra, Humphrey Bogart, George Harrison, Eddie Van Halen, Babe Ruth, Ulysses S. Grant, Sigmund Freud, Bruce Paltrow (yep, Gwyneth's dad). Freud was jaw, Grant base of tongue, Ruth tonsil,
    Sammy Davis, Jr – Larynx –
    Grover Cleveland – Hard palette
    Yul Brynner – remember that commercial years ago?
    Michael Douglas – base of tongue
    Esophageal Cancer
    • William R. Bennett Jr. - Physicist (Gas Lasers)
    • Bill Cameron - Canadian News Anchor
    • Bruce Dal Canton - Baseball Player
    • Kenjiro Haitani - Japanese Children's Author
    • **** Hickox (Esophageal Cancer, Colon Cancer) - Basketball Player
    • Makoto "Mako" Iwamatsu - Actor
    • Jaap Penraat - Helped Jews escape the Holocaust
    • Martin Arthur Pomerantz - Astrophysicist
    • Ann Richards - Texas Governor
    • Ron Silver - Actor
    • Larry Stewart - Secret Santa (anonymously gave away $100 bills to the needy each December)
    • Tom Lantos - Member of Congress and Holocaust Survivor
    Head and Neck Cancer
    • Bobby Hamilton - NASCAR driver
    • Victor Navarra - Firefighter, Marathon Runner/Coordinator
    Throat Cancer
    • Ed Bailey - Baseball Player
    • Amanda Blake - Actress
    • Humphrey Bogart - Actor
    • Graham Chapman - Comedian
    • John Michael Crichton - Author
    • Socks Clinton - First Cat (White House Cat)
    • Sean Connery (Polyps) - Actor
    • Sammy Davis, Jr. - Entertainer
    • Michael Douglas - Actor
    • Mike Evans - Actor
    • Clay S. Felker - New York Magazine Founder and Editor
    • Abu Ghazala - Former Egyptian defense minister
    • Ulysses S. Grant - US President
    • George Harrison - Musician
    • Judy Holliday - Actress
    • Jack Klugman - Actor
    • Alan Landers - Winston Cigarette Advertising Model (Winston Man)
    • Barbara McNair - Singer and Actress
    • Karl Mueller - Soul Asylum Bassist
    • Sam Myers - Blues Musician and Singer
    • Darrell [Wayne] Perry - Musician
    • John Prine - Folk Singer
    • Anne Ramsey - Actress
    • Babe Ruth - Baseball Player
    • Aaron Spelling (Oral Cancer, Stroke) - TV Producer
    • Tag (Oral Cancer) - Steller sea lion (Vancouver Acquarium)
    • Lana Turner - Actress
    • Charlie Watts - Drummer (Rolling Stones)
    • Mary Wells (Larynx Cancer) - Singer
    Thyroid Cancer
    • Isaac Asimov - Author
    • Catherine Bell - Actress
    • Rudy Bladel - Serial Killer (1978 Railroad Murders)
    • Richard Crenna - Actor
    • Gail Devers - Athlete
    • Jerry DiPoto - Baseball Player
    • Roger Ebert - Movie Critic
    • Nanci Griffith (Breast Cancer, Thyroid Cancer) - Singer
    • Eli Marrero - Baseball Player
    • Michelle Jessica Noble - Addict Counselor
    • Bessie Padilla - Philippine Model/Actress
    • Joe Piscopo - Actor/Comedian
    • William Rehnquist - Supreme Court Justice
    • Rod Stewart - Musician
    • Jeanne Zelasko - Sportscaster

Surprised denistd isn't listed here. He may not be as famous as Michael Douglas, but would surely be more recognized than many on the list above. Did you keep your status out of the public eye?
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    Pam M said:

Here are some I just Googled (hmm, when you use it as a verb, I guess "Google" is not capitalized):
    Jack Klugman, Aaron Spelling, Alan King, Ben Gazarra, Humphrey Bogart, George Harrison, Eddie Van Halen, Babe Ruth, Ulysses S. Grant, Sigmund Freud, Bruce Paltrow (yep, Gwyneth's dad). Freud was jaw, Grant base of tongue, Ruth tonsil,
    Esophageal Cancer
    • Ron Silver - Actor
    • Larry Stewart - Secret Santa (anonymously gave away $100 bills to the needy each December)
    Head and Neck Cancer
    Throat Cancer
    • Amanda Blake - Actress
    • Mike Evans - Actor
    • Jack Klugman - Actor
    • Anne Ramsey - Actress
    • Lana Turner - Actress
    Thyroid Cancer
    • Isaac Asimov - Author
    • Richard Crenna - Actor
    • Gail Devers - Athlete
    • Rod Stewart - Musician

Surprised denistd isn't listed here. He may not be as famous as Michael Douglas, but would surely be more recognized than many on the list above. Did you keep your status out of the public eye?

The list
    That looks like the list, with a couple additions. Does kinda bring the rich and famous down to our level, one might say. Famous, but just people like every one of us. Of note, to me, is that Babe Ruth was specific NPC, and at the time of my 08 diagnosis was considered the most famous American known to have had and died because of NPC. Thank you, Pam.

kcass
  • soccerfreaks
    Options
    Pam M said:

Esophageal Cancer
    • Ron Silver - Actor
    Head and Neck Cancer
    Throat Cancer
    • Amanda Blake - Actress
    • Mike Evans - Actor
    • Jack Klugman - Actor
    • Anne Ramsey - Actress
    • Lana Turner - Actress
    Thyroid Cancer
    • Isaac Asimov - Author
    • Richard Crenna - Actor
    • Gail Devers - Athlete
    • Rod Stewart - Musician

Prine
    I played Prine for years (guitar and vocals), and have always loved the way he plays with lyrics and language. I did not know he was an oral cancer survivor until several years ago (when I started paying attention, of course) and saw him in concert here. His voice had changed to some degree, but you could probably attribute that as much to age as to cancer if you did not know better, and maybe if you did.

That performance, and all of his others since cancer are a testament to courage and willpower. The same can be said for the others on this list, although I cannot say that I 'know' them like I feel I know John Prine.

Take care,

Joe
  • Hal61
    Hal61 Member Posts: 655
    Options

Prine
    I played Prine for years (guitar and vocals), and have always loved the way he plays with lyrics and language. I did not know he was an oral cancer survivor until several years ago (when I started paying attention, of course) and saw him in concert here. His voice had changed to some degree, but you could probably attribute that as much to age as to cancer if you did not know better, and maybe if you did.

That performance, and all of his others since cancer are a testament to courage and willpower. The same can be said for the others on this list, although I cannot say that I 'know' them like I feel I know John Prine.

Take care,

Joe

John Prine and Levon
    Only discovered John Prine in the last 5-6 years, but he and Steve Earle are two of my favorite lyricists now. "Broken the Speed of the Sound of Lonliness" with Nancy Griffith is a favorite--and of course "Sam Stone"---"with a purple heart and monkey on his back".

Someone mentioned Levon had done some acting, and maybe this has been said, but he was Sissy Space Chick's dad in "Coal Miner's Daughter."

Hal
  • soccerfreaks
    Options
    Hal61 said:

John Prine and Levon
    Only discovered John Prine in the last 5-6 years, but he and Steve Earle are two of my favorite lyricists now. "Broken the Speed of the Sound of Lonliness" with Nancy Griffith is a favorite--and of course "Sam Stone"---"with a purple heart and monkey on his back".

Someone mentioned Levon had done some acting, and maybe this has been said, but he was Sissy Space Chick's dad in "Coal Miner's Daughter."

Hal

Ah, Hal
    Check out John's mix on YouTube and even if you do not, find Angel from Montgomery, Hello in There, Mexican Home, and Christmas in Prison, for starters, to say nothing of Paradise, Souvenirs, and Chain of Sorrow. Oh, and That's the Way That the World Goes Round.

Enjoy.

Take care,

Joe