Options
2»

Comments

• Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Whiz Bank Whirl...
    Like King Cole mentioned, you'll learn every click, buzz and rotation...you'll learn when they are done even before they take the few extra minutes to come in and unbolt you....I'd drive them nuts... Iknew from the repetiton and sound when it was over...

I'd be relaxed and ready by the time they came in.

Take comfortable clothes a favorite cd, and a xanax if neede.

I only needed xanax for about a week, then I was used to it....nothing but a thing...

Best,
    John

Noise
    16 years later and my stomach still knots up when I hear that sound.
  • ditto1
    ditto1 Member Posts: 660
    Options

No Bother!
    When I was fitted for the mask and had a CT scan done at the same time I was
    Pertified, but when I went for my first rad session they had cut eye holes out and the
    Room was bright and I didn't have to go "through" a machine, the machine went "around"
    Me. The mask is held in place with foam locking tabs and not strapped down, it is easily
    Removed if you have to do it yourself. I got on the table, head in place, pad under my knees
    then the mask was put on. The tech would put on a Billy Joel cd and leave the room. First the
    Exrays would be done, side and above then I would hear a loud click and the machine
    Would start with its own noise, it lasted two minutes and then the door would slide open
    And in came my techs. It was never a bother like I thought it would have been, but then again
    everyone s different.

God bless
    Tonsil Dad

Dan.

Hey Dan
    I read another blog somewhere that talked about a man who just asked his RAD folks to simply show him how he could take off the MASK himself if he just had to... he said they gladly showed him and after that he was ok with the MASK I think thats maybe all I need to Know, I just worry that the Ice Cream Man may come by and everyone runs out to get something and forgets Im on the table, so to know I could release myself would help. Guess I will not know for sure until I meet my RAD support group.
  • Mrs. Sarge
    Mrs. Sarge Member Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    ditto1 said:

Hey Dan
    I read another blog somewhere that talked about a man who just asked his RAD folks to simply show him how he could take off the MASK himself if he just had to... he said they gladly showed him and after that he was ok with the MASK I think thats maybe all I need to Know, I just worry that the Ice Cream Man may come by and everyone runs out to get something and forgets Im on the table, so to know I could release myself would help. Guess I will not know for sure until I meet my RAD support group.

Mask.....
    What a procedure!! I had mine fitted yesterday. The tech said to shut my eyes while they placed it and then she said I could open them, but alas and alack I could only open up part way and not shut or close!! I could see half-mast so I didn't freak. When the fitting session was over my eyes were watering and she asked if I was OK, probably thinking I was crying, but I told her if she'd cut out the eyes I think I'd make it. I'm going to try to tough it out without meds! It's a very unique experience and to think I get to enjoy it for 28 days!! Awesome!
  • stayingpositive
    stayingpositive Member Posts: 89
    Options
    ditto1 said:

Hey Dan

ice cream? who said ice cream!
    Dang it man, now I gotta go to the fridge and get me some....its cold and soothes my throat, even tho it tastes like poop and is hard to swallow for the first few bites...LOL.

Stay Positive

Bill
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Pam M said:

Never Saw It Coming
    I'm with you, Skiffin. I even tried to casually say "You know, some people on my support site say they have eye holes cut out of their mask so they could see . . . " One tech immediately said "Oh, no" while the second that was there made small side to side head shakes to let me know it was out of the question. I wonder why.

And for the record - NOT missing having waffle face.

After they had my mask fitted....
    and even tho I wasn't freaked out, the TECH HIMSELF pulled out a pen drew around my eyes in order to do eyeholes...I didn't even ask. Wonder why the opposite ends of the poles for the "Eyehole Question"...strange, isn't it?

p
  • stayingpositive
    stayingpositive Member Posts: 89
    Options

ice cream? who said ice cream!
    Dang it man, now I gotta go to the fridge and get me some....its cold and soothes my throat, even tho it tastes like poop and is hard to swallow for the first few bites...LOL.

Stay Positive

Bill

wife intervenes
    wife: "what you got there?"

me: "um, ice creaam?"

wife: (sarcastically) "um, why?"

me: (sheepishly) "um, my throat hurts"

wife: "yeah, yeah we know that, but what about lunch?"

me: "I'll eat something, really I will!"

wife:(pointing to the fridge) "put it back, get some REAL food and then...you can eat ice cream!"

me: "but honey!"

wife:(stern look)

me:...sigh... "ok"

Now how can ya stay positive after that???

Bill
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    ditto1 said:

Hey Dan

Hi Doug

When I had the Mask on I just focus on something in the room at the same time thinking about a song I liked or a scripture. Before I knew it, it was all over and the mask was off.

Take care and God be with you
    Hondo
  • Marty36
    Marty36 Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Doug

When I had the Mask on I just focus on something in the room at the same time thinking about a song I liked or a scripture. Before I knew it, it was all over and the mask was off.

Take care and God be with you
    Hondo

I would do mine before I
    I would do mine before I went to work, so I planned out my day or started planning in my head the emails I needed to send. I also found it helpful to try to figure out the pattern that the machine was moving in. That allowed me, since it was generally the same one, to figure out how much longer I had until it was done. The cyberknife process is 45 minutes so I would take a pain med just to help me relax (and because it bothered the back of my neck). But again, I found myself just daydreaming or planning my schedule.