Hot flashes and night sweats

Options
Jobi
Jobi Member Posts: 211
edited April 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, Ladies,

It's me again. Tomorrow is my second round of Taxol. Since my last update, I have gotten more pain in my neck, back, and pelvis. I would still take this any day over the nausea that came with A/C.

Anyway, I am having a terrible time with hot flashes and night sweats. I keep waking up covered in sweat; then I get cold. I did tell my doctor about it. She didn't have much to offer - other than "deal with it." Any suggestions, advice?

Thanks!

Dorene

Comments

• Penny67
    Penny67 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Hot flashes are no picnic
    I can tell you that I had the same thing after I started chemo. I would wake up so wet that I would have to change my clothes. I think I was averaging about 50 hot flashes a day and they weren't mild. Things did start to quiet down was I got closer to the half way point in my chemo. I have been finished with chemo since December 14, 2011 and I am having about 10 hot flashes each day. Since I have been taking tamoxifen the hot flashes have increased a bit so we'll see how bad they get. I know that my doctor told me I could go on a low dose of Effexor (an antidepressant) to help with them if they were too much for me to take. I guess as the weather warms up here in WI I will see if my hot flashes also warm up.
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    HotFlash
    Dorene... I feel for you. I remember going through night sweats when I was on chemo. The doctor didn't offer any suggestions for me too. If it's any consolation, they do decrease when off the heavy drugs. I am on Tamoxifen and I still get them. But the intensity has decreased, what a relief.

Hang in there.
  • Jobi
    Options
    Penny67 said:

Hot flashes are no picnic
    I can tell you that I had the same thing after I started chemo. I would wake up so wet that I would have to change my clothes. I think I was averaging about 50 hot flashes a day and they weren't mild. Things did start to quiet down was I got closer to the half way point in my chemo. I have been finished with chemo since December 14, 2011 and I am having about 10 hot flashes each day. Since I have been taking tamoxifen the hot flashes have increased a bit so we'll see how bad they get. I know that my doctor told me I could go on a low dose of Effexor (an antidepressant) to help with them if they were too much for me to take. I guess as the weather warms up here in WI I will see if my hot flashes also warm up.

I was so relieved when I
    I was so relieved when I read your post. The number of flashes that I experience a day is pretty high, and I didn't want anyone to think I was exaggerating. I am on a low dose of Pristiq which is also an anti-depressant, but that doesn't seem to be working. I will start praying for cool air for now!

Thanks!!!
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have hot flashes from
    Hi, I have hot flashes from surgical menopause, but had them before the surgery naturally. My breast surgeon recommended I take Evening Primrose Oil and Vitamin E supplements. I take the last two of the day closer together for night sweats. Mine can be just horrible. I also keep an ice pack in bed and a water bottle half frozen with ice and the rest water. have a ceiling fan that I run at night too. Fans really seem to help me.

There are lots of things to avoid eating or drinking to help not get hot flashes. The only three I can think of off hand are caffeine,alcohol and spicey foods.

I also take Black Cohosh, but it is not good for estrogen positive cancers. I was hormone positive but my doctors said it was ok in my particular situation.

There is a wonderful website called hystersisters.com that has thousands of women talking about menopause on there. Lots of tips and advice.

I had a hot flash at the vet the other day that my whole body was sweating...had sweat dripping down my legs, clothes were damp...

I hear you on the uncomfortableness. I sleep with a light blanket, cotton pj top that breathes and is light and I am still doing the covers on, covers off and get cold cuz I am wet and the house temp is at 63.

Sweating along with you....
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Options

Hi, I have hot flashes from
    Hi, I have hot flashes from surgical menopause, but had them before the surgery naturally. My breast surgeon recommended I take Evening Primrose Oil and Vitamin E supplements. I take the last two of the day closer together for night sweats. Mine can be just horrible. I also keep an ice pack in bed and a water bottle half frozen with ice and the rest water. have a ceiling fan that I run at night too. Fans really seem to help me.

There are lots of things to avoid eating or drinking to help not get hot flashes. The only three I can think of off hand are caffeine,alcohol and spicey foods.

I also take Black Cohosh, but it is not good for estrogen positive cancers. I was hormone positive but my doctors said it was ok in my particular situation.

There is a wonderful website called hystersisters.com that has thousands of women talking about menopause on there. Lots of tips and advice.

I had a hot flash at the vet the other day that my whole body was sweating...had sweat dripping down my legs, clothes were damp...

I hear you on the uncomfortableness. I sleep with a light blanket, cotton pj top that breathes and is light and I am still doing the covers on, covers off and get cold cuz I am wet and the house temp is at 63.

Sweating along with you....

Add Me
    I too have hot flashes and night sweats. They started about 1-2 months after I started chemo. Came on full force when I started Tamoxfen. My onc said there wasn't much to do since I was estrogen+. He did say they would be worse if I wasn't taking Celexa(antidepressent). That boggles this poor brain. I wear as little possible. I wear light weight clothes and short sleeves a must. I try to drink more water. I have a ceiling fan going at night, plus another fan that blows on me. I'm just starting to have the night sweats are starting to ease a little but I'm at about 20+ a day tho. If you find something that helps please let me know.

Janie
  • sdukowitz
    sdukowitz Member Posts: 250
    Options
    I am having terrible time at
    I am having terrible time at nights with tamoxifin also ... wake up soaking wet with sweat I dont have them as much in daytimebut wear a light tank top under everytthing and jusr keep changing that if i have to at work i keepa gel icepak bythe bed and apply it to back if neck at night if needed its the pits but i am ginna try to stay on for 6 months to see if it gets worse ive been on tamoxifinsince Dec 2011 fan on low at night cotton sheets hope something will bring you relief soon! Sue D.
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    sdukowitz said:

I am having terrible time at
    I am having terrible time at nights with tamoxifin also ... wake up soaking wet with sweat I dont have them as much in daytimebut wear a light tank top under everytthing and jusr keep changing that if i have to at work i keepa gel icepak bythe bed and apply it to back if neck at night if needed its the pits but i am ginna try to stay on for 6 months to see if it gets worse ive been on tamoxifinsince Dec 2011 fan on low at night cotton sheets hope something will bring you relief soon! Sue D.

I feel for you Dorene. I
    I feel for you Dorene. I have had terrible night sweats for years. The hot flashes during the day have just about stopped. Fans are a good way to relieve them and light clothing or layers because you need to take them off quickly when "they" hit. I would say that they are the worst thing for me personally because I never get a full night's sleep. I don't have any good answers for you, except maybe hang in there like I do, and keep hoping they will pass.
    Best of luck from another "soaker"
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Hi Dorene
    I have had hot flashes since having a total hysterectomy at 30, and honestly the night sweats started about the time I started getting a period. They got worse with chemo, and the week that I get the Xgeva shot.

Two funny stories. First time was when my father died. We stayed at my grandparents in Wisconsin. My sister and I slept on the sun porch. I woke up to 2 uncles laughing (I was 17), it was August, humid and I had no fan. I stripped down in the middle of the night. They were teasing me that they couldn't tell if it was me or my brother (I was very flat chested)!

A few years ago, I went on a girls weekend and we shared rooms. I forgot to tell them I get night sweats and strip sometimes. They all got a kick out of it. Now that they are getting hot flashes with menopause, they understand!

But the fan does the most for me.

Good luck.
    Carol
  • jne66
    jne66 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    My doctor put me on
    My doctor put me on gabapentin(neurotin) and effexor (venaflaxin) what a difference! Still have hot flashes but more bearable and greatly reduced. I was er positive also. There's no need to suffer . I'm lucky my onc is a women and my nurse pea roomer is a breast cancer survivor. There are alternatives. Find one that works for you. Lots of luck Jne
  • jne66
    jne66 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Sometimes I hate spell check
    Sometimes I hate spell check nurse pea roomer should have been nurse practioner Lol !
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

HotFlash
    Dorene... I feel for you. I remember going through night sweats when I was on chemo. The doctor didn't offer any suggestions for me too. If it's any consolation, they do decrease when off the heavy drugs. I am on Tamoxifen and I still get them. But the intensity has decreased, what a relief.

Hang in there.

I am so sorry Dorene. I
    I am so sorry Dorene. I hope that they start decreasing very quickly for you.

Hugs, Kylez
  • DebbyB
    DebbyB Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Peppermint Oil
    A friend gave me a great tip. A couple drops of peppermint oil on the back of your neck. It helps and you smell good. It's a win-win. :)
  • Jobi
    Options
    DebbyB said:

Peppermint Oil
    A friend gave me a great tip. A couple drops of peppermint oil on the back of your neck. It helps and you smell good. It's a win-win. :)

Thanks!
    Thanks everyone! I have been trying some of the things you have suggested! I appreciate all the tips!

Dorene
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Jobi said:

Thanks!
    Thanks everyone! I have been trying some of the things you have suggested! I appreciate all the tips!

Dorene

I hope some of the tips help
    I hope some of the tips help you Dorene! Let us know if anything works. Isn't there something that starts with an E that some take. I can't think of it right now.

Hugs, Jan