Herbal Treatments for Menopause Symtoms

Options
Mariannemm
Mariannemm Member Posts: 136
Please let me know if you are taking herbs for your menopause symtoms. I can't take effixor and there is so much information to go through to figure out what herbs work. My cancer was estrogen positive so I know I have to be careful and I know I need to clear it with my doctor first. But he really isn't any help in figuring this out. So I thought I would talk to you all and see what you suggest and then talk to him. Thank you so much!
Marianne

Comments

• Penny67
    Penny67 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Supplements
    My cancer was very hormonally driven so I will not take any supplements. There is a great site on Memorial Sloan Kettering's cancer site devoted strictly to herbs and supplements. When I looked on there, I was shocked at how many supplements/herbs have a warning for estrogen driven cancers. Before my cancer, I took many vitamins and supplements and now I am trying to get everything I need from the foods I eat.
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    Options
    Penny67 said:

Supplements
    My cancer was very hormonally driven so I will not take any supplements. There is a great site on Memorial Sloan Kettering's cancer site devoted strictly to herbs and supplements. When I looked on there, I was shocked at how many supplements/herbs have a warning for estrogen driven cancers. Before my cancer, I took many vitamins and supplements and now I am trying to get everything I need from the foods I eat.

I'm with you
    It is surprising, I don't take anything but what I get from my foods, and even then mostly organic if affordable, Spring time planting my garden, I do know whats in what I grow, alot of TLC:-)
    Hugs Karie
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    weazer said:

I'm with you
    It is surprising, I don't take anything but what I get from my foods, and even then mostly organic if affordable, Spring time planting my garden, I do know whats in what I grow, alot of TLC:-)
    Hugs Karie

no herbal supplements for me
    My cancer was estrogen positive, so no herbal supplements for me at all--no soy, either!
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    I am unable to take Effexor,
    I am unable to take Effexor, so I take Evening Primrose Oil and Vitamin E and Black Cohosh. Black Cohosh has been approved by my doctors for my particular situation, but may not be appropriate for other estrogen positive cancers. I looked at the website from Memorial Sloan Kettering and some Evening Primrose Oil supplements MAY have phyloestorgenic properties, we need to check the bottles or brand names. However, I did not see any estrogen risk factors with Vitamin E.

You could ask your doctors if there is anything you can take.
  • Mariannemm
    Mariannemm Member Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanks....
    I have left a message for my doctor. I guess in the end I know I will just have to deal with it! :-(