Proton Therapy

Options
JJR
JJR Member Posts: 2
Wondering if anyone has received proton therapy for head and neck cancer. Husband diagnosed with adenoid cystic cancer removed parotid gland, facial nerve and ear cannel. Concerned about side affects of other radiations and read that proton therapy would have less side affects.

Comments

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    That's the word on proton radiation
    however, it hasn't been well studied in Head and Neck cancer, which is why you dont find a whole bunch of articles when you do a google search. So you are looking at therapy that is, in theory, efficacious, and in theory, perhaps fraught with less side effects. But you are also looking at therapy that hasn't made the main stream yet, and won't for a while.

Pat
  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

That's the word on proton radiation
    however, it hasn't been well studied in Head and Neck cancer, which is why you dont find a whole bunch of articles when you do a google search. So you are looking at therapy that is, in theory, efficacious, and in theory, perhaps fraught with less side effects. But you are also looking at therapy that hasn't made the main stream yet, and won't for a while.

Pat

Loma Linda University Medical Center
    advertises here in Chicago on the radio all the time. They have several years experience and thousands of patients with history on proton. A quick look on their website, (typed proton in their search box) and I saw that they (only?) use it on brain, lung, and prostrate. I'm sure you could email someone there or just call and ask? I have also heard central dupage County Hospital in Illinois start advertising proton. Perhaps they can answer some questions.
  • jtl
    jtl Member Posts: 456
    Options
    I considered it but only
    I considered it but only briefly. My rad onc is employed by a very large group, something on the order of 100+ offices. He said it looks promising, but like Pat said too new to judge. I chose TomoTherapy which is a newer version of IMRT sometimes referred to as IGRT but with the ability to spare things like the salivary glands and other tissue that should not be radiated. At 5 months post I have my saliva and taste pretty much back to pre rad levels. First PET scan was also good as have been my physical exams. Can't ask for more than that at this point in time so I am a Tomo/IGRT proponent. I also hope it helps me avoid osteroradionecrosis, but it is too soon to tell.
    John
  • GingerV
    GingerV Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Proton Therapy for Adenoid Cystic Cancer
    Yes...proton therapy can be used to treat these. I know of someone who was treated at the IU Health Proton Therapy Center in Bloomington, IN. You should look into it. It's at least worth making a call to see if your husband can be treated with protons.
  • GingerV
    GingerV Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Proton Therapy for Adenoid Cystic Cancer
    Yes...proton therapy can be used to treat these. I know of someone who was treated at the IU Health Proton Therapy Center in Bloomington, IN. You should look into it. It's at least worth making a call to see if your husband can be treated with protons.
  • RogerRN43
    RogerRN43 Member Posts: 185
    Options
    I've always wondered...
    As beams become more precise, do they miss or are they less effective for microscopic cells outside the targeted area?
    I understand quality of life and sparing healthy tissue but what if there is invasion in said tissue that has not been picked up in a scan?

It's similar to the concept of radiating the other side with conventional radiation at a lower dose even though there is no evidence of lymph involvement there. Survival stats are higher than unilateral treatment.

I don't know, is proton therapy done only on one side?
  • jtl
    jtl Member Posts: 456
    Options
    RogerRN43 said:

I've always wondered...
    As beams become more precise, do they miss or are they less effective for microscopic cells outside the targeted area?
    I understand quality of life and sparing healthy tissue but what if there is invasion in said tissue that has not been picked up in a scan?

It's similar to the concept of radiating the other side with conventional radiation at a lower dose even though there is no evidence of lymph involvement there. Survival stats are higher than unilateral treatment.

I don't know, is proton therapy done only on one side?

Good point.

Good point.