CEA levels. New to chat room.

k_p_2
k_p_2 Member Posts: 3
Has anyones CEA risen without taking Chemo or radiation? I'm a year out being diagnosed and surgery and my CEA's have never elevated until this time. Should I be concerned?

Comments

• thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Tests
    After my first surgery I was told everything is great. My CEA started to change 3 years later. (Mine went from 3-4 to 1125) I would definitely ask your Onc what tests should be done to confirm or deny additional issues.

Best Always, mike
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    CEA
    Need More Information. What stage are you?
    CEA can fluctuate for any number of reasons. Check with your Onc...
    -phil

I wish I had $1 for every CEA question that's posted...
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    PhillieG said:

CEA
    Need More Information. What stage are you?
    CEA can fluctuate for any number of reasons. Check with your Onc...
    -phil

I wish I had $1 for every CEA question that's posted...

$$$$
    Tossing Phil a cyber-buck.

Tina
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    CEA question:
    Should you be concerned, maybe yes and maybe no. What kind of numbers are we talking about? What stage is your cancer? It appears you are saying you are one year out from treatment(s) and now your CEA is rising? Guess just need a little more info.

Oh, Welcome to the Board!!

Tina
  • Dyanclark
    Dyanclark Member Posts: 296
    CEA
    CEA numbers will make you crazy but when they rise something is usually going on. Dont let the Dr. put you off.
  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    CEA has never been an
    CEA has never been an indicator for me. Mine has always been around 1 evan when there was visible cancer in me.
  • k_p_2
    geotina said:

CEA question:
    Should you be concerned, maybe yes and maybe no. What kind of numbers are we talking about? What stage is your cancer? It appears you are saying you are one year out from treatment(s) and now your CEA is rising? Guess just need a little more info.

Oh, Welcome to the Board!!

Tina

CEA
    My numbers have always stayed at 2.0 for the past year now it's 2.6. I know it's still within normal range but just concerning. I worked in the medical and I think I know the answer, but questioing my knowledge.
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    k_p_2 said:

CEA
    My numbers have always stayed at 2.0 for the past year now it's 2.6. I know it's still within normal range but just concerning. I worked in the medical and I think I know the answer, but questioing my knowledge.

On the same day
    On the same day, CEA can fluctuate within .5, so small fluctuations don't mean anything. Some people with CRC have CEA in the 1,000. I know if "sounds" like a big jump from 2.0 to 2.6, but really it is not. Any number within the normal range is ok. The concern would be if at your next check it is over 3. At that point they would still probably wait a couple of weeks and re-check. If it was still up over 3, or trending even higher, then most likely a scan would be ordered to see if you have something going on.
  • k_p_2

On the same day
    On the same day, CEA can fluctuate within .5, so small fluctuations don't mean anything. Some people with CRC have CEA in the 1,000. I know if "sounds" like a big jump from 2.0 to 2.6, but really it is not. Any number within the normal range is ok. The concern would be if at your next check it is over 3. At that point they would still probably wait a couple of weeks and re-check. If it was still up over 3, or trending even higher, then most likely a scan would be ordered to see if you have something going on.

Thank you!

Thank you!