Options
2»

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Barb A said:

Different reconstruction - no expanders
    I had DCIS and due to the widespread area, I had a mastectomy with immediate tram-flap reconstruction. This was one breast only. The surgeries were painful for the first couple of weeks, but got better as time progressed. I had a nice flat stomach and the reconstructed breast looked ok.

I had a second cancer in the reconstructed breast, had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. The breast is now smaller than the other, so I wear a prosthsis to make up the difference. I could have had further surgery to even them out, but chose not to.

Do a lot of research into your various options, get second opinions and do what you feel is best for you. Good luck.

Barb A

Welcoming you also to the
    Welcoming you also to the club no one wants to join. Listen to your doctors advice, get all of the information that you can and do what is best for just you!

I had a lumpectomy, which I am so very thankful that I could, followed with rad treatments.

Good luck and sending prayers too,

Leeza
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

Welcome
    Welcome to the site. Did not have DCIS but plenty here did. You will get the support you need.

I wish I could give you
    I wish I could give you answers but I had a lumpectomy. I wish you all the best and hope that you can make your decision soon.

Hugs, Angie
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    I had a choice and chose a
    I had a choice and chose a bilateral bit my insurance at the time would only do one. Then had reconsfruction on both although it would have been easier to reconstruct if boh were removed. But I never regretted the decision. There was some pain at first but no different than any other surgery. My goal was to live and the surgeon recommended a bilaferal after not getting clear margins on the biopsy. I then had chemo and 8 1/2 years clear. It did recur with mets to the bones, skin, and now liver but I have had over 10 years since initial diagnosis. I would talk to your surgeon, wih 3 areas affected, she/he will know what is best for you.

I wish you the best with whatever decision you make.

Just remember that whatever decision you make is the best decision for you.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    I had a choice and chose a bilateral bit my insurance at the time would only do one. Then had reconsfruction on both although it would have been easier to reconstruct if boh were removed. But I never regretted the decision. There was some pain at first but no different than any other surgery. My goal was to live and the surgeon recommended a bilaferal after not getting clear margins on the biopsy. I then had chemo and 8 1/2 years clear. It did recur with mets to the bones, skin, and now liver but I have had over 10 years since initial diagnosis. I would talk to your surgeon, wih 3 areas affected, she/he will know what is best for you.

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    camul said:

Just wondering if you had
    Just wondering if you had made a choice and how you're doing now.

Hugs and good luck,

Kylez
  • kimbie66
    kimbie66 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    mastectomy
    Just had double mastectomy with tissue expanders on 3/27/12 and I feel great. Of course there was pain, but not too bad and I was up and going out to dinner and shopping before the end of the first week. There are limits to how much I can do in a day or I suffer pain in the chest muscles, but honestly not nearly as bad as I anticipated. Reconstruction is such a personal decision. I am 45 and divorced and am not ready to give up feeling and looking sexy so I opted for it. No regrets so far. Good luck to you!!