Liver biopsy...Pain?

ellamenno
ellamenno Member Posts: 142 Member
I hope someone here can help to answer my question. I am scheduled for a liver biopsy...is the procedure painful and what about recovery? I am very nervous about this and just wish to know what to expect.

Peace, Laurie

Comments

• march00
    march00 Member Posts: 20
    pain
    It wasnt bad at all!
    Nick
  • ellamenno
    ellamenno Member Posts: 142 Member
    march00 said:

pain
    It wasnt bad at all!
    Nick

liver biopsy
    Thanks Nick! Can you tell me anything about the procedure? Will I be able to go back to work right after or is there a certain amount of time needed for recuperation? Will I be sore?

Thanks, Laurie
  • info_at_RCT
    info_at_RCT Member Posts: 2
    ellamenno said:

liver biopsy
    Thanks Nick! Can you tell me anything about the procedure? Will I be able to go back to work right after or is there a certain amount of time needed for recuperation? Will I be sore?

Thanks, Laurie

Dear Laurie,

I am an employee at a non-profit organization that provides reliable information on cancer therapies and cancer types. If you would like to learn more about the procedures for liver cancer per stage, I recommend you this Guide for Patients with Liver Cancer:
    http://www.reliablecancertherapies.com/cancers/liver-cancer
    In it you will also find more info on liver biopsies (at the end of the "Diagnosis" tab).

I hope this information will be useful to you.
    I wish you all the best and hope you'll get better soon.

Jessica
  • harrietpeter
    harrietpeter Member Posts: 6

Dear Laurie,

I am an employee at a non-profit organization that provides reliable information on cancer therapies and cancer types. If you would like to learn more about the procedures for liver cancer per stage, I recommend you this Guide for Patients with Liver Cancer:
    http://www.reliablecancertherapies.com/cancers/liver-cancer
    In it you will also find more info on liver biopsies (at the end of the "Diagnosis" tab).

I hope this information will be useful to you.
    I wish you all the best and hope you'll get better soon.

Jessica

Procedure for liver biopsy as described by a doctor
    Just as a follow up to this piece of information! Here's how one doctor describes the liver biopsy procedure and how painful to expect it to be (not painful! but uncomfortable, yes) : https://www.healthtap.com/topics/liver-biopsy-painful
  • bt1943
    bt1943 Member Posts: 6
    liver biopsy
    My 40 yo son had a liver biopsy on Wed. this week
    and did fine. He has multiple liver tumors. Said
    he only felt a little pain when they injected lidocain
    to deaden area. Procedure was not painful and he was up
    and feeling good the next day. I'll be praying for you.
    My son had brain surgery last June, and the tumors
    matasticised in the liver/stomach. Please pray for Joey.
  • Folks24
    Folks24 Member Posts: 106
    bt1943 said:

liver biopsy
    My 40 yo son had a liver biopsy on Wed. this week
    and did fine. He has multiple liver tumors. Said
    he only felt a little pain when they injected lidocain
    to deaden area. Procedure was not painful and he was up
    and feeling good the next day. I'll be praying for you.
    My son had brain surgery last June, and the tumors
    matasticised in the liver/stomach. Please pray for Joey.

I had a liver biopsy back on
    I had a liver biopsy back on April 20th. The worse part for me was holding my arms over my head and holding my breath. I drove back home fine.

I have to say the afterwards was harder. I guess everyone is different but ask them about getting a few pain pills or get some from you own dr. I'm a little gal 105 lbs. I got stuck extra times and mine must have went through muscle as next day pm I got bad muscle spasms and was on hydrocone for a 1-1/2 days. I still have a muscle pulling sensation and a little pain when I get to the top of a breath, yawn or sneeze. So for me, the muscle there is taking awhile to get back to normal. Remember though, everyone is different.
  • hopefulhusband
    hopefulhusband Member Posts: 7
    sorry repllied only now
    Hi. I was scanning only yesterday again to at least help out some of the caregivers or even patients in this network as part of my contribution. My wife went through two biopsies: a fine needle, later a core biopsy. Both were ok and did not cause her too much pain or discomfort. Of course she did not have to drive as we have drivers and sufficient number of help back in our home country. I hope the biopsy turned out negative for any malignancy. Post your request if you should need any more info. Good luck. Tony