“Is the Immune System Really the Answer to Fighting Cancer?”

1235»

Comments

• RobinKaye
    RobinKaye Member Posts: 93
    barbebarb said:

Good post
    We are all doing the best we can. These posts affirm this point.

My daughter asked me how can you be Stage IV when you never get a cold or the flu - who knows!

I am trying to eat as healthy as I can and enjoy exercising so that helps with my motivation and gives me some peace of mind.

It is frustrating with each scan and treatment plan change, emotionally, as well as physically.
    Will I reach NED again? I recently had a brain tumo removed and one -time str. Death is on my mind constantly.
    I feel like all my efforts went to the wayside and cancer is beating me to the finish line.
    It is rare and so systemic. I start folfiri next week.

Trying to live each day to the fullest and blend cancer life is challenging but that's how it is.

Thank you for sharing your information.

Barb.

Getting a cold might be a good thing...

Last year there was a post about colds, cancer and the immune system.  The theory being that people who don't get colds actually

have a weak immune system.  The symptoms you get from a cold (sneezing, runny nose) are immune responses to the cold virus.

"There’s another intriguing paradox here. Studies suggest that about one in four people who get infected with a cold virus don’t get sick. The virus gets into their bodies, and eventually they produce antibodies to it, but they don’t experience symptoms. It may be that people like this are not making the normal amounts of inflammatory agents.

It seems counterintuitive, but there it is: People with more active immune systems may be especially prone to cold symptoms. So getting a cold may be a positive sign that your biochemical defenses are working normally — a glass-half-full view of getting the sniffles."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/opinion/05ackerman.html?_r=0

Anyway, don't know if it's true but it does make sense.  For years my husband used to laugh when I caught every cold a kid came home with from school - that might be an exaggeration.  He always boasted how he never caught a cold and how it had been so many years that he had had a cold he couldn't even remember.  

Robin

• manwithnoname
    manwithnoname Member Posts: 402
    RobinKaye said:

Getting a cold might be a good thing...

Last year there was a post about colds, cancer and the immune system.  The theory being that people who don't get colds actually

have a weak immune system.  The symptoms you get from a cold (sneezing, runny nose) are immune responses to the cold virus.

"There’s another intriguing paradox here. Studies suggest that about one in four people who get infected with a cold virus don’t get sick. The virus gets into their bodies, and eventually they produce antibodies to it, but they don’t experience symptoms. It may be that people like this are not making the normal amounts of inflammatory agents.

It seems counterintuitive, but there it is: People with more active immune systems may be especially prone to cold symptoms. So getting a cold may be a positive sign that your biochemical defenses are working normally — a glass-half-full view of getting the sniffles."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/opinion/05ackerman.html?_r=0

Anyway, don't know if it's true but it does make sense.  For years my husband used to laugh when I caught every cold a kid came home with from school - that might be an exaggeration.  He always boasted how he never caught a cold and how it had been so many years that he had had a cold he couldn't even remember.  

Robin

There maybe something

to that, the first time our son was sick it was a brain tumor.