2»

Comments

• kimberly sue 63
    kimberly sue 63 Member Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Marnel said:

Feeling great...
    Hi Tracey...

My pathology came back as clear cell 1C-3 so I start carbo/taxol on April 13th and will have 6 treatments 3 weeks apart. That seems to be the standard for ovarian and breast cancer. I had the port installed last week. Clear cell isn't the best news but I was pretty happy as it could have been so much worse. Hope you are doing well!
    Marnel

ports
    does everyone get a port to do chemo? Kim
  • twillits
    twillits Member Posts: 32
    Options

ports

Not sure if everyone does,
    Not sure if everyone does, but I am glad I did. It makes it so much easier for everything. No more struggling to find a vein to poke, and put up with the bruising.
    I think it's the way to go!
  • twillits
    twillits Member Posts: 32
    Options

working
    You are blessed not to have to mess with an employer. I swear they act like you have a cold and cant understand why you cannot come back!. I have been told I could get the disability insurance. I am one of those people, paperwork blows my mind, especially government double talk and all that. But with the help of a friend who has been through it, I think I am headed in that direction. Like you, my husband and I were brining in a lot of play money. But that's not what life is about and we could live with so much less. He is a little more materialistic than I am so I have to kinda change his way of thinking. And I did not even think about my retirement. I just turned 56. I will look into that as well. When you get this diagnosis it just feels like the bottom of the floor breaks away and you are in free fall mode for a while. I need to settle down and think.

Totally agree with you. I
    Totally agree with you. I am going thru that right now. I was suppose to go back to work this week. Now I have to have the Dr. fill out another form saying I am not ready to go back to work. But I am not sure he will. I also got the forms for disability and have to have him fill it out, and I am thinking he won't fill it out so that it would state I am incapable of working. Which means I won't get the disability, and not have the income. We could make it with just my husbands, but then now without the health insurance for me, we either have to pay the higher premium of Cobra, or have no insurance, and pay the medical bills. I had my own insurance thru my employer. I can't get on my husband's until Oct. when they have the open enrollment. Our state offers med. insurance, but you have to have had no insurance for 4 months. Grrr!!! What do you do???!!!! I just turned 50 so I am a ways off retirement. Guess I will just keep buying lottery tickets and maybe I'll win!!!
  • undertreatment2012
    undertreatment2012 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    twillits said:

Totally agree with you. I
    Totally agree with you. I am going thru that right now. I was suppose to go back to work this week. Now I have to have the Dr. fill out another form saying I am not ready to go back to work. But I am not sure he will. I also got the forms for disability and have to have him fill it out, and I am thinking he won't fill it out so that it would state I am incapable of working. Which means I won't get the disability, and not have the income. We could make it with just my husbands, but then now without the health insurance for me, we either have to pay the higher premium of Cobra, or have no insurance, and pay the medical bills. I had my own insurance thru my employer. I can't get on my husband's until Oct. when they have the open enrollment. Our state offers med. insurance, but you have to have had no insurance for 4 months. Grrr!!! What do you do???!!!! I just turned 50 so I am a ways off retirement. Guess I will just keep buying lottery tickets and maybe I'll win!!!

working
    See, I know at some point my Dr will also say I can work, perfectly capable. What a worry. And he wont fill out the paperwork anymore. How unfair is that!!! They will never understand. SO, in your opinion, do you think I should start it now, while I am incapable and he is understanding? or wait, that is my quandry. We cant seem to get an answer on my husbands insurance but I think, at least in Indiana if I have a life changing situation they must pick me up. If they would I would apply for disability today. Each day is ticking off for things to fall into place. we just should not have to go through this.
  • undertreatment2012
    Options

ports

port
    pretty sure if you dont at the beginning you will HAVE to before it's over. It has been a total blessing to have it. You get so sick of being stuck!, with it, one poke like a sting for a nano second and they can draw your blood, do your chemo. Your veins normally will not hold up. I would recommend a port. O one last note, At least in Indiana the law or rule is ONLY an RN can access your port.Not even an MD is allowed to here, so certainly not a phlebotomist. Just FYI to be careful on that note
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Marnel said:

Hair Loss
    I start chemo next week and my husband is bald so we are joking that nobody will be able to tell us apart...especially since I've lost so much weight that my boobs are gone. My question to you ladies is...does your pubic hair fall out too? A free Brazilian?

Free brazilian
    and you don't have to shave your legs! The worst for me was losing my eyebrows and eyelashes. Good news is that you'll be amazed at how fast they come back!
    ((( HUGS ))) Maria
  • Marnel
    Marnel Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Party Time
    My family and I have decided to have a going away party for my hair. My daughter wants to see me with a mohawk first. We are just gonna laugh and have fun with it.
  • lulu1010
    lulu1010 Member Posts: 367
    Options
    Marnel said:

Party Time
    My family and I have decided to have a going away party for my hair. My daughter wants to see me with a mohawk first. We are just gonna laugh and have fun with it.

disability insurance
    Just wanted to mention that it is my understanding that there is a Compassionate Allowance rule that gives automatic and speedier processing of disability claims by people with certain diagnosis. Ovarian cancer is one of these. My friend was diagnosed Stage IIIc in December and was approved for disability in March. She used the computer for her application and no lawyer and they asked no questions. That is your money you have been paying into for all these years. I wish I had filed right away. Instead I worked per diem (a few hours here and there) for the last 18 mos.. Just too hard to say I will be there and then not feel like it. I am in the process of applying for disabiliy now but I have to explain why I was working on and off. Dr says he has no problems filling out the paperwork. I am on chemo but not my deathbed..Off to Hawaii next week!
  • karen1951
    karen1951 Member Posts: 103
    Options
    lulu1010 said:

disability insurance
    Just wanted to mention that it is my understanding that there is a Compassionate Allowance rule that gives automatic and speedier processing of disability claims by people with certain diagnosis. Ovarian cancer is one of these. My friend was diagnosed Stage IIIc in December and was approved for disability in March. She used the computer for her application and no lawyer and they asked no questions. That is your money you have been paying into for all these years. I wish I had filed right away. Instead I worked per diem (a few hours here and there) for the last 18 mos.. Just too hard to say I will be there and then not feel like it. I am in the process of applying for disabiliy now but I have to explain why I was working on and off. Dr says he has no problems filling out the paperwork. I am on chemo but not my deathbed..Off to Hawaii next week!

have a GREAT time in hawaii
    have a GREAT time in hawaii !!!!! xoxox karen
  • undertreatment2012
    Options
    lulu1010 said:

disability insurance

disability
    hooray for Hawaii!!! Like you, I am in treatment but not on my deathbed. however, some days it just hits me I am too tired to think, or I suddenly have no appetite. I will look into this and thank you so much again!!!!