Any suggestions on how I can prepare for a double mastectomy?

Options
2»

Comments

• joanna
    joanna Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Megan M said:

Shhhh..don't let anyone else
    Shhhh..don't let anyone else know that the pink sisters are open and caring. LOL We've all been there and done it or are doing it.

Dr Susan Love's book is excellent and I think you will love it.

Best of luck to you!

Hugs, Megan

dear pink sisters...my post mastectomy update
    Dear Pink Sisters, I promised to update you after my bilateral mastectomy. I had it as scheduled on May 10th. I had the best doctor in the world and a wonderful treatment team. The surgery took about 3hours and it was a success. I am doing my arm exercises and walking. I take tylenol when chest feels sore. I don't take oxycontin since tylenol is managing pain well. I still have two drainage tubes hanging out of body, but should get it removed in a week. Even though a mammogram saved my life, I am so pleased that I can now say - No more mammograms for me! Yeah!! I read many posts from pink sisters and want to thank you all for your guidance on how to prepare for a mastectomy or what to expect. THANK YOU! Peace to you and yours, Joanna
  • snickerdoodle
    snickerdoodle Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Scheduled for bilateral mastectomy in 10 days
    I am having more second thoughts about reconstruction. I feel like the doctors want me to have it and many friends are almost saying what for? I am very flat chested and have worn very padded bras all my life. I have a lovely body and putting in expanders etc and going through all of that at 66 years old hardly makes a drop of sense. I had DCIS in situ lumpectomy w no clear margins; right breast and decided to have both removed so i am not looking down at one sad breast. Is that crazy? Any thoughts would be helpful. I live alone and 3 grown kids who will help at first but not like helping me get out of bed and dress after day 4 probably to be realistic. Will I have to sit in a chair to sleep for a week or more?
  • snickerdoodle
    snickerdoodle Member Posts: 19
    Options
    colzee said:

Joanna,
    I had bilateral

Joanna,
    I had bilateral mastectomies in June 2008 w/ reconstruction. My advice in preparation would be to build up your immune system & get as healthy & strong as possible. I juiced (carrots, kale, spinach, apples...) & took liquid vitamins. My fear was getting an infection & having problems w/ my expander implants. I did great (no infection), but was in a lot of pain from the reconstruction. From what I have been told the mastectomies themselves aren't so painful, because they are basically removing tissue, but lifting the muscles in the chest wall for the expanders is very painful. I don't regret my choice though. I will tell you to keep those arms moving because I developed bilateral frozen shoulders, & that was incredibly painful. I couldn't move my arms for months & had to leave my job as a hairdresser for almost 2 years. I was never warned & when I called the Drs looking for answers, they all said they didn't know what was wrong w/ me. I found the problem myself while reading Dr. Susan Love's breast cancer book (very informative). Also found Crazy, Sexy Cancer tips to be very informative (great eating, exercise & mental advice). Hang tough & we're all here for you! I could go on & on w/ helpful advice, so feel free to contact me if you want.

all alone
    3 of my college friends are going through what I am on varying levels; one had reconstruction and had them both removed. I am so flat chested and feel like the change will be there but hopefully i will get to love that new body as I do my current one. I do not want to have reconstruction at 66; it seems not smart when I could probably actually still wear the WACOAL heavily padded bras I already wear and don't fill in the least. I feel alone because ultimately it is my decision and I do not know which one to make. I feel like all the doctors want me to do the reconstruction and make me feel I won't be happy unless I do. Thank you for your comments. It sounds like stuff I really do not need to go through at 66 years old.
  • joanna
    joanna Member Posts: 15
    Options

Scheduled for bilateral mastectomy in 10 days
    I am having more second thoughts about reconstruction. I feel like the doctors want me to have it and many friends are almost saying what for? I am very flat chested and have worn very padded bras all my life. I have a lovely body and putting in expanders etc and going through all of that at 66 years old hardly makes a drop of sense. I had DCIS in situ lumpectomy w no clear margins; right breast and decided to have both removed so i am not looking down at one sad breast. Is that crazy? Any thoughts would be helpful. I live alone and 3 grown kids who will help at first but not like helping me get out of bed and dress after day 4 probably to be realistic. Will I have to sit in a chair to sleep for a week or more?

Hey Snickerdoodle
    Hi Snickerdoodle, I understand your dilemma regarding reconstruction. I found it to be a personal choice for me. Many people encouraged me to get it done, even my doctor told me that I should get “perky breasts” after the bilateral mastectomy. Perhaps they were telling me this thinking breasts would make me feel physically and emotionally well. Since I am somewhat of an anxious person, fearing that the implants would leak inside of me, fearing that I might not have insurance when that happens, I opted not to get reconstruction done. I can’t tell you what you should do, just sharing my personal experience. I recommend you go with your heart. As for sleeping while sitting up, I recommend sleeping in either a recliner or you can prop yourself up with a lot of pillows in your bed or couch. My preference was sleeping on a couch with pillows to keep me at about a 45 degree angle. A couple of times I laid down when I really wanted to stretch out, but it was a struggle getting out of bed. What made it difficult to get up for me was sore muscles and I had JP drains coming out of my body on both sides. After the JP tubes were removed [for some that can be one week to two weeks], I would sleep in bed laying down. Feel free to ask anymore questions and let us know how your surgery goes. I wish you luck and will be sending good thoughts your way on the day of your surgery. Take it easy, Joanna