Ready for the Fight?

Options

Comments

• ditto1
    ditto1 Member Posts: 660
    Options

I feel the same way , Ditto...
    I open this forum first thing every morning when I get up to get a "power dose" of inspiration...even if nobody has posted yet, I reread the posts that are here, and get re-energized. I'm so grateful I found this board the day they told me I had cancer...and I'm glad you did too.

p

The sun is shining here, too!! :)

Good Morning P51 and others
    P51 I was reading your comments even before I joined the Forum, I guess we are the Rookies on the H&NC team. We need to know others who have walked this path. Knowledge is Power. So to have these new friends come out and take the time to share with us their experience and to give us hope is a God Send.
    I now know we are going to have to get ready for Training Camp and then go thru the Season, there will be bumps and bruises, but looking forward to Raising the "Beat Cancer Trophy" at the end of the Season. (Apologize for all the Football analogies) Thanks to all who shared their thoughts.
  • ditto1
    Options

Listen to Kent...
    I reread his posts over and over and over...!!

p

Not a good day
    As I started accepting my new reality, I ventured out to learn more about the MASK for radiation treatment. When I saw it would be bolted down, I just FREAKED, I found another Subject relating to the MASK on this forum, will go there for hope and facts and since some of you commented there to save you from repeating to me what that site already has. Thanks.
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    ditto1 said:

Not a good day
    As I started accepting my new reality, I ventured out to learn more about the MASK for radiation treatment. When I saw it would be bolted down, I just FREAKED, I found another Subject relating to the MASK on this forum, will go there for hope and facts and since some of you commented there to save you from repeating to me what that site already has. Thanks.

Lots of people here used
    anti-axiety meds or Atavan at least in the beginning of their rad treatments. One of the best lessons that is drilling into my head here is....you don't get a medal for trying to get thru treatments without the aid of anything...and that is ANYTHING you need to make it a doable thing.

Use the superthread for "Getting Ready for Radiation"...read what others have said...I can tell ya, I'm not going to wait for the Dr.'s to ask if I need something, I'm going to be right there telling them...."I NEED THIS"....

We're going to be ok...I'll be there with you in spirit, and I'll have you with me...we'll hold hands thru this!!

p
  • ditto1
    Options
    ditto1 said:

Not a good day

Day is just a little better.
    Just coming back from reading many blogs on the MASK, some from you folks. I have gone from totally freaking to just mildely freaking for now. Seems most everyone shared the same feelings so I guess it is what it is.. Im in the category of not dealing with bed sheets that are tucked in, so REALLY being bolted down.. I guess I see now what others have said about a new Normal, for things that seem so Abnormal.....WOW, I think it just keeps sinking in this will be a journey. Again God is Good, but not liking this part of his plan.
  • ditto1
    Options

Lots of people here used
    anti-axiety meds or Atavan at least in the beginning of their rad treatments. One of the best lessons that is drilling into my head here is....you don't get a medal for trying to get thru treatments without the aid of anything...and that is ANYTHING you need to make it a doable thing.

Use the superthread for "Getting Ready for Radiation"...read what others have said...I can tell ya, I'm not going to wait for the Dr.'s to ask if I need something, I'm going to be right there telling them...."I NEED THIS"....

We're going to be ok...I'll be there with you in spirit, and I'll have you with me...we'll hold hands thru this!!

p

Thanks p51, yes we will, but
    Thanks p51, yes we will, but I tell you if I had not found these folks and this forum I would not be feeling as confident. But my eyes watered a little just hearing your offer of a hand to hold, Im sure you feel like me that God has given us hundreds of hands to hold and the fact they come running in like the MARINES after just one blog is a Blessing.
    Thanks to all of you.
  • Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options
    fisrpotpe said:

Hell Yes
    when i was told 16 plus years ago I had a 16 year old and 14 year old. All i wanted to do was see them thru high school. now both have 6 year degree's from college, both married, both have children, I am a grandpa three times.

Hell yes it is worth it. When you give up is when cancer takes you down. Don't ever, ever, ever give up.

Welcome to your family of friends and supporters.

Fight the Fight! God is great!

john

Happy anniversary last month John
    16+ years...my how time flies when we are having fun. Family and grandchildren would keep me in the fight if for no other reason.

Denny
  • Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options
    ditto1 said:

Not a good day

Thats why God made drugs ::>)
    You can do it (I did).

Denny
  • phrannie51
    Options
    ditto1 said:

Thanks p51, yes we will, but
    Thanks p51, yes we will, but I tell you if I had not found these folks and this forum I would not be feeling as confident. But my eyes watered a little just hearing your offer of a hand to hold, Im sure you feel like me that God has given us hundreds of hands to hold and the fact they come running in like the MARINES after just one blog is a Blessing.
    Thanks to all of you.

I DO feel the same as you....
    when I come into this forum (this is the first place I come every morning)...I, like you...need to be infused daily with the warmth and knowledge here...I have been SO grateful that many on here...even tho they have finished treatment, gone on with their lives...still come and share their experience, strength and hope...tuck us under their wings, and inspire us to keep moving forward.

We are lucky, ditto...we found this haven right away...

p
  • phrannie51
    Options
    Greend said:

Thats why God made drugs ::>)
    You can do it (I did).

Denny

LOL Denny...
    Good point!! :)
  • phrannie51
    Options
    ditto1 said:

Day is just a little better.
    Just coming back from reading many blogs on the MASK, some from you folks. I have gone from totally freaking to just mildely freaking for now. Seems most everyone shared the same feelings so I guess it is what it is.. Im in the category of not dealing with bed sheets that are tucked in, so REALLY being bolted down.. I guess I see now what others have said about a new Normal, for things that seem so Abnormal.....WOW, I think it just keeps sinking in this will be a journey. Again God is Good, but not liking this part of his plan.

When I got my PET scan....
    they asked me if I was claustraphobic...I said not unless somebody threw a blanket over my head and sat on it. In reading about the mask, and the fact that it's bolted down...I got scared, too..thinking that is darn close to the blanket scenerio. If it's necessary for me to take something, I will do that. I think that after a few treatments, the mind will adjust...I do. The human psyche has an amazing ability to pull in and utilize what is now a new normal. The mask just being the first part of new normals to come.

p
  • tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    Options

LOL Denny...
    Good point!! :)

Better Living Through Chemistry
    That cracked me up Denny! But I don't get what the problem is with the mask. I can see through mine with my left eye but mostly I keep my eyes closed due to the different lights. I go into a meditative state and the next thing you know they are unbolting me.

You want to be bolted down so the radiation doesn't go where it's not supposed to go. And it's not really a bolt, it's more like a clamp. If you wanted you could just reach behind your head and unclasp it. The session only lasts 10-15 minutes depending on what they do. Plus the mask has marks for them to line it up to your CT scan. It's all about putting the radiation where it is supposed to go.

So try not to make a big deal out of the mask. It really is nothing. Take a trank the first day if you wish but after that I doubt if you will need it again. Of course that is just me and not too much bothers me if it is getting rid of my cancer.

Just my 2¢

Tommy
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    DITTO on the MASK...
    BTW, here's a link to the SuperThread;

SuperThread

Speaking of Marines, myself and a few on here were actually in the Marines, LOL...so get used to us being here for you.

As for the mask, here are a few of my tips;

Xanax
    or similar if needed...like you, I don't even like my feet tucked in. So I was dreading the mask for several months before actually having to go through it everyday. Just the fitting freaked me out. My chemo md always advised me that if I had any problems to let her know, she'd have something for it, and she always did. Xanax worked great to take the edge off, and within 5 days I no longer needed that little help.

Music
    Most places have a CD player and will let you bring what helps you get through. I just left my CD there for them, and they'd have it cued up everyday for me. Plus an added benefit...it gave me a reference point of time. I knew within 4-5 songs at most that I'd be done for the day.

Casual Clothing
    I wore loose cotton tank tops, comfy shorts and slip on shoes. Most of the time they had me slip the top off and offered me a warm blanket or sheet to cover.

Water & Fluids
    Stay very well hydrated, I can't stress hydration enough...even when you think you've had plenty, drink a little more. Nothing worse than being dehydrated. Around my 2nd round of chemo I got a little dehydrated..all I wanted to do was sleep because I didn't feel well, the more I slept, the less I drank the sicker I felt.

GroundHog Days
    This time of radiation is like the movie "GroundHog's Day", it's the same thing day, after day, after day, after day.....

Concentrate on you during this time...keep distractions and other non-postive things aside. Get rest, do your treatment, take in your calories, hydrate...., enjoy the normalacy of your free week-ends.

Best,
    John
  • ditto1
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

DITTO on the MASK...
    BTW, here's a link to the SuperThread;

SuperThread

Speaking of Marines, myself and a few on here were actually in the Marines, LOL...so get used to us being here for you.

As for the mask, here are a few of my tips;

Xanax
    or similar if needed...like you, I don't even like my feet tucked in. So I was dreading the mask for several months before actually having to go through it everyday. Just the fitting freaked me out. My chemo md always advised me that if I had any problems to let her know, she'd have something for it, and she always did. Xanax worked great to take the edge off, and within 5 days I no longer needed that little help.

Music
    Most places have a CD player and will let you bring what helps you get through. I just left my CD there for them, and they'd have it cued up everyday for me. Plus an added benefit...it gave me a reference point of time. I knew within 4-5 songs at most that I'd be done for the day.

Casual Clothing
    I wore loose cotton tank tops, comfy shorts and slip on shoes. Most of the time they had me slip the top off and offered me a warm blanket or sheet to cover.

Water & Fluids
    Stay very well hydrated, I can't stress hydration enough...even when you think you've had plenty, drink a little more. Nothing worse than being dehydrated. Around my 2nd round of chemo I got a little dehydrated..all I wanted to do was sleep because I didn't feel well, the more I slept, the less I drank the sicker I felt.

GroundHog Days
    This time of radiation is like the movie "GroundHog's Day", it's the same thing day, after day, after day, after day.....

Concentrate on you during this time...keep distractions and other non-postive things aside. Get rest, do your treatment, take in your calories, hydrate...., enjoy the normalacy of your free week-ends.

Best,
    John

Making a living?
    I guess maybe I should deal with one anxiety at a time, but I will need to return to work at some point after all of this, but not sure what work life would be after H&NC, have some of you resumed working? (Sorry if this question has been answered in other blogs) Thanks S16, cannot go wrong with a few Marines watching our backs....
  • Skiffin16
    Options
    ditto1 said:

Making a living?
    I guess maybe I should deal with one anxiety at a time, but I will need to return to work at some point after all of this, but not sure what work life would be after H&NC, have some of you resumed working? (Sorry if this question has been answered in other blogs) Thanks S16, cannot go wrong with a few Marines watching our backs....

Work
    Many of us have returned to work....

I am an IT person, database modeling... I actually worked through my treatment, though from home.

So yes, many have returned to work, and continue much as the same before treatment, just a little worn around the edges and a bit tarnished.

JG
  • osmotar
    osmotar Member Posts: 1,006
    Options
    ditto1 said:

Making a living?

Working
    I was or am very fortunate with my company , they allowed me to work from home, all they asked was for 4 hours a day...I worked all thru treatment , longer than the 4 hours and continue to do so even after my all my treatments ended on 12-30-2011.
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Its a valid question
    I feel qualified to answer based on the fact I've been through three different treatments. If only the first one counts, the radical neck disection was easy. The radiation didn't cause me to slow down much at all. I ate regular food all the way through, and worked full time throughout. AND, I got 11 years without any additional problems.

My second cancer had this difficult radical resection and reconstruction surgery, complete with a trache and a feeding tube for quite awhile. Then a year later,I got a reccurrancce that has been treated with chemoradiation. I'm only a month out from my radiation this time, and I can already tell you I have a very adequate quality of life. i still need some pain meds from time to time, and I cannot yet eat regular food, but I'm able to do almost anything I chose. Now, what the future has in store, I don't know. But given the symptoms I had back last fall, I would not be here writing this if I had declined treatment, so I guess my answer for this time is "yes" it was worth it.

Pat
  • ditto1
    Options

Its a valid question
    I feel qualified to answer based on the fact I've been through three different treatments. If only the first one counts, the radical neck disection was easy. The radiation didn't cause me to slow down much at all. I ate regular food all the way through, and worked full time throughout. AND, I got 11 years without any additional problems.

My second cancer had this difficult radical resection and reconstruction surgery, complete with a trache and a feeding tube for quite awhile. Then a year later,I got a reccurrancce that has been treated with chemoradiation. I'm only a month out from my radiation this time, and I can already tell you I have a very adequate quality of life. i still need some pain meds from time to time, and I cannot yet eat regular food, but I'm able to do almost anything I chose. Now, what the future has in store, I don't know. But given the symptoms I had back last fall, I would not be here writing this if I had declined treatment, so I guess my answer for this time is "yes" it was worth it.

Pat

Thank you Pat, knowing you
    Thank you Pat, knowing you fought the fight not once but 3 times is a great motivator. AS I may have said before, Im amazed at the human spirit, or maybe just the "CANCER YOUR IN MY WAY PLEASE MOVE" attitude all you folks have shared with me.
  • ditto1
    Options
    osmotar said:

Working
    I was or am very fortunate with my company , they allowed me to work from home, all they asked was for 4 hours a day...I worked all thru treatment , longer than the 4 hours and continue to do so even after my all my treatments ended on 12-30-2011.

Working
    Thank you for your responses on working. Will not have the option to work at home, but sounds like I should be able to resume work, I realize time will tell but again its nice to hear the possibility is there...
  • Skiffin16
    Options
    ditto1 said:

Working
    Thank you for your responses on working. Will not have the option to work at home, but sounds like I should be able to resume work, I realize time will tell but again its nice to hear the possibility is there...

Time
    Time is always a factor, allowing yourself enough time to heal, recvoer and still have strength at the end of the day.

Even on my regime of working primarily from home, it was nearly nine months total before I went back into the office full time.

I fought a lot of fatigue for nearly two years, especially early evening after getting home, a little supper and couch time.

But I've felt much better as far as the endurance the last year or so.

Some on here have a lot more physical jobs, and some of those have went back to work a lot earlier than I have.

JG
  • LeoS2323
    LeoS2323 Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Waiting for the fight
    Hi ditto - glad the good people on here seem to have inspired you and prepared you for your personal fight. I like you have been very recently diagnosed, MEC with at least one lymph node involved and an operation to remove them all on one side of my neck soon.

I'm absolutely ready for the fight - this one life we have is so precious we have to do everything to hold onto it. Personally I have a one and a three year old, the treatments and operations don't scare me, the thought of missing out on them growing up and being a Dad to them is what scares me.

If anything this waiting period is the hardest of all. I was misdiagnosed as having a branchial cyst for 6 months before what ultimately proved to be a met to a lymph node was removed. My operation to remove it was cancelled 3 times for different reasons (none mine) which cost me 3-4 months. Then it took 3 weeks for lab results including second opinion. Even after being diagnosed I have to wait 2 weeks for a scan and my surgeon is on leave so it will be another month from diagnosis to my operation. It's so hard having this in me and nobody doing anything to fix it.

I am desperate to start the fight but feel like time is wasting and it could be costing me, making my picture and outlook different. I can fight MEC, and I can steel myself for the treatments and operations but instead I'm just waiting and feeling helpless.

So ready for the fight? Absolutely - but the medical people here in the UK won't let me start it. They seem determined to give my cancer all the chance it wants to get a head start on me and it's driving me mad! I feel like I'm being held back by my doctors while cancer repeatedly punches me in the face. I don't know what's going on inside but every little ache and pain feels like it making progress. Until I'm fighting I won't feel like I'm on the road to recovery. I feel really positive about this battle but the thing that is killing me is not being able to start it!