Call from Radiation Center

Options
disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
My annual Check up next week! WHEN I finished radation JUNE 2008 I thought done with them for good. Then I rec'd call-I said NO I am done..they said NO YOU are NOT! We still see your for years...hehe

foolish me...thinking out the door and no more appts

Denise3

Comments

• epark
    epark Member Posts: 339
    Options
    I know we see our oncologist
    I know we see our oncologist for years but how long do we see the Rad Dr.?
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    epark said:

I don't
    It has been 1 1/2 years since I finished rads and I have not seen rsd Dr since then. I did not have a very good Dr for rads. I talked with his nurse after I was done she told me as long as I was seeing Onc and not having issues I did not have to see them again. She knew that I did not care for him so that might be why. God Bless
    (((hugs))) Janice
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options

I don't
    It has been 1 1/2 years since I finished rads and I have not seen rsd Dr since then. I did not have a very good Dr for rads. I talked with his nurse after I was done she told me as long as I was seeing Onc and not having issues I did not have to see them again. She knew that I did not care for him so that might be why. God Bless
    (((hugs))) Janice

I don't either.
    After my second round of rads to my hips/pelvic/spine area, I asked her when I was to come back and she said if I had any new areas that my medical onco felt needed to be addressed he would refer me.... so I took that as a no!
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    camul said:

I don't either.
    After my second round of rads to my hips/pelvic/spine area, I asked her when I was to come back and she said if I had any new areas that my medical onco felt needed to be addressed he would refer me.... so I took that as a no!

My rad onc and I decided I had enough
    Denise-

I was so surprised when I finished active treatments and my rad onc said she would see me every 6 months. Why? At the time of my first appointment, she called me and said, "Gee, is see you've just seen DR X Y and Z and have an upcoming appointment with Dr. Q (two cancers, too many followup appointments). You can come in if you want, or we can delay this appointment a few months". I chose to delay. When I finally had that first appointment, she examined the heck out of me as did her fellow and said if I didn't want to see her I didn't have to, but I could call anytime I wanted to see her. I still don't understand why I'd need that additional follow-up so I chose to leave it open. I like her very much but I don't know why I'd want/need to have her medical expertise anymore. Radiation is over. She cooked my boob, it still hurts (tender) and it is what it is.

This is an example of a waste of health care dollars to me in my case. As long as I get examined regularly by someone with the appropriate skills to do it, and have regular imaging, what more do I need? I admit I'm pretty naive about what I need, but geez. Enough is enough.

Suzanne
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    Options
    I hear ya
    I just finished my rad treatments and my RO said "you will seeing me for the rest of your life"

HAHA .. little does he know I am moving south next year. SOrry DOC!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    MsGebby said:

I hear ya
    I just finished my rad treatments and my RO said "you will seeing me for the rest of your life"

HAHA .. little does he know I am moving south next year. SOrry DOC!

Puzzling......
    I've had radiation 3 times..the last, finished 3 weeks ago, 10 treatments to my brain......during all 3 I saw my rads onc once a week......once each session was over, I had one follow up visit a month later then he released me.....his job was done, so I find them wanting to follow someone for years makes no sense to me...I have my follow up from this last round of treatment in early April and he will release me...

I would have to question this following for years....
    Hugs, Nancy
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Doctors
    Doctors, some will continue to want to see you forever if you want to go. I call it easy money for them.

You once needed them, they did their thing and after a follow up, the relationship should be over.

For a chronic problem, I will see the physician as long as I have a need. I don't need to see someone who specialty I used is over.

Your almost four years out, if your seeing your oncologist, you more than likely don't need to see your radiation oncologist. One physician following you should be enough, if you no longer have cancer issues.

Best,

Doris
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    camul said:

I don't either.

I still see my rads
    I still see my rads oncologist every 6 months which I am grateful for.

Jan
  • ginnyl63664
    ginnyl63664 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    radiationdrs.
    i had in 2001 and had a really bad with it in fact the family was called in. got over that and been doing chemo and herceptin every since and i only see the onocologist
  • ThycaAnne
    ThycaAnne Member Posts: 68
    Options
    epark said:

Seeing mine today........
    I'm leaving in a couple of hours to see my rad onc for the 8 week followup appointment. I will be asking how long i will be seeing her. I will see the surgeon & medical onc in July; which will be a 6 month followup. I still see my thyroid onc every 6 months & probably will for many more years, as I have persistent thyroid cancer in my lymph nodes.

Praying for us all to get rid of the beast--so glad to have you all in my life.

Hugs,

Anne
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    epark said:

This will be 4 yrs for
    This will be 4 yrs for me...so I assume mabye 5 yrs..

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    SIROD said:

Doctors
    Doctors, some will continue to want to see you forever if you want to go. I call it easy money for them.

You once needed them, they did their thing and after a follow up, the relationship should be over.

For a chronic problem, I will see the physician as long as I have a need. I don't need to see someone who specialty I used is over.

Your almost four years out, if your seeing your oncologist, you more than likely don't need to see your radiation oncologist. One physician following you should be enough, if you no longer have cancer issues.

Best,

Doris

well I see my reg onologist
    well I see my reg onologist now @ 6mths (graduated from 3 then 4 mths) but the Dr at radiation center doens't do much different exam? only thing different is they measure my arms. THEY get all my mammo, blood work etc from onocologist. So all I do it get weighed, arm measured, breast exam and ask misc routine questions.

Denise
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

radiationdrs.
    i had in 2001 and had a really bad with it in fact the family was called in. got over that and been doing chemo and herceptin every since and i only see the onocologist

May depend on how many total cancer doctors you have
    Because I did chemo and radiation after surgery, during treatment, I saw my surgeon, medical oncologist, and radiation oncologist regularly. My last follow-up with my radiation oncologist was 1 year after completing radiation.

At that time, Dr. Radiation told me their standard practice is that I continue to see TWO doctors, but THREE is too much. Because I'm on Tamoxifen, I have to continue seeing my medical oncologist, and my surgeon also wants to continue following me, so, with his blessing, I "dumped" my radiation oncologist after the 1-year followup.

If I had not had chemo, I probably wouldn't have developed such a close relationship with my medical oncologist, so I might have chosen to continue with the radiation oncologist instead.

2 1/2 years post-treatment, I now see my surgeon annually and my medical oncologist every 3 months. My understanding is that, once I finish Tamoxifen, I probably won't have to see my medical oncologist quite so often, but will see both doctors probably for the rest of my life.

Traci
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    How many and how often would you veterans recommend?
    Whoa, maybe I need to rethink my doctor appointments. I'm seeing the surgeon and the rad onc every year, and medical onc every six months. Hmmm. Wasting the insurance's dollars and mine, perhaps? At 2.5 years from end of treatments, I could cut back to seeing just the one I like the best, with the best skills, eh? DCIS, lumpectomy, brachytherapy irradiation, no hormone therapy (stopped Tamoxifen after 1.5 years).
    ~~Connie~~
  • ThycaAnne
    ThycaAnne Member Posts: 68
    Options
    crselby said:

Whoa, maybe I need to rethink my doctor appointments. I'm seeing the surgeon and the rad onc every year, and medical onc every six months. Hmmm. Wasting the insurance's dollars and mine, perhaps? At 2.5 years from end of treatments, I could cut back to seeing just the one I like the best, with the best skills, eh? DCIS, lumpectomy, brachytherapy irradiation, no hormone therapy (stopped Tamoxifen after 1.5 years).
    ~~Connie~~

Justback from rad onc....
    Just came back from seeing my rad onc. She said everything looked good & that she would see me in August (6 months after completion of radiation) & again at a year. We had a interesting conversation about Tamoxifen. My med onc wants me to take it--of course. For MANY reasons, I have decided it is not right for me. Anyway, my rad onc says--"keeping your weight down is critical--some studies show that keeping your weight down is just as good as 5 years of Tamoxifen. Exercise & eating right are extremely important." Just wondering if any of you pink sisters have heard that before.......

How I wish we could get rid of this beast....

Hugs to all,

Anne
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    crselby said:

~~Connie~~

I have never seen the
    I have never seen the surgeon since week post check up...

I am 4 yrs out as of yesterday

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    ThycaAnne said:

Justback from rad onc....
    Just came back from seeing my rad onc. She said everything looked good & that she would see me in August (6 months after completion of radiation) & again at a year. We had a interesting conversation about Tamoxifen. My med onc wants me to take it--of course. For MANY reasons, I have decided it is not right for me. Anyway, my rad onc says--"keeping your weight down is critical--some studies show that keeping your weight down is just as good as 5 years of Tamoxifen. Exercise & eating right are extremely important." Just wondering if any of you pink sisters have heard that before.......

How I wish we could get rid of this beast....

Hugs to all,

Anne

THis is what they said is MY
    THis is what they said is MY ANNUAL check up....i see med Oncologist @ 3-4 mths and just graduated to 6mths and mammo annually again..

They Rad Onologist really doestn't do much besides talk and breast exam (measure arms only thing differnt) HE reads reports/ lab etc from other onoclogist so doen'st make sense but i do what they say...

Denise
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options

I have never seen the
    I have never seen the surgeon since week post check up...

I am 4 yrs out as of yesterday

Denise

I haven't
    I haven't seen the rads onc since I finished rads. I only saw my surgeon to have port removed, and she told me in January when I called her I can go back to annual mammos, even on bad boob. Still see my med onc every six months. Still have I don't know how long on arimidex, but it's all good.

marge
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    epark said:

This appt was right at my 4
    This appt was right at my 4 yr date since BC surgery ...all went well and she said see you in ONE year...

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    epark said:

This appt was right at my 4
    This appt was right at my 4 yr date since BC surgery ...all went well and she said see you in ONE year...

Denise