Home From Hospital Camp

sangora
sangora Member Posts: 213
I had a less than a good week last week and had talked to the oncologist a couple of times. Saturday was a very good day and I thought we were on the uphill climb. All of us assumed my down feeling was a combination of Nulasta and my treatment both last week. Sunday I woke up in much pain about 4am, so I took some oxy but didn't get any better. By noon I was really feeling out of it so I took my temp. It was normal. About 5pm my nurse friend came in and said I looked like I was still in pain. I said I was and that I was contemplating calling the on call doctor at the cancer center. I took another hit of Oxy and went to bed. This time I went to sleep and slept til about 7pm. My nurse friend came back to chcek on me and when she saw me asked where the thermometer was because I looked feverish. Temp. was 100.3. We called the center center and the doc on call said that he would pull my reords up on the computer and call me right back. She took my temp again and it was 101.5 what a climb in half an hour. When the doc called back and updated on my situation,he said there was nothing for them to do, but call the rescue squad. I hate being hauled in by the rescue squad so when I didn't fuss, my friend new I was in trouble. On the way to the hospital, I began to have breathing trouble and my blood presssure was dropping. Mine is always low so didn't have far to drop to set off the machines warning bell. The ER doc only took a couple of minutes to decide I needed to go straight to the med floor. Three days later I am now back home and stable. I had pneumonia, a kidnety infection (had no systems of this except the back pain). The Nulasta hadn't done it's thing yet because 4 days after the shot my white count was 1.8. I am now home with the latest crisis averted. It has been 4 months since the last crisis. This has been a regular pattern for me. As I was leaving the hospital today I told the Internal Medicine doc who I had the last three admissions that I would see him in about 4 months, he laughed and shook his head. Sam Stage IV

Comments

• stephikindred
    stephikindred Member Posts: 140
    Glad you're home
    I was thinking about you today since I had not seen any posts from you lately. I'm glad that crisis was averted! I'm sending healing thoughts your way Sam!
    Steph
  • paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Great to hear you are back home again!!
    Sam,

I am sorry to hear that you had another crisis. I know you just started on a new chemotherapy regimen recently, I wonder if this was your body reacting to a new set of medications? I am glad you friend decided to stop by and see how you were doing. I hope this week is much less "eventful" than last week.

You are in my prayers daily,

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/22/2009 T2N1M0 Stage IIB
    12/03/2009 Ivor Lewis
    2/8 through 6/14/2010 Adjuvant Chemo Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    Two year survivor

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Hoping for better days ahead
    Very glad a friend (even better to be a nurse friend) stopped by to check on you. Prompt attention to the latest "events" got you home fairly quickly.

Thinking of you and hoping this finds you well tonight!

Love & Hugs,

Terry
  • AngieD
    AngieD Member Posts: 493
    TerryV said:

Hoping for better days ahead
    Very glad a friend (even better to be a nurse friend) stopped by to check on you. Prompt attention to the latest "events" got you home fairly quickly.

Thinking of you and hoping this finds you well tonight!

Love & Hugs,

Terry

Sam, so glad you're home
    Sam, so glad you're home with the crisis resolved!! Hoping for much better days now!
    Angie