In case you were worried...Because I was.

Options
Jennjallen67
Jennjallen67 Member Posts: 22
edited March 2012 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
MONDAY, Mar. 26, 2012 — Over the past several months there have been a number of alarming news reports highlighting links between oral sex, the human pappillomavirus (HPV), and cancers of the head and neck. It all basically started after the Journal of Clinical Oncology published a study in October detailing a significant increase in rates of HPV-related throat cancers.

The journal article was certainly eye-opening. Researchers tested tumor samples from patients diagnosed with throat cancer between 1984 and 2004. They found that the HPV virus was detected in only 16 percent of samples from the 1980s; in samples taken from 2000 on, however, the presence of HPV jumped to 72 percent. Reporting on the study’s release last fall, the The New York Times wrote, “If the trend continues, by 2020 the [HPV] virus will be causing more throat cancer than cervical cancer.”

No one would dispute that the proportion of overall head and neck cancers attributed to HPV has increased. The virus is now a more likely cause of oral cancer than tobacco use. But if the what isn’t in question in this situation, the why is another story. “Researchers think the trend may be attributable to increases in oral sex, particularly among younger people who think it is safer than intercourse,” the Times reported.

But a new analysis of the available evidence by psychologist and sex therapist Dr. Sara Rosenquist says that blaming oral sex for the rise in these types of cancers is counter-productive to our sexual health and distorts the overall picture.

According to Rosenquist’s report, which was published online in the Journal of Sexual Medicine, “The link between oral sex, HPV, and cancer is not a simple cause and effect relationship.” First of all, Rosenquist says, “The mere presence of HPV does not determine cancer risk even when several high-risk strains are present in the same person.” As Rosenquist points out, HPV infection is common and in most people their body’s immune system clears the virus within 18 months. The key factor in the HPV-oral-cancer-oral-sex connection is that infection is more likely to cause cancer when it can’t be cleared due to a compromised immune system, Rosenquist says. Suppressed immune function can be caused by a variety of factors, ranging from AIDS and HIV to long-term marijuana use, chronic stress and anxiety, and multiple sexual partners.

But among healthy sexually active people, HPV leading to cancer is not generally something to worry about, Rosenquist argues. “HPV should not be a cause for concern among monogamous couples with a rich and varied sex life,” she writes in the conclusion of her study, “as long as the sexual system remains closed and other immune compromising factors are not present.”

In the end, practicing safe sex and not straying from your partner are better deterrents to HPV-related head and neck cancers than curtailing an entire of part your sex life.

Last Updated: 03/26/2012

Here's the link to the actual article.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/sexual-health/0326/does-oral-sex-really-cause-head-and-neck-cancer.aspx?xid=aol_eh-sex_4_20120326_&aolcat=HLT&icid=maing-grid10|htmlws-main-bb|dl27|sec3_lnk2&pLid=147057

Comments

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    HPV & Sinners Cancer
    Yep, that's the new label for HPV related or derived H&N Cancer...the Sinners Cancer.

A lor of mention these days of HPV related H&N Cancer, and HPV in general. Some mention that over 80% of the population between the ages of 35 and above have been exposed at one time or another.

Like you mention, our bodies clear most of these, including cancer and other life threatening germs/disease...sometime for whatever reason they don't.

And also, like mentioned usually due to a comprimised immune system...lack of rest, underlying illness, whatever, allowing the disease to take hold.

I'm very glad that HPV has finally come to the forefront. Just a few years ago, not many MD's even mentioned or tested a lot of the survivors on this board.

Micheal Douglas having had it brought a lot of added attention as well. Even Gardasil is a little behind the ball when you consider most you read on their site of HPV in males is related to genital warts.

I don't think that HPV related H&N Cancer has overtaken tobacco relater H&N Cancer just yet, but studies show it will in the next few years.

JG
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

HPV & Sinners Cancer
    Yep, that's the new label for HPV related or derived H&N Cancer...the Sinners Cancer.

A lor of mention these days of HPV related H&N Cancer, and HPV in general. Some mention that over 80% of the population between the ages of 35 and above have been exposed at one time or another.

Like you mention, our bodies clear most of these, including cancer and other life threatening germs/disease...sometime for whatever reason they don't.

And also, like mentioned usually due to a comprimised immune system...lack of rest, underlying illness, whatever, allowing the disease to take hold.

I'm very glad that HPV has finally come to the forefront. Just a few years ago, not many MD's even mentioned or tested a lot of the survivors on this board.

Micheal Douglas having had it brought a lot of added attention as well. Even Gardasil is a little behind the ball when you consider most you read on their site of HPV in males is related to genital warts.

I don't think that HPV related H&N Cancer has overtaken tobacco relater H&N Cancer just yet, but studies show it will in the next few years.

JG

Sinner's Cancer
    I've got an uber-conservative co-worker who has not spoken directly to me since I returned from my medical leave... I understand it now.

Deb
  • Jennjallen67
    Options
    D Lewis said:

Sinner's Cancer
    I've got an uber-conservative co-worker who has not spoken directly to me since I returned from my medical leave... I understand it now.

Deb

My Husbands co-worker
    My Husbands co-worker actually asked if his cancer was contagious because it was HPV+. He said he was concerned for the women in the office. Some people's ignorance is astounding.

Jenn
  • Skiffin16
    Options

My Husbands co-worker
    My Husbands co-worker actually asked if his cancer was contagious because it was HPV+. He said he was concerned for the women in the office. Some people's ignorance is astounding.

Jenn

Punishment
    On one of the stupid human comment threads on here awhile back.

A lady's relative told her she was being punshied by God for her past behavior.

A big capital MO as in MORAN....

JG
  • Irishgypsie
    Irishgypsie Member Posts: 333
    Options

My Husbands co-worker

Jenn

EEO Complaint!!!
    This is actually a serious EEO complaint. I'm not sure how that person found out about the HPV status; but that is grounds for harassment at work. Your husband should file EEO complaint.

Charles
  • Irishgypsie
    Irishgypsie Member Posts: 333
    Options

EEO Complaint!!!
    This is actually a serious EEO complaint. I'm not sure how that person found out about the HPV status; but that is grounds for harassment at work. Your husband should file EEO complaint.

Charles

EEO Complaint!!!

Charles
  • nedsky39
    nedsky39 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    HPV 16/18 and SCC of base of tonhue
    My newly diagnosed husband was told that his lesion is HPV positive....and perhaps the cancer is less agressive...responds to treatment better. I need to ask a question here...I can't find any clear info online about this disease. Did he get this cancer from me...we've been married 8yrs. I've never had an atypical PAP...and if he got this from me we need to make some adjustments, correct? Regardless of the origin...we aren't concerned about momogomy...realize we had partners before marrying. However, if I have this can I be treated? How do they test for this in women? thank you.
  • RogerRN43
    RogerRN43 Member Posts: 185
    Options
    nedsky39 said:

My newly diagnosed husband was told that his lesion is HPV positive....and perhaps the cancer is less agressive...responds to treatment better. I need to ask a question here...I can't find any clear info online about this disease. Did he get this cancer from me...we've been married 8yrs. I've never had an atypical PAP...and if he got this from me we need to make some adjustments, correct? Regardless of the origin...we aren't concerned about momogomy...realize we had partners before marrying. However, if I have this can I be treated? How do they test for this in women? thank you.

No adjustments needed
    He may have acquired HPV from you but he did not get cancer from you.
    Alternately, he may have acquired HPV beyond 8 years ago from somebody else.

The current reliable method to detect HPV is to obtain a tissue sample for testing. An atypical PAP will not tell you if you have HPV. Although the tissue collection is the same, the HPV test is a different test than examining cells for a PAP.

If you are HPV negative, and assuming you were exposed multiple times throughout your marriage, it's likely your immune system eradicated it. This can take 2 years.
    If you are HPV positive, there is no treatment for it. Fortunately, cancer from HPV is rare, and the best thing you can do is to maintain or adopt healthy behaviors to keep you immune system strong; follow your recommended routine PAP testing, and go to a dentist that does routine oral screening.

First your husband acquired HPV from someone (if he had previous partners, whether from you or from who, may never be known). Second, his body did not eradicate it. Third his immune system may have been compromised allowing the virus to alter cell DNA into malignant cells. This may have been from stress, underlying disease, smoking, alcohol, or some other irritant. The cause for conversion may be less clear and perhaps attributed to a predisposition in his genetics.

Historically, HPV+ oral cancer responds better to treatment and has a less likelihood of recurrence, thereby a better prognosis than HPV- oral cancer.
  • Jennjallen67
    Options
    nedsky39 said:

Me too
    Those were my exact concerns when I found out his cancer was HPV+. I was first very glad since it responds better to treatment. Then I wondered, if he has it, do I? Do I keep giving it to him? We have been married for 23 years. I called my OB/GYN and they said "we don't test for HPV unless you have an abnormal PAP". And your right there isn't a lot of info on the web about HPV. After a lot of reading, I do feel better. This article in particular made me feel better.

Jenn
  • Skiffin16
    Options
    nedsky39 said:

Who Done It....
    It could be dormant for years or not even sexually derived.... I haven't seen anything as of yet saying they are 100% sure that all HPV is sexually transmitted.

I have seen thoughts that it could even be transmitted through kissing.

I know my wife and I have been together over 20 years, and nobody else has been in to our goodies.

Her MD does test for HPV during her annual PAP exams, she hasn't been detected to have HPV. So if it were sexually transmitted to me, it had to be over 20 years ago and lay dormant.

Or like mentioned perhaps I had it all that time and for whatever reason my immune system became weakened, allowing the HPV to migrate to cancer.

Doesn't really matter, it is what it is...you deal with it.

As for HPV dervived cancer being more responsive or having better odds...well cancer is cancer. It's a fight that you don't ask for but better give it your all.

BTW, welcome NEDSKY, great people here and a lot of good info. If you haven't found the SuperThread yet, it has tons of great info that we all have contributed to, put to a link by Sweetblood...

SUPERTHREAD

Stay positive, keep your humor, and push forward.

Best,
    John