Okay baggers, I’m ready to join the club!

Options
2»

Comments

• RickMurtagh
    RickMurtagh Member Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    hey baggy buddy (from the jungle book)
    Brooks,
    we have just about the same story. We both got the dx in 09 a couple of months apart. we had pretty much the same treatment with just a slightly different order (i think you had surgery sooner than i did, or maybe chemo, i can't remember). we even went to disney a few weeks apart dealing with the same kinds of stuff (and the trip was not bad for either of us). our reversals were a month or so apart and we had about the same results after the reversal initially. then we parted ways. my life went to hell pretty quickly after the first few months and i spent a long time in diapers trying to cope. i had a sacral cancer dx, but that turned out to be a pretty bad chronic infection. had a new perm ileo and life has only gotten better since. life is not perfect and it can sometimes still be complicated, but man what a difference. i know your neuropathy is worse than mine and you may not be able to work still, but life CAN be better with a perm bag. i mean - I work in a bank! laf - bag and all. I got to where you are thanks to a perforation early on, but i can tell you it is better at the top of the heap than at the bottom!
    here is hoping you the best baggy buddy!
    Rick
  • TMac52
    TMac52 Member Posts: 352
    Options

hey baggy buddy (from the jungle book)
    Brooks,
    we have just about the same story. We both got the dx in 09 a couple of months apart. we had pretty much the same treatment with just a slightly different order (i think you had surgery sooner than i did, or maybe chemo, i can't remember). we even went to disney a few weeks apart dealing with the same kinds of stuff (and the trip was not bad for either of us). our reversals were a month or so apart and we had about the same results after the reversal initially. then we parted ways. my life went to hell pretty quickly after the first few months and i spent a long time in diapers trying to cope. i had a sacral cancer dx, but that turned out to be a pretty bad chronic infection. had a new perm ileo and life has only gotten better since. life is not perfect and it can sometimes still be complicated, but man what a difference. i know your neuropathy is worse than mine and you may not be able to work still, but life CAN be better with a perm bag. i mean - I work in a bank! laf - bag and all. I got to where you are thanks to a perforation early on, but i can tell you it is better at the top of the heap than at the bottom!
    here is hoping you the best baggy buddy!
    Rick

Bags are IN
    Hey Brooks,
    I never had a choice. Woke up after surgery and looked down. The bag was on the left and I was pissed. See my surgeon told me she would do what she thought would give me the best quality of life and after reading and meeting many who have been in your shoes, I think she did me a favor. She probably saved me from having to endure at leaste two more surgeries. (A take down and a new perm)wow sounds like a hair salon HAHA!
    Anyway my tumor was low and attached to the sphinkter muscle and I would most likely be incontinent if we tried the temp. I do almost everything i did before cancer accept run or walk much ( because of the neuropathy ) I went on a hunting trip to Canada this past fall. It will give you your life back. But I think you already know that. I just want to support your decision you will be glad you did it.
    Also: I am amazed at some of the antique bikes your able to find and post on FB.
    Talk soon bud,
    Tom
  • danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    joemetz said:

question...
    is there a "difference" between a permenant and temporary colostomy?

just curious... as i had the colostomy surgery in December 2011 and they plan to "reconnect" me in July 2012.

I will only lose about a foot or so of my upper colon. (transverse colon).
    my ilostomy is very high... just under my lowest rib, to the right side, right by my liver.

just curious what you can share.

joemetz
    Every one is different. I ony had a ileo bag for about 6 weeks-then take down. Main complication a fistula(i'll let you look it up0, But it healed itself from the inside out. now two yeays later am ned about to have my 8th birthday party. Good . luck to you
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Dear Nedy
    Sounds to me like you need to get a second opinion regarding your current situation.

Some doctors seem to avoid an ostomy because most folks fear them. I had those fears before surgery, but have now had 2 years with one and life is good.

Given the amount of intestional surgery you have had, it may be something to consider, if the docs feel you are a good overall candidate.

If your docs are "done" then you need a new one...someone who will listen to your issues and try to help you be able to live in comfort and out of the bathroom.

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties
  • bspangler47
    bspangler47 Member Posts: 145
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Bag
    I went to the ER on Sunday in horrible pain thought it was from my right kidney since I have the a stent in. But they did a CT scan showed me being blocked. Said because of the scar tissue built up n the radiation. Now I am thinking I should go ahead and get the bag back soon. and half of me say to wait. I was sick today almost felt like throwing up came home took colace and nauesa pills. My GI dr says it would given me a better life, the surgeron said there are no guarntees if they opening me open again. Cancer dr said i shouldnt do it I have had to many surgeries etc.