Resourses

Options
azdixie
azdixie Member Posts: 14
Hi, I'm pretty new to this site (and cancer) and I was wondering if anyone knew of any oganizations that help out people financially who are dealing with cancer. I found out in December that I had breast cancer and slowly but surely what little savings we had is being drained with all the co-pays, meds, Dr appts, etc. I'm a stay at home grandma (we have been raising our 12 year old grandson since he was a baby) so we only have one income. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    So sorry-I have no
    So sorry-I have no suggestions just wanted to tell you thinking of you. I hope someone here or your cancaer center (social worker) etc can help out...

Denise
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Check also with your local
    Check also with your local offices of the some of the 'big names'...Susan G Komen, American Cancer Society, Avon. They often have programs and resources. Also, does your cancer cent er have a social worker on staff? That's someone else to ask, and sometimes docs and hospitals will adjust their bills if you ask.

Hugs,

Linda
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

Check also with your local offices of the some of the 'big names'...Susan G Komen, American Cancer Society, Avon. They often have programs and resources. Also, does your cancer cent er have a social worker on staff? That's someone else to ask, and sometimes docs and hospitals will adjust their bills if you ask.

Hugs,

Linda

Most....
    Most cancer treatment centers have case workers who can help you with finding funding resources...please ask, they're there to help in situations, such as yours....and Linda's post is also full of good resources.....perhaps even friends could hold a fund raising event for you..we did that for a friend of my husbands and raised $7000.00...

And what a wonderful grandma you must be! I find that my 4 grands are my best medicine!
    I so wish you and your family better days ahead...
    Hugs, Nancy
  • azdixie
    Options

So sorry-I have no
    So sorry-I have no suggestions just wanted to tell you thinking of you. I hope someone here or your cancaer center (social worker) etc can help out...

Denise

Thank you so much for your
    Thank you so much for your kind words. It is really nice to know that you're not alone and some out there is thinking about you.
  • azdixie
    Options
    DebbyB said:
    Thank you so much for your
    Thank you so much for your info. I will be checking these sites out today. I hope you were able to find the help you needed and you're back on your feet again.
  • azdixie
    Options

Hugs,

Linda

I will definately check out
    I will definately check out these places. I haven't gone to a cancer center yet. I am a vet and have been going to the VA for treatments. But about 2 weeks ago I found out that I may need radiation therapy and the VA doesn't offer that treatment so I have been referred to MD Anderson. I'm waiting for them to review my records and get their opinion about the radiation. If I do begin treatment with them,
    maybe I will be assigned a social worker. Thanks for your info, I really appreciate it.
  • azdixie
    Options
    MAJW said:

Most....
    Most cancer treatment centers have case workers who can help you with finding funding resources...please ask, they're there to help in situations, such as yours....and Linda's post is also full of good resources.....perhaps even friends could hold a fund raising event for you..we did that for a friend of my husbands and raised $7000.00...

And what a wonderful grandma you must be! I find that my 4 grands are my best medicine!
    I so wish you and your family better days ahead...
    Hugs, Nancy

Thank you for your info...I
    Thank you for your info...I hadn't thought about fundraising but that is certainly an option. I haven't gone to a cancer center yet. I have been getting all my treatments through the VA. I am so thankful that I am able to be seen at the VA because we don't have health insurace but the co-payments are killing me. I think just about everytime I step through the door it is at least $50.....multiply that by week after week (sometimes more than 1 appointment at a time) and it does get expensive.
    My grandkids are great also. We have 8 but we are raising just the one grandson. He has been the joy of our lives and we wouldn't change a thing. He gives us far more than we could ever give him!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    azdixie said:

I will definately check out
    I will definately check out these places. I haven't gone to a cancer center yet. I am a vet and have been going to the VA for treatments. But about 2 weeks ago I found out that I may need radiation therapy and the VA doesn't offer that treatment so I have been referred to MD Anderson. I'm waiting for them to review my records and get their opinion about the radiation. If I do begin treatment with them,
    maybe I will be assigned a social worker. Thanks for your info, I really appreciate it.

The American Cancer Society
    The American Cancer Society can guide you for help. Their number is on this site. It is toll free. And, most centers will offer some sort of payment plan if you discuss your financial situation with them. Some also have funds allocated just for this situation. So, ask anyone and everyone if they can help you.

Good luck,

Kylez