Just an Update from Sundance...

Options
Sundanceh
Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
Alot has been happening...Kim and I posted a 100-hour week that concluded this past Sunday with my dad moving back out of the nursing home - to ER - and then to ICU. (that was just Sunday alone).

He is now intubated. He was crashing and close to "coding" the nurse told me. At this point, I'm once more walking in the valley of the unknown again - big decisions could be heading my way and perhaps very soon - I'm unsure of how I will handle it - not sure about alot of things right now. I don't have time to go into it now, perhaps later. I've got alot that I might want to say....if folks were interested.

The next two weeks are critical...we could be in the final days...I know we're on the final leg.

On a lighter note...

I had been working on the idea for several story posts that I had wanted to share with you, before my world blew up. The first in a series will be "published" tomorrow, lol! It's titled "The Story of the Man They Call Big Billy."

I've been tweaking it when I could the past few weeks - just finishing it up today - it helps me to take my mind off the other difficult things I find my mind dealing with. Writing is good therapy for me - and just being with my friends.

After the story of BB is posted, he personally will open a post to talk with you, lol! Then, I have another great story that I wanted to write about following that...so in the coming weeks, I'll write and release those...they give me a good outlet to write in new ways and I think they will be entertaining enough for you to read - if you want to.

So, BB post tomorrow - new BB avatar pic too...

I've got my hands full and we're exhausted, but I had wanted to write these this year...and if Kim and I should both pop with cancer, well who knows what I'll be talking about then?

So, enjoy the post tomorrow...it will be a nice diversion to read some responses back off of that.

Gotta' go!

-Craig:)

Comments

• smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Hey Craig....did Kim ever
    Hey Craig....did Kim ever find out what was going on with her?? Any type of diagnosis yet...you may have posted already and I missed it, sorry :)
  • wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    smokeyjoe said:

Hey Craig....did Kim ever
    Hey Craig....did Kim ever find out what was going on with her?? Any type of diagnosis yet...you may have posted already and I missed it, sorry :)

Craig
    Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry things are going downhill with your dad, but glad that you have been able to get some legal advice and are getting a handle on certain aspects of this dilemma. I'm sure that you will handle any decisions that must be made with strength and dignity.

I am looking forward to hearing more from your alter persona, but hate to temporarily lose "The Lion". LOL

I hope Kim is feeling well. Please update with her latest results.

Luv,

Wolfen
  • Sundanceh
    Options
    wolfen said:

Craig
    Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry things are going downhill with your dad, but glad that you have been able to get some legal advice and are getting a handle on certain aspects of this dilemma. I'm sure that you will handle any decisions that must be made with strength and dignity.

I am looking forward to hearing more from your alter persona, but hate to temporarily lose "The Lion". LOL

I hope Kim is feeling well. Please update with her latest results.

Luv,

Wolfen

About Kim...
    LOL! The Lion will temporarily go on hiatus, but as Arnold said in the Terminator, "He'll Be Back." LOL! The BB piece is fun reading and just a change of pace...

"Mama" and Smokey...Kim had another test that came back "cold" and showed up in blue, not red....in this case Red is good, which is contrary to everything we've been taught along the way. So, the blue has several spots that show cold and are an indication of cancer.

I've asked Kim to switch gears and move her care to UTSW, which is the best hospital in the D/FW area, bar none. I'm hooking her up with my ENT guy so she can have a biopsy done and get the results. She's getting a referral to see him and then get the biop done and we'll see from there. There is a good head and neck surgeon on-staff as well, though I have not met him.

We've been under so much stress with my dad that both of our voices are horse...I sound like "Froggy" from the Little Rascals tv show. I haven't felt this wiped out since the tornado days a decade ago. She is crying a little here and there, she's not had time to process any of it and it's not confirmed, just leaning that way.

Thanks for asking...I'll pass along your best wishes.
  • Lorikat
    Lorikat Member Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    EGADS!
    I am so sorry y'all are going thru this triple hard time. This decisions are sooooo hard to make. My Mom now doesn't know where she is most of the time. She can no longer be left alone at all. But thanks to you and others on this site I DID connect with VA and it looks favorable. Like you, my nerves are shot and fatigue stays right with me. Take care..
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Hey Craig,
    Ugh, what a week

Hey Craig,

Ugh, what a week for you both. I'm so sorry that you've had to deal with so many troubles, and all at the same time no less. I hope that you can both get some well needed rest soon. Please give Kim my best wishes and a caring hug.

Take care, Cynthia

(And Rick just told me to say "Hi" to you guys as well.)
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Sacred Passage
    There's a book called "Sacred Passage" and it deals with what Buddhists believe/try to practice when they deal with the death of a loved one. It's broken down into the Eight Stages of Dissolution and it talks about the phases that one's body and mid go through when they die. They believe that the spirit does not leave the body immediately, it takes up to 72 hours and there is a process that you go through.

My brother, while not a full-fledged Buddhist, does follow some of the teachings and brought this concept up to my sister and I since our Mom's been dying for 11/2 years (apparently she's in no hurry and neither are we). The main thing we are concerned with and want to avoid is when she passes away and if none of us are there (we have a live-in aide) is having the police or EMS come in and remove her body. We want to have time to be with her in the event that her spirit/soul/whatever you wish to call it, is still present.

The really great thing was that we were able to talk about this even with Mom. Like I've said and she's said, she's not going or she plans on going in her sleep. It's something that EVERYONE will someday face. I think we all found it comforting to be able to discuss it and let our wishes be known to our Mom especially since she's been letting us know what she does and doesn't want when her time comes...

I know you've had a much rougher time Craig with your situation and all who got involved.
    I hope things so as smoothly as they can. My best to Kim...
    -ralph
  • Sundanceh
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Sacred Passage
    There's a book called "Sacred Passage" and it deals with what Buddhists believe/try to practice when they deal with the death of a loved one. It's broken down into the Eight Stages of Dissolution and it talks about the phases that one's body and mid go through when they die. They believe that the spirit does not leave the body immediately, it takes up to 72 hours and there is a process that you go through.

My brother, while not a full-fledged Buddhist, does follow some of the teachings and brought this concept up to my sister and I since our Mom's been dying for 11/2 years (apparently she's in no hurry and neither are we). The main thing we are concerned with and want to avoid is when she passes away and if none of us are there (we have a live-in aide) is having the police or EMS come in and remove her body. We want to have time to be with her in the event that her spirit/soul/whatever you wish to call it, is still present.

The really great thing was that we were able to talk about this even with Mom. Like I've said and she's said, she's not going or she plans on going in her sleep. It's something that EVERYONE will someday face. I think we all found it comforting to be able to discuss it and let our wishes be known to our Mom especially since she's been letting us know what she does and doesn't want when her time comes...

I know you've had a much rougher time Craig with your situation and all who got involved.
    I hope things so as smoothly as they can. My best to Kim...
    -ralph

Hey Phil - I'm Sorry...I Mean Ralph:)
    That's an intersting theory on the 72-hour thing...it gives one reason to ponder the possibilities of such a thing...can you imagine what we could be aware of, yet unable to communicate about - at least in the way that we understand.

I'm glad you've got sibling support - many is the time I wish I had my sister with me...and this would be one of those times. Dad told me he was going in his sleep too...I explained that's the one we all dream about going like - unfortunately, if that were the norm, the nursing homes and hospitals would not be overflowing to capacity.

I wrote in the book that's the way I would want it for myself...

Thanks for posting...and btw Big Billy's picture will be sure to put a smile on that mug of yours tomorrow - check it out, LOL! It will be a hoot - sure to get a rise out of you - I took it with you in mind, specifically:)

Take care!

-Craig
  • Sundanceh
    Options
    Our Health is the Ride of our Lives...
    Well, we stopped into ICU this evening after work...I was not expecting what I saw.

They extubated Dad today...we walked in and they had removed the tube and he was puffing on a breathing treatment of Albuterol....I asked him "what" he was smoking in that pipe?

LOL!

He told me that in the ambulance ride to the hospital, that one of the paramedics mentioned to the other one that "he was not going to make it."

He said, "that was a funny feeling."

No doubt.

So, maybe ICU for another day or so and then into a room - and then we have to find a new facility....and then...

And we just thought the cancer journey was a roller-coaster ride...good goobly-gosh this ride has some steep hills and some hellacious drops with alot of bends and twists in between to keep your attention.

We'll see how things go...I'm going to call it a day - before I call it something else.

LOL!

-Craig
  • jjaj133
    jjaj133 Member Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Oh, Craig, I am so sorry
    Oh, Craig, I am so sorry for all you are going through. As for reading what you write. I would read your grocery list. I have no doubt that it is entertaining.
    Sending prayers,
    Judy
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

About Kim...
    LOL! The Lion will temporarily go on hiatus, but as Arnold said in the Terminator, "He'll Be Back." LOL! The BB piece is fun reading and just a change of pace...

"Mama" and Smokey...Kim had another test that came back "cold" and showed up in blue, not red....in this case Red is good, which is contrary to everything we've been taught along the way. So, the blue has several spots that show cold and are an indication of cancer.

I've asked Kim to switch gears and move her care to UTSW, which is the best hospital in the D/FW area, bar none. I'm hooking her up with my ENT guy so she can have a biopsy done and get the results. She's getting a referral to see him and then get the biop done and we'll see from there. There is a good head and neck surgeon on-staff as well, though I have not met him.

We've been under so much stress with my dad that both of our voices are horse...I sound like "Froggy" from the Little Rascals tv show. I haven't felt this wiped out since the tornado days a decade ago. She is crying a little here and there, she's not had time to process any of it and it's not confirmed, just leaning that way.

Thanks for asking...I'll pass along your best wishes.

Funny
    I've always been raised that blue was better...

:smile:

Glad to hear about Kim. Kathy went through a similar scare a year or so ago, and the second test came up negative as well. Apparently false positives are fairly common.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Sorry
    Hey, Craig.

I'm very sorry about all you and Kim are having to deal with. Y'all have just gotten too good at handling crises! Praying things will get better all the way around soon.

*hugs*
    Gail