New to cancer and treatment-Help Me?

Options
I had my first chemo treatment on March 23rd. I had my surgery on February 29th, of course a huge surgery as you know, so took some time for the pain to subside of course, but it did for the most part. Since the surgery I have a new pain in my right upper quadrant, there was a ct done and it shows my liver is enlarged and shadowing at the pancreas but no "obvious: mass. Proceeded with the treatment and now the pain in my pelvis is worse and the pain in the right upper quadrant is worse. I did not expect this. Does the chemo make the pain worse as it works? Or something I should address with the Dr. One other thing, I have been experiencing shortness of breath on occasion. I know that can be from anemia, pleural effusion, ascites. But I dont think any of those things are happening at this point. Other than the shortness of breath and the pain(the pain is not horrid), I dont feel all that bad. But I felt better before they started messing with me.
I just have this bad feeling about all of this. Like it's not going to be ok. I have stage 1A,grade 3 tumor,clear cell. It's hard to conquer I am told,and I feel like I have gone down hill rather quickly since diagnosis.
Are these things I should work through? or call my nurse tomorrow?

Comments

• Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Call your nurse
    Any time you have pain or are feeling unusual, you should contact your doctor's office. I put a lot of weight on intuition and if you think something is wrong, you should pursue it. I can't explain what you are feeling by my personal experience. I was on multiple pain meds throughout chemo, so I didnt' feel much. But I have heard women say they feel pain when the chemo is working. I hope you find some answers that give you comfort. I worked with a counselor during my treatment and I can't imagine going through this without some type of similar support.
  • undertreatment2012
    undertreatment2012 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Tethys41 said:

Call your nurse
    Any time you have pain or are feeling unusual, you should contact your doctor's office. I put a lot of weight on intuition and if you think something is wrong, you should pursue it. I can't explain what you are feeling by my personal experience. I was on multiple pain meds throughout chemo, so I didnt' feel much. But I have heard women say they feel pain when the chemo is working. I hope you find some answers that give you comfort. I worked with a counselor during my treatment and I can't imagine going through this without some type of similar support.

call the nurse
    thank you for the input. I will call tomorrow with some questions. Asking about pain meds as I was offered none. It seems each day comes with it's own surprises and can be hourly almost. maybe I need a nap. :)
  • ktamp
    ktamp Member Posts: 81
    Options
    We have similar diagnoses.
    We have similar diagnoses. I am a stage 1C clear cell. I have found chemo to be very hard. I just finished my last treatment March 21. Every treatment was painful and they got progressively worse. I take vicoden for the pain. I was surprised at how much chemo physically hurt. I get alot of bone pain from the taxotere and from the neulasta to bring my counts back up. I would say your symptoms do not sound that unusual but always call your doctor or chemo nurse with any doubts or questions.
  • lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    ktamp said:

We have similar diagnoses.
    We have similar diagnoses. I am a stage 1C clear cell. I have found chemo to be very hard. I just finished my last treatment March 21. Every treatment was painful and they got progressively worse. I take vicoden for the pain. I was surprised at how much chemo physically hurt. I get alot of bone pain from the taxotere and from the neulasta to bring my counts back up. I would say your symptoms do not sound that unusual but always call your doctor or chemo nurse with any doubts or questions.

Glad you will be calling the nurse
    and please let us know the outcome. Hopefully, this is nothing serious but it's always good to report symptoms that are bothering you. Besides going through chemo, you went through major surgery very recently and it really takes the body a long time to recover and symptoms could also be related to that. So glad you are coming to this board to share your worries and fears. We're all here to support you.

Take care,
    Kelly