Home from surgery

Options
eihtak
eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
Well I came home today from surgery for double mastectomy. I am pretty sore but seem to get relief from meds at least for a bit. My doctor did a great job, tho I imagine things change as time goes on. The drains kind of scare me, I have 2 in each side. They must hurt like hell when they get pulled out???? I want to thank each of you from the bottom of my heart for the kind and thoughtful posts before my surgery. Life is truely amazing to know such love from total strangers. Everyday you are all included in my prayers for health and peace in our lives. I am tired now and plan to sleep but I will surely have many questions as I begin my recovery and am glad I have this place to come to for great advice. Thank you all so very much.

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    wishing you a quick recovery
    Wishing you a quick recovery and easy healing. It will not hurt when they pulling out your drains. Please take care of them and yourself.
    Hugs
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    I've been waiting for your post -
    Use the meds as needed for relief and rest, we'll be here for you.

Warmest hugs,

Sue
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Warmest hugs,

Sue

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery
    Try to rest as much as possible for the next several days and take those pain meds as needed. Don't rush to do too much--it will set you back in your recovery.

As New Flower said, don't worry about the drain removal--piece of cake, really.

Take good care and know we are all wishing you the best.

Hugs, Renee
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    No pain with drain removal
    Glad you did well, wishing you a speedy, easy recovery.

Had no pain with drain removal, area was numb from the surgery.

Good luck, take care,

Jennifer
  • Penny67
    Penny67 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Good luck, take care,

Jennifer

Wishing you a speedy recovery
    Wishing you a speedy recovery. One word of advice is don't rush the drain removal. Those drains are a major inconvenience but you want to make sure they are left in long enough so you don't have a build up of fluid after they come out. I had 4 and had one out at a time with the last one coming out at 5 1/2 weeks post op. they didn't hurt at all when they came out and that is coming from someone that does not do well with pain. Remember to take your pain mess regularly but also take some kind of stool softener because the pain mess are very constipating. I let it get out of control ( the constipation) and I will NEVER do that again as it was very painful. Heed the advice of your pink sisters as we can help you avoid any mistakes we have made. Hugs!
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    yes I forgot
    how the pain meds can do that to you. I was able to switch off them rather quickly as I have a high tollerance for pain as long as I know it is appropriate to the situation.

Now here is a remedy for constipation that is all natural. Equal parts of bran (like all bran) applesauce, and prune juice. Mix all three ingredients together and it ends up looking a bit like pudding.
  • Jobi
    Jobi Member Posts: 211
    Options
    Better days are ahead
    I am glad that the surgery went well. It is a tough one emotionally. Take time to rest and heal. The drains are a pain, but better than the alternative of infection or other problems. I had mine in for a little more than two weeks. But the time will soon pass, and better days are in your future - promise!

Please don't hesitate to ask questions as time goes on. We are here to support and pray for you. It is our pleasure to "pay it forward" because so many have been here for us.

Dorene
  • Jobi
    Jobi Member Posts: 211
    Options

yes I forgot
    how the pain meds can do that to you. I was able to switch off them rather quickly as I have a high tollerance for pain as long as I know it is appropriate to the situation.

Now here is a remedy for constipation that is all natural. Equal parts of bran (like all bran) applesauce, and prune juice. Mix all three ingredients together and it ends up looking a bit like pudding.

Prunes
    I am going to use this!!! I have kept a bag of the individually wrapped prunes on my nightstand since the beginning of chemo. I have forced myself to eat 5 a day (yuck). I will say though, I have had very, very few problems with constipation as a result. But now I have a better recipe to get those prunes in! Thanks!!!!

Dorene
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Warmest hugs,

Sue

Glad you're home and wishing
    Glad you're home and wishing you a fast recovery. And, take the pain pills to stay on top of any pain you might get.

Sue :)
  • eihtak
    Options
    Jobi said:

Better days are ahead
    I am glad that the surgery went well. It is a tough one emotionally. Take time to rest and heal. The drains are a pain, but better than the alternative of infection or other problems. I had mine in for a little more than two weeks. But the time will soon pass, and better days are in your future - promise!

Please don't hesitate to ask questions as time goes on. We are here to support and pray for you. It is our pleasure to "pay it forward" because so many have been here for us.

Dorene

Drains??
    Thank you all so much. My doctor mentioned removing at least some of them already next week (1wk after surgery) They are in the way, and tho would love them gone am concerned that that may be too soon. He only took 2 lymph nodes and I don't have a great deal of fluid in the drains, but there is enough so am wondering if they should be in longer? I will ask him, and I do trust his opinion and comes highly recommended in this area. On the pain thing, its a tuff one...I am a little less than one year out from chemo/rad for Stage3 Anal cancer. Believe me radiation to the pelvis/vaginal/butt area is PAIN, and a slow process in healing. I am still on a pain management program to wean off of oxycontin from that fun time in my life. Because of that cancer and treatment I also have a colostomy so have to be very careful with constipation and follow a pretty disciplined diet to prevent problems. There was confusion over what to give me in the hospital because of all this but decided to stay on the low dose oxy, (not really that low its just that my body is so immune to it) and just take Tylenol if needed. I admit that I have become physically addicted and did not want to raise the doseage since I have been doing well in lowering it every month, it has been almost 4days now and I am feeling much better. I will definately ask him tomorrow about leaving the annoying drains in a bit longer, as I would rather deal with them than have some other related problem. Thank you all for the help and concern, I feel so lucky to have this instant family!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Good luck, take care,

Jennifer

I join the others in wishing
    I join the others in wishing you a fast recovery.

Hugs, Noel
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Jobi said:

Prunes
    I am going to use this!!! I have kept a bag of the individually wrapped prunes on my nightstand since the beginning of chemo. I have forced myself to eat 5 a day (yuck). I will say though, I have had very, very few problems with constipation as a result. But now I have a better recipe to get those prunes in! Thanks!!!!

Dorene

I hope when the drains are
    I hope when the drains are taken out that it is pain free. Good and fast healing thoughts to you!

Hugs, Jan
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    Drain Removal
    I had two drains on each side for my bmx. When they were removed the surgeon had me lay down, snipped the stitches, opened up the "grenade" looking part to remove any suction, did some counting trick on me (she said pull on three but she pulled earlier) and out they came. It felt like plucking an eyebrow. My surgeon did say that if the valve isn't opened on the holding bubble (anyone know the official name for it?), it will hurt because the suction will pull on the tissue as the drain tube comes out.

My surgeon would not remove two on one side at the same time. She would do one on each side. I never did ask why, but assume it has something to do with the possibility of fluid building up?

So relax about the drains being removed. I have had so much pain with everything, that was so minor.Make sure they open the bulb to remove the suction before they pull it out...

I am glad everything went well and you are having an ok recovery!
  • eihtak
    Options

Drain Removal
    I had two drains on each side for my bmx. When they were removed the surgeon had me lay down, snipped the stitches, opened up the "grenade" looking part to remove any suction, did some counting trick on me (she said pull on three but she pulled earlier) and out they came. It felt like plucking an eyebrow. My surgeon did say that if the valve isn't opened on the holding bubble (anyone know the official name for it?), it will hurt because the suction will pull on the tissue as the drain tube comes out.

My surgeon would not remove two on one side at the same time. She would do one on each side. I never did ask why, but assume it has something to do with the possibility of fluid building up?

So relax about the drains being removed. I have had so much pain with everything, that was so minor.Make sure they open the bulb to remove the suction before they pull it out...

I am glad everything went well and you are having an ok recovery!

Open Bulb
    Another helpful hint...thanks so much!!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Good luck, take care,

Jennifer

I can't say there was pain
    I can't say there was pain with the drain, but, it did feel funny. Wishing you an easy and fast recovery.

Hugs, Kylez
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I have not experienced any
    I have not experienced any of this (I had lumpectomy) so no advice...just thinking of you..

Denise
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    eihtak said:

Drains??
    Thank you all so much. My doctor mentioned removing at least some of them already next week (1wk after surgery) They are in the way, and tho would love them gone am concerned that that may be too soon. He only took 2 lymph nodes and I don't have a great deal of fluid in the drains, but there is enough so am wondering if they should be in longer? I will ask him, and I do trust his opinion and comes highly recommended in this area. On the pain thing, its a tuff one...I am a little less than one year out from chemo/rad for Stage3 Anal cancer. Believe me radiation to the pelvis/vaginal/butt area is PAIN, and a slow process in healing. I am still on a pain management program to wean off of oxycontin from that fun time in my life. Because of that cancer and treatment I also have a colostomy so have to be very careful with constipation and follow a pretty disciplined diet to prevent problems. There was confusion over what to give me in the hospital because of all this but decided to stay on the low dose oxy, (not really that low its just that my body is so immune to it) and just take Tylenol if needed. I admit that I have become physically addicted and did not want to raise the doseage since I have been doing well in lowering it every month, it has been almost 4days now and I am feeling much better. I will definately ask him tomorrow about leaving the annoying drains in a bit longer, as I would rather deal with them than have some other related problem. Thank you all for the help and concern, I feel so lucky to have this instant family!

Yes, we are family here!
    Yes, we are family here! You take it easy and I pray you heal fast!

Hugs, Angie
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    eihtak said:

Open Bulb
    Another helpful hint...thanks so much!!

Hoping for a full and fast
    Hoping for a full and fast recovery for you. Keep us updated on how you are doing.