Introducing myself

Hi everyone! I've been lurking around for a couple of weeks (posted a couple of times) and wanted to introduce myself. I'm 26 and I have an aggressive papillary thyroid cancer that is no longer taking up radioactive iodine (which is the standard treatment for thyroid cancer), so at this point they're treating me more like I have a head/neck cancer. I have only found a small handful of folks with thyroid cancer who have ever had external beam radiation or the swallowing/dry mouth issues, so I've found this forum to be more suited to where I am in my journey currently.

Just wanted to say hey, and that I hope you all find yourselves happy/well/at peace today ~^_^~

Comments

• soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    Welcome
    Welcome aboard, zipper. Crummy membership requirements, but great members, as you will find soon enough if you have not already. Coincidentally, I just talked with an old-timer today, lilmonkeyshine, who has been around since 2006, but hasn't been here for quite some time (thyroid, too, by the way). She is in remission and staying busy and it was a real pleasure to see her again after at least a couple of years away.

Hope and Humor, zipper!

And, again, welcome.

Take care,

Joe
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Yoooo Zippy
    LOL, welcome to our little part of the internet...

As Joe mentioned a lot of great people here.

I presume you have already forund the SuperThread, a compilation of great info and links accumulated by many here and put to a page by Sweetblood22;

SUPERTHREAD

Best,
    John
  • zipperneck2012
    zipperneck2012 Member Posts: 27
    Skiffin16 said:

Yoooo Zippy
    LOL, welcome to our little part of the internet...

As Joe mentioned a lot of great people here.

I presume you have already forund the SuperThread, a compilation of great info and links accumulated by many here and put to a page by Sweetblood22;

SUPERTHREAD

Best,
    John

Ohhh yes
    I posted a thread asking about External Beam Radiation and was referred to the superthread and it has been absolutely AMAZING. So much information that when I went to see my radiation therapist for the first time, he didn't tell me anything I didn't already know! I like trying to stay a step ahead of the game with this cancer business (well....the best you can given the sneaky nature of this little demon...) ~^_^~
  • braziliangirl82
    braziliangirl82 Member Posts: 42

Ohhh yes
    I posted a thread asking about External Beam Radiation and was referred to the superthread and it has been absolutely AMAZING. So much information that when I went to see my radiation therapist for the first time, he didn't tell me anything I didn't already know! I like trying to stay a step ahead of the game with this cancer business (well....the best you can given the sneaky nature of this little demon...) ~^_^~

Hi zipper
    Welcome to the young cancer club. Its unbelievable to be on this so young, right? I freak out when i see people like you and me over here... I had tongue cancer and always hear about the thyroid cancer good fame. Hope this fame works with you too! :)
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    You know
    I tried to respond to an earlier thread you posted, but the dang site ate my post. Sounds like the kid with the homework, I know, but that's the way it goes here sometimes. Dude, I absolutely hate your username, lol. It reminds me of how my neck looks:)

You'll get through the rads, for better or for worse. I liked them well enough I've actually done it twice. The last time ended a month ago, so I'm starting the slow healing phase. Still got some neck burn, mouth ulcers aren't clear gone yet, etc. One thing you'll learn pretty quickly about rads, the more anyone tries to tell you what it will be like, the less it actually will......

Brazilian girl missed the fact there was someone here a couple of weeks ago that was representing a 9 year old child. These diseases don't really respect age group too well.....

Best to you.

Pat
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member

Ohhh yes

Zip...Warning
    Oh, and as a warning....

Don't post on the SuperThread... Dawn (sweetblood), will make a voodoo doll of your inner likeness and torture you for awhile.

I was lucky enough to steal mine back when she wasn't looking;

....))(....
    ...(ړײ)...
    ...«▓»....
    J..╝╚...G

~John
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Welcome
    Sorry you have a need to be here. I am praying for you to be cured. This place is a sanity saver.

Debbie
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi Zipper
    Glad to have you here as part of the CSN family

Hondo
  • zipperneck2012

Hi zipper
    Welcome to the young cancer club. Its unbelievable to be on this so young, right? I freak out when i see people like you and me over here... I had tongue cancer and always hear about the thyroid cancer good fame. Hope this fame works with you too! :)

LOL yeah, a lot of people tell me thyroid cancer is "the good cancer", and it certainly does tend to have a favorable prognosis, but I'm not sure if mine will. I hope so, but it's wrecked havoc on me so far! My first surgery I lost 55 lymph nodes in my neck/upper chest and over 20 had cancer, my jugular vein on the left side, and my thyroid....had one dose of the radioactive iodine and the cancer decided it wasn't going to suck it up anymore...I had a second surgery recently (less than a year later) for a recurrence that was wrapped around my left laryngeal nerve (so now I have a paralyzed vocal cord), and was growing into my windpipe so I was hospitalized with a trach for a week, and now I'm getting ready to start External Beam Radiation.

I could use some of that good fame right about now. Da*n thyroid. :p
  • braziliangirl82

LOL yeah, a lot of people tell me thyroid cancer is "the good cancer", and it certainly does tend to have a favorable prognosis, but I'm not sure if mine will. I hope so, but it's wrecked havoc on me so far! My first surgery I lost 55 lymph nodes in my neck/upper chest and over 20 had cancer, my jugular vein on the left side, and my thyroid....had one dose of the radioactive iodine and the cancer decided it wasn't going to suck it up anymore...I had a second surgery recently (less than a year later) for a recurrence that was wrapped around my left laryngeal nerve (so now I have a paralyzed vocal cord), and was growing into my windpipe so I was hospitalized with a trach for a week, and now I'm getting ready to start External Beam Radiation.

Hi Zipper!
    sorry to know about that. but i still keep the faith that the fame works! let´s believe on that... I lost 57 nodes (you are the first that I know that lost so many was me), but thankfully mine did not have cancer (and i almost freak out in that week that i waited for the results).

like you i´m young (30yo) and know how crazy this thing is - we should be thinking of career and building our lifes, but tadã - cancer shows up driving us crazy!

hope you recover quick and stay cancer free forever!
  • braziliangirl82

You know
    I tried to respond to an earlier thread you posted, but the dang site ate my post. Sounds like the kid with the homework, I know, but that's the way it goes here sometimes. Dude, I absolutely hate your username, lol. It reminds me of how my neck looks:)

You'll get through the rads, for better or for worse. I liked them well enough I've actually done it twice. The last time ended a month ago, so I'm starting the slow healing phase. Still got some neck burn, mouth ulcers aren't clear gone yet, etc. One thing you'll learn pretty quickly about rads, the more anyone tries to tell you what it will be like, the less it actually will......

Brazilian girl missed the fact there was someone here a couple of weeks ago that was representing a 9 year old child. These diseases don't really respect age group too well.....

Best to you.

Pat

yes Pat
    I saw today a post of someone telling about a 12 yo girl with oral cancer. Yes, It does not respect but I still have thee right to be mad!

Like Peter Pan, I don´t want to grow up (to have cancer)! I think Peter Pan was afraid of bills and cancer... and I understand him.
  • zipperneck2012

You know

Best to you.

Pat

I've thought of getting a tiny pair of scissors tattooed near my ear at the top of my incision, lol. I have one that goes from my left ear over to where the right side of my neck starts, and then one that is about 4 inches long a little higher up in the left, and in the middle of the big one there's a scar/divot from my trach...and oddly enough, they ALLLLL formed keloids even though I'm very very pale. They are highly noticeable. When I catch people staring I say it was pirates ~^_^~. I try to wear a thyca cancer ribbon on a chain that hangs right below my scar so that people can not feel awkward by pretending they were looking at my necklace, or hoping they put two and two together.

And no, not a lot works to make it fade. I've tried. Doesn't bother me much anymore, I just think people's reactions are funny. ~^_^
  • ooo
    ooo Member Posts: 105

I've thought of getting a tiny pair of scissors tattooed near my ear at the top of my incision, lol. I have one that goes from my left ear over to where the right side of my neck starts, and then one that is about 4 inches long a little higher up in the left, and in the middle of the big one there's a scar/divot from my trach...and oddly enough, they ALLLLL formed keloids even though I'm very very pale. They are highly noticeable. When I catch people staring I say it was pirates ~^_^~. I try to wear a thyca cancer ribbon on a chain that hangs right below my scar so that people can not feel awkward by pretending they were looking at my necklace, or hoping they put two and two together.

And no, not a lot works to make it fade. I've tried. Doesn't bother me much anymore, I just think people's reactions are funny. ~^_^

Thyroid cells with a big ego, uh?
    Good thing pirates are never out of fashion! Welcome on board Zippy!

Dre.
  • CLRRN
    CLRRN Member Posts: 127
    Sigh...
    I'm sorry that you found your way to this board but as you can tell, this board is a great resource. I joined this board because, Mike,my partner was diagnosed w/Stage 4 Tonsil cancer (21 months post treatment) but I also frequent the Thyroid Cancer board because I was diagnosed with Stage 2 of Thyroid Cancer (follicular) August 2011. I had radioactive iodine in Oct11 and learning to adjust to thyroid replacement meds.

I'm so over the comments "it's the best cancer"...because it's not and it sucks. I will keep you in my thoughts/prayers as you continue to battle this ugly cancer.

There are amazing people on here and I'm sure you will find their life experiences supportive/helpful throughout this journey.

Chris
  • Mikemetz
    Mikemetz Member Posts: 465 Member
    Welcome
    Good to have you on board for this journey. I didn't find this resource until I was 2+ years after treatment ended, but wish I had found it at your stage. Lots of great people here, with lots of wisdom and experience to draw on. Don't be shy to ask any question at all.

Mike
  • robinleigh
    robinleigh Member Posts: 297

Yep...that ticks me off...my son is 26.

Anyhow...my husband has this cancer and some of the same issues as you. He also lost his jugular vein (he says no one can cut his jugular now!) but, we learned there are luckily two! He also ended up with a paralyzed vocal cord but the ent says the nerve damage could eventually heal. Once again, really glad there are two!

He had the imrt radiation and it does get tough at the end but, you sound pretty darn tough yourself. I think you are tougher than this cancer!!!
  • zipperneck2012

Yep...that ticks me off...my son is 26.

Anyhow...my husband has this cancer and some of the same issues as you. He also lost his jugular vein (he says no one can cut his jugular now!) but, we learned there are luckily two! He also ended up with a paralyzed vocal cord but the ent says the nerve damage could eventually heal. Once again, really glad there are two!

He had the imrt radiation and it does get tough at the end but, you sound pretty darn tough yourself. I think you are tougher than this cancer!!!

Thanks! Yeah, I was
    Thanks! Yeah, I was surprised to learn I have two jugular veins!! My vocal cord, unfortunately, will always be paralyzed. They had to remove the nerve that controls it. Luckily, I sound almost normal with just the one. I can tell I sound different, but other people can only really tell when I try to yell (I can't), sing (I can hit maybe half an octave and I used to be able to do about 3 octaves), or laugh... but I'm very happy overall with how my voice came out...I was expecting something MUCH raspier!!
  • robinleigh
    robinleigh Member Posts: 297

Thanks! Yeah, I was
    Thanks! Yeah, I was surprised to learn I have two jugular veins!! My vocal cord, unfortunately, will always be paralyzed. They had to remove the nerve that controls it. Luckily, I sound almost normal with just the one. I can tell I sound different, but other people can only really tell when I try to yell (I can't), sing (I can hit maybe half an octave and I used to be able to do about 3 octaves), or laugh... but I'm very happy overall with how my voice came out...I was expecting something MUCH raspier!!

Vocal cord
    Actually, Andy also sounds probably normal to most everyone with just one vocal cord. Only perception from others would most likely be a slightly weaker voice. Nothing drastic or scary! Andy's vocal cord nerve was not removed but his surgery was so long that his vocal cord was "sat on" for 6 hours. The least of our worries right now.

Well, you two guys are going to hold your one with one vocal cord and one jugular vein! Got faith in you!

Stay in touch.

RObin
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196

Hmmmm - Scissors
    My scar is much smaller than yours (just one side and up the middle) - my son said if it weren't for my job (no visible tattoos), I should get a vine or flowers to make the scar less scary.

And as for having "the good" cancer - tell your friend you're sure their next mammogram or "turn your head and cough" is a "pleasant exam".
  • zipperneck2012
    Pam M said:

Hmmmm - Scissors
    My scar is much smaller than yours (just one side and up the middle) - my son said if it weren't for my job (no visible tattoos), I should get a vine or flowers to make the scar less scary.

And as for having "the good" cancer - tell your friend you're sure their next mammogram or "turn your head and cough" is a "pleasant exam".

The good thing about my
    The good thing about my planned tattoo is that the scar on the left goes almost to my ear, so as long as I have my hair down it wouldn't be visible at all. I have a couple of other tattoos, and I never get them where I can't hide them if I want to. :D. My surgeon is begging me to send in a pic. if I go through with it,lol.