The battle is coming to an end for my dad

Options
I know I haven't posted much, but my dad was diagnosed in March of 2010. The cancer was at the junction of his stomach and esophagus, and one lymph node was positive. He was treated at MD Anderson and went into remission, but was not a candidate for surgery because of his health. We found out in October of 2011 that it was back, with three tumors now. One in his throat, one in the middle, and one near the junction. My father decided to not have anymore treatments. He has done wonderfully the past five months, but suddenly couldn't eat anymore last week. We called in hospice. He is having an unbelievable amount of phlegm, but not a lot of pain. He is unable to eat but can manage to get an ensure down at times. He is still talking and getting up and down and such.

I have some questions: What can they give for the phlegm? They put a motion sickness patch behind his ear and said that was suppose to help. Of course, that hasn't done a damn thing... Also, he is on the smallest dose of hydrocodone and only takes it as needed and we have noticed it has made him a nervous wreck and he has had mood changes. :(

What can be expected as we move along with all of this? This has been a rough two years. I just hope he goes in peace.

Comments

• PMT
    PMT Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Phlegm
    When my sister teresa was diagnosed, she did have a large amount of mucus production. Her physician started her on a very small dose of oral steroid. This seemed to help her a lot.
    Paula
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Hi Peachycream
    Nice to see

Hi Peachycream
    Nice to see you posting. Sorry your dad is having trouble with the mucus build up, but at least he is not having too much pain. I agree with Sherri...get him some mucinex, it comes in liquid form now. You have done and are still doing a wonderful job being his caregiver. Hospice will be a great help for all of you. Hugs to you all. Keep in touch.
    Tina in Va
  • mruble
    mruble Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Sorry to hear your news
    I'm so sorry to hear your father is in his final days. It must be tremendously difficult. Hospice gave my husband atropine for the phlegm and that seemed to help. Ativan was also helpful with anxiety. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers in the coming days.

Mary
  • cher76
    cher76 Member Posts: 292
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about
    I am so sorry to hear about your dad. The coming days will be challenging, and I will pray for strength for you and your family. My husband was prescribed Glycopyrrolate for the phlegm secretions. This seemed to work pretty well. If his pain increases, you might want to ask for some other pain medication. We also were treated at MD Anderson, and they have a wonderful pain management clinic there, if you haven't already been to it. They were great at working with us to find the right medication to help Rickie with the pain issue. It seems each of us travels this road a little differently. Rickie's cancer spread to his bones and eventually to his brain. In May and July of 2011 we had very good reports of the cancer shrinking, but then in September of 2011 it came back with a vengeance. He had radiation to his brain for the mets there and had an episode of internal bleeding, believed to be from the tumors in his esophagus. In the end his feet and arms were swelling tremendously and he was not able to take even water by mouth. Everything was given through his feeding tube. He passed away peacefully on Jan. 4, 2012. Be sure to take time to take care of yourself through out this journey as well.
    Cheryl
    wife of Rickie, dx stage IV EC, Oct. 2010
    mets to bones and brain
    Lost the battle, Jan. 4, 2010
  • dennis318
    dennis318 Member Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Few helpful hints for dad
    I had stage four larynx cancer, and quit eatting for 4 weeks, they nearly lost me, lost like 60 lbs, chemo and rads, I was being cooked...I made it, Sorry about Dad, I've lost alot of love ones, the few times i had a trach inserted, hated this..alot of phlem at night and day...Coke was offered, warm , or cold if he can handle it..the acid kinda melts the phlem off the inside i was told....i raised my self in bed and slept alot on my left side, Why, I have no idea, Breathed better as well, water was the other alternative, Boring! Also I sleep better with the air on and a blanket warmer in bed with me, the coolness keeps my sinus open, and run a humidfier, get them at walgreens, takes cool water, and adds moisture to the air, I hope this hopes in offering some comfort, prayer for you and your family.....Dennis in Tennessee