Just curious, how many here actually take asprin everyday?

Options
son of hal
son of hal Member Posts: 117
http://news.yahoo.com/studies-aspirin-day-keep-cancer-bay-000306036.html
Three more new studies showing the benefits of asprin against cancer. Ive heard this before but who on here is actually doing it? If not, why not? I haven't yet but I plan on starting.
CJ

Comments

• wmcbane
    wmcbane Member Posts: 33
    Options
    I take aspirin
    When I was diagnosed with stage iv in 2009, my onc said "take aspirin" when I asked what could I do to improve my chances. (that & vigorous exercise!). He said to use 81 mg enteric coated aspirin, one a day. However, I've since increased to 2/day after reading study that reported no increased risk of stomach issues with 2/day dose. (Dr. Had no problem with 2/day) i may up it again, because i have read more recently about aspirin & cancer indicating 325 mg the dose that provided benefit, though that sounds like a lot. Since aspirin may be counter indicated for some people, some cases, of course this is something to discuss with dr, especially at higher doses. And it has to be discontinued before any surgery. I'm currently NED status after chemotherapy, radiation, & surgery x2.
  • peterz54
    peterz54 Member Posts: 341
    Options
  • LAF53
    LAF53 Member Posts: 60
    Options
    I take also
    My onc suggested I take an aspirin a day, so for the past month I have been. I've had no problems with this.

Lydia
  • Cathleen Mary
    Cathleen Mary Member Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    LAF53 said:

I take also
    My onc suggested I take an aspirin a day, so for the past month I have been. I've had no problems with this.

Lydia

An aspirin a day...

At the suggestion of my onc, I have taken an aspirin a day since I was diagnosed in July of 2009.

Cathleen Mary
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    Options
    I take 325/day
    since Jan 09. Dx stage 4a May 08; currently in remission. Sometimes 81/day when I can't find enteric coated 325s.

all the best
    Leslie
  • tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    low dose ASA + natural inhibitors
    Wife takes 1/4 - 1/2 of 325 mg aspirin per day plus several natural COX2 inhibitors like silymarin (milk thistle extract), quercetin, resveratrol and green tea EGCG. These natural substances have more function than "just" COX2 inhibition.
  • very worried husband
    Options
    tanstaafl said:

low dose ASA + natural inhibitors
    Wife takes 1/4 - 1/2 of 325 mg aspirin per day plus several natural COX2 inhibitors like silymarin (milk thistle extract), quercetin, resveratrol and green tea EGCG. These natural substances have more function than "just" COX2 inhibition.

My wife is taking 81mg
    My wife is taking 81mg Asiprin since december 2011.
  • relaxoutdoors08
    relaxoutdoors08 Member Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Taking Aspirin
    Hi,
    Since my ending Folfox a year ago, I have been taking 81 mg aspirin because my oncologist said I am in the group most likely to recur and based on studies I added the daily aspirin to prevent recurrence. I also have been doing TAi Chi and trying to add more exercise. Taking Vit. D and Calcium tablet and added B Complex to see if my WBC returns to normal. WBC still low one year later.

My next scan First week in April so praying I am still NED.
    NB
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Discussed
    I discussed this was my doctor a while back and she said as I take Cimetidine to not take aspirin as well. She said they did similar things to the body and not to overdo it. If I stop Cimetidine I will start aspirin.
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options

Taking Aspirin
    Hi,
    Since my ending Folfox a year ago, I have been taking 81 mg aspirin because my oncologist said I am in the group most likely to recur and based on studies I added the daily aspirin to prevent recurrence. I also have been doing TAi Chi and trying to add more exercise. Taking Vit. D and Calcium tablet and added B Complex to see if my WBC returns to normal. WBC still low one year later.

My next scan First week in April so praying I am still NED.
    NB

A recent article at internalmedicinenews.com ,dated 3/1
    suggested aspirin might be most beneficial as a prevention measure for those aged 55 to 75.

Cancernetwork.com on 10/17/11 had "Could aspirin be a viable adjuvant treatment for cancer?, with the following pertinent part:"......aspirin reduces mortality from most solid common tumors,not just colorectal....."

cancernetwork.com/print/article/10165/1972309

Had scheduled appointment with onc this morning and she actually mentioned taking low-dose aspirin. Tho i've read of aspirin when it had first been cited i'm still leary as to stomach affects......

For some other aspirin/NSAID news:

medicalxpress.com/print248362682.html

posted this date:medicalnewstoday.com/articles/243171.php
    eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-02/acs-nh022912.php

healthcanal.com/cancer/22231-New-Views_Inflammation_cancer.html
  • tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    mom_2_3 said:

Discussed
    I discussed this was my doctor a while back and she said as I take Cimetidine to not take aspirin as well. She said they did similar things to the body and not to overdo it. If I stop Cimetidine I will start aspirin.

Life Extension Foundation
    The Life Extension Foundation's colorectal protocols separately recommend COX2 inhibitors, including aspirin, and cimetidine for two separate, biomarked colorectal cancer contributors, COX2 and sialyl lewis X/A.
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    tanstaafl said:

Life Extension Foundation
    The Life Extension Foundation's colorectal protocols separately recommend COX2 inhibitors, including aspirin, and cimetidine for two separate, biomarked colorectal cancer contributors, COX2 and sialyl lewis X/A.

I took it for about a year
    I took it for about a year then stopped right before the holidays, stopped a lot of my supplements but now that my CEA is creeping up again, I am back on all, for about a month now.

My FP put me on the aspirin due to my high Cholesterol levels, to prevent a stroke. I did however hear about the aspirin benefits and cancer years ago. Some are taking 325 but that to me is too high a dosage.