Class of 2011 - ROLLCALL!

Options
13»

Comments

• mardigras
    mardigras Member Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hello Terry and all the special people here

I think Rob qualifies as 'class of 2011'. Diagnosed summer of 2011. Stage three ardenocarcinoma.

Chemo for four months and an 'Ivor Lewis' in February 2012. Recovered well from the operation and

can eat almost everything. In England the huge cutbacks have meant that he has not had a PET scan

since his surgery and we couldn't afford to pay privately. The hospital have given all sorts of reasons

for not giving the scan, but we know it is a matter of cost. I try to give him a really healthy diet with

lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. The one thing that we have not been able to conquer is the dumping.

Rob has to take anti-diarrhea meds every day. Having said that he seems to be quite well. Very thin

obviously and he also sleeps a lot. Other than that he leads a normal life and  we thank God for that.

Prayers and hugs to all of you and once again thank you for all your support. I could not have gotten

through this without you. God bless and keep you all.

Marci

• callerid
    callerid Member Posts: 96
    Options

Update

Hello, 

My husband, Martin, 75,  DX Stage 3b in Feb.2011, continues his fight with a great attitude and courage.  We continue at MDA in Houston with  Dr. Ho. Martin is now stage IV after the IL in Sept of '11 as a tumor on his Adrenal Gland returned in March of 2012. This tumor was removed in Sept of 2012, but new spots in his thigh and pelvis, lung and Adrenal Bed have returned.  His is now completing another round of chemo(3rd chemo round) and will return to Houston in August for new testing. He has held his  weight at 170 for the last year after starting at 238. He has great faith and does not worry which has helped me so much.  I read about everyone as I can, marveling at the fight and spirit all  have against this hated Beast. Bottom line, there MUST be a much quicker and easier way to detect diagnosis  before it becomes too late.  We insisted our grown children be tested , they are in their 40's.  Each has recently been tested, and lesions were found early. They will now be on Prilosec for the rest of their lives.  Prilosec will cure the lesions....we were told.  They had no EC yet! But I believe there must be some genetic link somewhere. 

I thank each of you for stories, continue to send prayers your way, and am so saddened by those no longer here. I am blessed to have Anderson and each of you brave warriors in our collective  corners.   You have taught me so, so  much....thank you! Thank you! God bless you all and your caregivers!

Barrie

Medications

Barrie

I also have two grown sons. One has been checked and no signs of Barrets Esophagus or esophageal abnormalities. The other has not.

The reason I am writing is that I have read an article(s) that in 2012 they discovered that it is highly probable that bile is causing Barretts Esophagus and Esophageal Cancer, not gastric acid as they once thought   They are trying to determine if proton pump inhibitors, such as Prilosec actually increases cancer risk. Studies have shown that controlling the acid in the stomach might allow the symptomless reflux of bile to go undetected, thereby posing a higher risk of causing cancer. They also note esophageal cancer has risen dramatically in the U.S.since these proton inhibitors have been on the market. 

I don't think anyone knows for sure what causes EC. My husband had some acid reflux thirty years ago. Rarely bad enough to even take over the counter medication, yet that's what the doctor attributes it to. Since his diagnosis, we have found that two first cousins and an uncle (all from the same family) have/had Barretts.

But when you said your kids had to be on Prilosec for life, I wanted to make you aware of these findings. Many mistakenly develop a false sense of security that medication will take care of it and fail to follow up with exams and lifestyle changes.