Armidex - Side Effects, issues, different from Tamoxifen?

Options
NJMom10
NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone else has been switched from Tamoxifen to Arimidex. My onc just switched me because I'm in Menopause now. I've been reading about the Arimidex side effects of bone pain and achiness, which I already had with the Tamoxifen. Wondering if anyone is interested in sharing their experiences. Maybe will help others too who are making a change or have to take it.
Thanks as always. Barbara

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    Hi Barbara
    I took Arimidex for 18 months and the only side effects I had were some joint/bone pains (most of the time, minor) and some weight gain. On the few days that the weather would change drastically (not often--I live in Phoenix), the pain would be a little more, but nothing Advil couldn't handle. All in all, my side effects from it were minimal.

Good luck with your treatment.

Hugs, Renee
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options
    missrenee said:

Hi Barbara
    I took Arimidex for 18 months and the only side effects I had were some joint/bone pains (most of the time, minor) and some weight gain. On the few days that the weather would change drastically (not often--I live in Phoenix), the pain would be a little more, but nothing Advil couldn't handle. All in all, my side effects from it were minimal.

Good luck with your treatment.

Hugs, Renee

Hey Barbara,
    I made the switch three months ago myself. Arimidex seems to be quite a bit harder on my joints. Nothing I can't deal with though. I make sure I go for my evening (1 hour) walks and I don't know if this helps or hurts my cause. While I am vertical I have no issues or qualms but if I bent down at the knees I think I'd need help getting back up. It does seem better on the days I don't exercise, but walking keeps my weight in check and my engine running clean.

Another side effect is hardening of the stool. I find if I don't have a bowel movement within a day, a stool softener with my hormone pill seems to keep me regular.

That's about it for now.. heehee

Lorrie
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    Options
    I just started
    this poison myself. 3 weeks ago to be exact. I can tell ya I want nothing to do with it. I took 2 days off and I feel wonderful again.

The reason I am on it is because I am ER/PR positive to the tune of 98%. It certainly seems like this drug will keep me alive longer. My questions to my MO will be many.

My recurrence rate was 36% after she looked over my blood work scores and saw how big the tumor was (3 cm) and that the Ki67 was way over the normal range. However, my Oncotype test shows my recurrence risk a mere 4%. I will definitely discuss this with my MO. I am not sure I NEED this drug.

My SE's are headaches, sore throat, cough, aches and pains, fogginess and depression. I cry a lot. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo not like me. I did go to the site within this site called (What's Next). From there I navigated to a blog about Arimidex. A few of the bloggers did state that taking this drug at bedtime has produced much better results. I did start doing that last night. I guess I'm too scared to quit altogether.

Anyway, the best place to get answers is through the experts. But I have to say, the women and men on this site have the best advice I have ever been privvy to.

Keep us informed as to how you are doing.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Mine switched me
    but it was from tamoxifen to Evista. The Tamoxifen was toxic to my system and he said that with all the se from it, the last thing he wanted to do was put me on Arimidex. So far no se from the Evista and it has been almost a year.
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Hormonal Therapy is a Blessing!
    Every drug has side effects. One doesn't know which side effectthey will have until they try them.

I used Tamoxifen, Arimidex, Faslodex, Femara and Faslodex. Next drug - chemotherapy

AI's (Arimidex - Femara - Aromasin) are known for bone & joint pain. I had no bone or joint pain on Arimidex but, with Femara, the bone & joint pain was horrid.

Tamoxifen often has endometrium issues. I had no bone or joint issues on Tamo.

I began Faslodex with two shots (250 mg each) in 2008 as part of the boosters they give you to start this drug. Then it was one shot per month (250 mg). I remember no side effects with the first shots. I used this drug until progression in early 2009.

Today a protocol of 500 mg 2 shots every month. I had my first shots this week and had side effects of fatigue, nausea, vomiting and you name it.

Big difference, same drug, different time. One really doesn't know how it will go until one tries it.

Give it a try. For those of us who are ER/PR positive, these drugs are truly a wonderful option.

Best,

Doris
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    camul said:

Mine switched me
    but it was from tamoxifen to Evista. The Tamoxifen was toxic to my system and he said that with all the se from it, the last thing he wanted to do was put me on Arimidex. So far no se from the Evista and it has been almost a year.

I'm not on this, but, I know
    I'm not on this, but, I know many onco's will switch you to another if you're having too much trouble.

Good luck!
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options
    Barbara
    I actually did alot better on the Arimidex than with Tamoxifen. I was put on it because i had a total hysterectomy after my breast cancer went to my cervix. I totally believe it was the tamoxifen that caused this. I had no problems with my periods until i started taking it either. Im soooo glad that im no longer on it. Good luck
    Laura
  • NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Options
    lolad said:

Barbara
    I actually did alot better on the Arimidex than with Tamoxifen. I was put on it because i had a total hysterectomy after my breast cancer went to my cervix. I totally believe it was the tamoxifen that caused this. I had no problems with my periods until i started taking it either. Im soooo glad that im no longer on it. Good luck
    Laura

Thank!
    Thanks all for your replys. It may sound odd but I have been so busy I forgot to check for any answers. I am going to give it a try and of course, if I have issues, I'll discuss trying something else.

My daughter is studying abroad in South Africa and we are going to visit her in a few weeks so I have been quite preoccupied.

So sorry for all those who have had a bad experience. Hope your treatments end soon and you all come out of this CLEAN!!! Barbara
  • iaelituuao
    iaelituuao Member Posts: 19
    Options
    NJMom10 said:

Thank!
    Thanks all for your replys. It may sound odd but I have been so busy I forgot to check for any answers. I am going to give it a try and of course, if I have issues, I'll discuss trying something else.

My daughter is studying abroad in South Africa and we are going to visit her in a few weeks so I have been quite preoccupied.

So sorry for all those who have had a bad experience. Hope your treatments end soon and you all come out of this CLEAN!!! Barbara

very mild joint pain
    I was ER/PR positive,menopause, had right mastectomy 2 yrs ago, finished chemo 18 months ago and has been on the arimidex for 15 months now.
    When I first started I was taking this in the morning but found it hard with the joint pains during the day; so I switched the time to the evening.
    I found it much better, sleep ok, do a few stretching exercises befor getting out of bed and now I have lesser to no joint pain during the day.

Good luck.
  • no_pink
    no_pink Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Arimidex and me...
    My onco put me on Arimidex right after radiation. Started on March 1st and noticed a few of the side effects, each different and only a day usually for except one. And that one, mood swings took me a bit to figure out. Once I realized what they were I made a plan to offset it by adding exercise 5 days a week with a trainer at a fitness center, joined this network, wrote my story, a poem and blogged. And for almost two weeks I thought I had won the battle but over this past weekend I discovered not only had I not but the onset came so differently this time that I didn't recognize what was going on. I just got up Sunday morning and couldn't make decisions, then just didn't feel like myself and not until the after noon when I was crying again for no reason did I figure it out. The not feeling like myself continued into Monday when I forgot appointments and realized on Tuesday when I felt like myself again that I really didn't even on Monday.

One solution my onco offered when I opted to try adding good endorphins via exercise was Effexor XR because it has been found to work well with Arimidex. And so as of Monday I have started on it but takes 2-4 weeks to get in your system. I'm wondering if not exercising on the weekends set me up for the downward spiral that occurred Sunday and Monday. So am going to be more alert this weekend and see.

Hope this helps some....oh, yeah, I am also a Barbara:)