Arimidex and thinning hair.

Options
roseann4
roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
I have been on Arimidex for more than 3 years. Since May I have lost 30 pounds and are finally a healthy weight. Over the past few months, my hair is much thinner on top. Anyone else experience this? It wasn't a problem when I was overweight.

Roseann

Comments

• NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Options
    Diet can cause thinning hair too
    I'm not sure about all of the side effects of Arimidex, but I know dieting can sometimes cause thinning hair. It may be a combination of the 2, Arimidex and diet. I remember once that it happened to me, but when I stopped dieting and maintained my weight, my hair stayed as full as it was prior to losing weight.
  • roseann4
    Options
    NJMom10 said:

Diet can cause thinning hair too
    I'm not sure about all of the side effects of Arimidex, but I know dieting can sometimes cause thinning hair. It may be a combination of the 2, Arimidex and diet. I remember once that it happened to me, but when I stopped dieting and maintained my weight, my hair stayed as full as it was prior to losing weight.

I'm not dieting.
    I was giving a dietitian and an exercise program. I am 5' 6" and weigh 150 so I'm not skinny. Read that low estrogen can cause thinning hair so I wondered if anyone else had this issue.

Roseann
  • connie121559
    connie121559 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    hair
    I am on Arimidex for about 1 1/2 years am over weight (haven't lost) but hair is thinning on top. Didn't think about it may be the meds for cancer
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

hair
    I am on Arimidex for about 1 1/2 years am over weight (haven't lost) but hair is thinning on top. Didn't think about it may be the meds for cancer

My hair is VERY thin
    and its growth is extremely slow, but I don't know if it's from Arimidex or Taxotere or a combination. I simply have a very dismal amount of hair since chemotherapy. August 4, 2010 was the last day I had a full head of hair. What I have now is pretty awful and I have to wear a wig. I'm planning on asking my oncologist if I can take a break from Arimidex to see if that's the culprit. She had suggested I try and switch to Femara because sometimes there are different side effects with different drugs, but I tolerate the Arimidex so well otherwise - and besides if my hair is still thin on Femara, I still won't know what the culprit is as both drugs have hair loss as a side effect. In my case, I think it was the chemo because even before I started Arimidex, my hair was not returning like it should. I did not start Arimidex for over 3 months after my last chemo.

Does anyone know if the hair will return to normal after Arimidex (if that's the culprit)? I have almost 4 years remaining. I'll be so old then, I probably won't even care.

Suzanne
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Roseann,
    I believe my hair is thinning too. I shed as much as my dogs and it never seemed to matter. Now, I can really see the difference. I've been on Arimidex almost 2 years. Also, I have lost weight, since June almost 40#'s. (This is the only place I would ever admit I had forty pounds to lose - love you all!!)

I am dieting (weight watchers - so regular food) and walking a little.

Sue
  • roseann4
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Roseann,
    I believe my hair is thinning too. I shed as much as my dogs and it never seemed to matter. Now, I can really see the difference. I've been on Arimidex almost 2 years. Also, I have lost weight, since June almost 40#'s. (This is the only place I would ever admit I had forty pounds to lose - love you all!!)

I am dieting (weight watchers - so regular food) and walking a little.

Sue

Good for you Sue!
    I was told that fat cells make estrogen so recurrence rates are much lower even with a 10 lb weight loss. My hair was normal when I was heavier and low estrogen levels can cause thinning hair. Less fat, less estrogen, less hair. Staying cancer free is more important but I miss my thick hair. We could have much bigger issues! Thanks everyone!

Roseann
  • TerryS
    TerryS Member Posts: 3
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Good for you Sue!
    I was told that fat cells make estrogen so recurrence rates are much lower even with a 10 lb weight loss. My hair was normal when I was heavier and low estrogen levels can cause thinning hair. Less fat, less estrogen, less hair. Staying cancer free is more important but I miss my thick hair. We could have much bigger issues! Thanks everyone!

Roseann

This hair - Arimidex
    Hello: I have been trying generic Rogaine (my doc recommended the men's extra strength since I am not having more children). I think it has helped somewhat. Now my question is: How do I get it onto the scalp now that my hair is somewhat better? Seems like I usually end up w/ greasy hair and I haven't noticed improvement lately. Does anyone have other ideas?

I do have my hair back after chemo -- that took 6 months but I was glad to get out from under the scarf. So of course I am glad to have hair. I have several years left on Arimidex, and when the light hits my head, well, 80-year-old ladies have thicker heads of hair than me. Also, the doctor -- in this case a dermatologist -- explained more completely why Arimidex affects hair than my oncologist did. It blocks all the estrogen, and even after menopause, we produce some. Blocking estrogen helps keep the estrogen-receptive cancers from coming back. But the complete lack of estrogen, along with the presence of testosterone, which other posters have noted, can make for thinner hair. My hair used to be stick straight and came back very curly after chemo. The curls hid the thinness. Two years out, the waves are relaxing. See HealthCentral.com for additional info from a similar bulletin board.

And congrats to those who have lost weight. Summer is almost here, a great time to get moving. My wonderful surgeon has said keeping your weight down can also be very important in preventing recurrence.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
  • TerryS
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Good for you Sue!

Roseann

Thin hair - Arimidex
    X
  • TerryS
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Good for you Sue!

Roseann

This hair - Arimidex
    X