pull-up stomach needing stretched?

Options
Guigna
Guigna Member Posts: 63
So how often after surgery do other people need their new esophagus stretched? My husband was eating better and better and then it started going the other way. SInce he is currently getting chemotherapy, his surgeon said we had to wait, but for the last few days he can hardly eat at all. He's too skinny to miss meals, shall we say?!

Just wondering if anyone else has had to be stretched more than once; because he's already been stretched twice.

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • sandy1943
    sandy1943 Member Posts: 824
    Options
    I've had four stretch's in
    I've had four stretch's in three years. I still have some problems, but If I pay attention, eat smaller bites and chew a lot I can handle it. The doctor said it was up to me and I'm doing better than I ever have, so I choose to wait.
    I don't know the severity of his problem, but in the pass, I would cook the same as aways and put my meat in a processor and grate up fine. Not the same but just as tasty.
    Hoping for better success with the next stretch.
    Sandra
  • Guigna
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

thanks
    yes, he still has his feeding tube and it's a damn good thing. He would have starved to death by now. He was just about ready to get it removed when they found his met and put him on a chemo schedule.
    Thank you so much for the information you gave. Yes, he's had a chronic cough. SO there's hope that this will not be a recurrent theme through his life.
  • Guigna
    Options
    sandy1943 said:

I've had four stretch's in
    I've had four stretch's in three years. I still have some problems, but If I pay attention, eat smaller bites and chew a lot I can handle it. The doctor said it was up to me and I'm doing better than I ever have, so I choose to wait.
    I don't know the severity of his problem, but in the pass, I would cook the same as aways and put my meat in a processor and grate up fine. Not the same but just as tasty.
    Hoping for better success with the next stretch.
    Sandra

thanks
    we sure never knew what we were signing up for when we walked into this horrible cancer scenario!
  • Guigna
    Options
    Guigna said:

thanks
    we sure never knew what we were signing up for when we walked into this horrible cancer scenario!

number of stretches
    my husband has already had 3 stretches, but two were done during his lengthy hospital stay.
  • dwhite0002
    dwhite0002 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    I am 5 years out and this is
    I am 5 years out and this is the first year I have not had to be stretched every couple months. I went a long time with MANY dilations. I was their "frequent flyer." I finally have gone almost 1 year without a dilation!!!

There is hope!!!!
  • sandy1943
    sandy1943 Member Posts: 824
    Options

I am 5 years out and this is the first year I have not had to be stretched every couple months. I went a long time with MANY dilations. I was their "frequent flyer." I finally have gone almost 1 year without a dilation!!!

There is hope!!!!

dwhite, This is the longest
    dwhite, This is the longest I've been, but still have to be careful. Your response give's me hope that maybe one day I can eat without worry. I love to eat and it would be great to eat without thinking about it!
    Sandra
  • Guigna
    Options

There is hope!!!!

wow
    Thank you for posting. I had no idea!!! And the Doctor never told us...