Strawberries are coming up!

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
I know in a lot of areas that's not a big deal but here on the northern prairie it is. The fact that they lived through the winter is really something here. But to be turning green in March that's really something. The last few days it's been in the high 60's - mid 70's (we should still be in the 30's for highs) so I put my bougainville out for sun and when I was walking back in after watering them today I saw some green in the strawberry tub and thought it was probably just silly dandelions so went to pull then. There was a small dandelion but looked closer and all the strawberries are starting to grow. Hope they don't kill their silly selves by coming up this soon as there is still plenty of time for blizzards. Horseraddish is also coming up,but blackberries aren't looking too good so not sure about them yet.

Haven't seen any robins yet but did see a few Canadian Honkers last weekend.

Just hoping we get a lot of April and May showers - not April and May blizzards as we really need the moisture so bad as snow has been rare this year and have already had several wildfires in the area. There are cracks in my yard that are as deep as they should be Aug.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    weather
    I read an article and that is what the fruit farmers are worried about too. But it's happened before and we got through it.

It's always something.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    All the signs of Spring
    are showing up here in the Northeast, too. Robins, Red Winged Blackbirds, Daffodils. Crocus & windflowers all over the lawn. Pussywillows and just about everything budding. The apple growers are scared - if the trees flower and we have a cold snap - no apples. Maple syrup season is short, too.

I remember years with no summer - but, never a year with no winter - wow!

Sue
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    sbmly53 said:

All the signs of Spring
    are showing up here in the Northeast, too. Robins, Red Winged Blackbirds, Daffodils. Crocus & windflowers all over the lawn. Pussywillows and just about everything budding. The apple growers are scared - if the trees flower and we have a cold snap - no apples. Maple syrup season is short, too.

I remember years with no summer - but, never a year with no winter - wow!

Sue

This time last year we were
    This time last year we were heading into 4 bizzards in 3 weeks - big difference!. I'm so afraid that all of a sudden we are going to get dumped on.. But we need moisture so bad. IF we don't get moisture - it's not looking fire wise for spring/summer between all the dry from last years wet summer and all the dead Ponderosa pine from the pine beetle 'epidemic (fireworks can't be done on the 4th at Mt. Rushmore because of all the dead pine in the area). 'June 29th will be the 10th 'Anniversary' of the start of the Grizzly Gulch Fire that almost took out Deadwood. It was quite a sight to see the law enforcement convoy that carried all the cash out of Deadwwod when they thought the town was lost.

But for now - enjoying not totally freezing everytime I walk out the house..

Susan