Comments

• meekow
    meekow Member Posts: 2
    Options
    twillits said:

Meekow,
    Hi, thank you for

Meekow,
    Hi, thank you for the answers. Do you have a port? I get mine in tomorrow. Is that scary? I am nervous about that. Just the thought of having that sticking out, and being visible.
    My biggest fear is also losing my hair. It is such a big part of me, and losing it will also be a big sign for everyone else to know I am sick.
    What type of surgery did you have? What stage are you? I am stage III, and surgeon got most of it, and couldn't get the splatters, so hopefully, no, not hopefully, it will be killed off by chemo. I am optimistic.
    Thanks for listening!
    twillits

Hello Twillits
    Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I did not get a port put in. I have chemo for 8 cycles every 3 weeks. Thought I could get poked 8 times instead of having the port. I have Ovarian Cancer, stage III C. It is a rare type of cancer. It is Carcinosarcoma (Malignant Mellerian Mixed Tumor, MMMT for short). Not to many people have this type of cancer from what I'm told. I had an 11 pound tumor removed (looked like I was 7 months pregnant), my ovaries, appendix, lymph nodes and omentum. I had my uterus removed a long time ago. Still a little sore from surgery but getting better every day.

I hope everything went well today for you with getting your port in. Hope it wasn't to bad for you.

I was worried about losing my hair also. My family and friends have been very supportive. I'm hoping when it comes back in that it is nicer than it was, maybe even curly. I wear my hair shorter most of the time. I have 2 wigs. One of them looks almost identical to my own hair style. I had my hairdresser cut it for me. I had it on and my daughter did not notice it was not my hair. The counselors told me to get one before I lost my hair so I could match the colors and the cut. I also picked up a bunch of hats and scarfs. I have an appointment Tuesday to get my hair cut shorter so I am hoping it will help for when I loose the rest. I thought I was prepared for when my hair started to come out but, I was still pretty emotional. I keep telling myself it's all part of getting better.
    All we can do is stay positive.
  • Marnel
    Marnel Member Posts: 42
    Options
    twillits said:

Hi Karen,
    Thank you! Made

Hi Karen,
    Thank you! Made it thru the port surgery. It was very fast, and I was back home after 4 hours. One more step down!!
    Next week another big step with the beginning of chemo. I have heard and read so many stories about it, it makes me very nervous.
    How are you doing now?
    Thanks again for your advice.
    Tracey

right behind ya...
    Hi Tracey...

Sounds like you are I are in about the same place. I had my port put in last week when I had my surgery to remove the tumor and do the debulking. I will meet with my ONC on friday to review the pathology report and discuss chemo. I am really scared. I don't have an appetite either which I'm sure has to do with my anxiety. My poor husband keeps trying to fix me things to eat but nothing sounds good. Let me know how your chemo treatment goes and good luck to ya...I'm right behind ya.
  • twillits
    twillits Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Marnel said:

right behind ya...
    Hi Tracey...

Sounds like you are I are in about the same place. I had my port put in last week when I had my surgery to remove the tumor and do the debulking. I will meet with my ONC on friday to review the pathology report and discuss chemo. I am really scared. I don't have an appetite either which I'm sure has to do with my anxiety. My poor husband keeps trying to fix me things to eat but nothing sounds good. Let me know how your chemo treatment goes and good luck to ya...I'm right behind ya.

Hi,
    So you have had your

Hi,
    So you have had your surgery, and port put in at the same time? That would have been nice.
    I got the port in, and it still is painful. Not real bad, but it's there. I go tomorrow to the chemo class, then start my first treatment on Tues. My anxiety level is back up there again. Just like a roller coaster. I go thru one step, get a few days off, then move on to the next step. Emotions are still up and down as well.
    What stage were you?
    I have a great support system, and I know I will need them during this. They say that is very important. Stay positive!! I'm trying, and also trying to be as normal as possible.
    Talk to you soon,
    Tracey
  • Marnel
    Marnel Member Posts: 42
    Options
    twillits said:

Hi,
    So you have had your

Hi,
    So you have had your surgery, and port put in at the same time? That would have been nice.
    I got the port in, and it still is painful. Not real bad, but it's there. I go tomorrow to the chemo class, then start my first treatment on Tues. My anxiety level is back up there again. Just like a roller coaster. I go thru one step, get a few days off, then move on to the next step. Emotions are still up and down as well.
    What stage were you?
    I have a great support system, and I know I will need them during this. They say that is very important. Stay positive!! I'm trying, and also trying to be as normal as possible.
    Talk to you soon,
    Tracey

Not staged yet...
    I meet with my doc on Friday to go over the pathology report. I will find out type and stage then. Emotions have made me completely lose my appetite too which hasn't helped with my overall feeling. I too have a great support system, family, friends and spirit. I am fortunate that I'm retired and don't have to worry about a job while going through all of this. I am thankful for being able to nap when I'm tired. I am so gonna put together a really nice chemo bag. My quilt group makes cancer quilts for people in Portland so I'm taking a really nice quilt along with lots of things to keep me comfortable. This forum is so great, isn't it? Focus on getting your chemo bag together and some nice music on your MP3...that might help keep your mind off of things. I will be thinking about you on Tuesday. Hugs, M