Is it possible to get thru this without a caregiver?

Options
2»

Comments

• RushFan
    RushFan Member Posts: 224
    Options

I'm encouraged....
    Thank you everyone for your imput. Like in everything else, there has to be a balance...knowing when to ask for help and being gracious in accepting help...but it's encouraging to hear everyone's experience...knocking on wood that I can follow in many of your footsteps...

p

The first three weeks; yes.
    The combo of chemo and rads did me in. I was 48 years old to start treatments...5'11 and 210 lbs. Very active, former competitive powerlifter and generally in decent shape. My wife is a stay at home mom of our four children. At the time they were 10, 7, 7 and 4 years old. She drove me to every one of my treatments five days a week for seven weeks. The first three I could have easily driven myself...after three weeks not very likely.
    I'm not sure what I would have done without her...she was and is an incredible person and wife.
    All the best to you,
    Chuck.
  • Goalie
    Goalie Member Posts: 184
    Options
    RushFan said:

The first three weeks; yes.
    The combo of chemo and rads did me in. I was 48 years old to start treatments...5'11 and 210 lbs. Very active, former competitive powerlifter and generally in decent shape. My wife is a stay at home mom of our four children. At the time they were 10, 7, 7 and 4 years old. She drove me to every one of my treatments five days a week for seven weeks. The first three I could have easily driven myself...after three weeks not very likely.
    I'm not sure what I would have done without her...she was and is an incredible person and wife.
    All the best to you,
    Chuck.

Maybe, but not the same
    Perhaps I flatter myself but I am convinced that I would have survived without my caregiver. I come from tough old New England stock and somehow would have found a way. But I would have made it only in the sense of months later having a heartbeat and functioning systems.

I would have been in the hospital more. I would have suffered a great deal more as they experimented with different drugs to relieve suffering and I wouldn't have had enough brain functioning to question. I would have “eaten” even less. I would have had a feeding tube. I would have had even less nutrition. I would never have made it through the constipation, I can tell you, without real outpatient surgery, so to speak. I would quite possibly have had an accident driving daily to radiation as my wekened brain made it so hard to concentrate. I would have had to find someone, perhaps from church, to drive me home on chemo days. I would never have gained 15 pounds the first month back after treatment when every morsel that went in my mouth was calculated for maximum protein, calories, vitamins, etc. (Mary is an analytical chemist, after all.) I would never have been able to work even the part time that I did. The list goes on endlessly. I thank her every day and actually, the five weeks we spent together 24x7 were some of the best and closest times we have had in 30+ years.)

And that is only about me personally and not to talk about the kids. We still had a high schooler and middle schooler at home then. I could never have taken care of myself and done anything for my family even though it was often little more than attending Tae Kwon Do exams or just having breakfast and dinner together every day. Of course, for me this was sometimes just a Boost Plus or similar, but that was what I could do.

So, yes, I could probably have lived through it, but the me that was “me” would have been intolerably changed and irremediably weakened and that would have been a terrible price. Also, I couldn’t have played hockey for months and months after and that was unthinkable! ;^) Doug
  • Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Single dad
    I was a single dad with two teenagers and made it alone. Like the others, I too had friends come by at times to check on me, bring soup etc. Towards the end of treatments it got rough and I did need someone to take me on chemo days.

Sounds like you will be ok with family in the area to help when needed.

Denny
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    pattyanny said:

Yes you can!
    I drove both to and from chemo and radiations. I WAS married, but looking back, really went through it alone. I am thankful my ex was there to feed my children, but he had to eat anyway, so no biggie there! I am most grateful to my Sister who would drive 2 hours to check in on me. I really was only drinking fluids, and lying in bed until appointment times. If I can do it, you can! Especially if you have friends close by to help out. My prayers are with you. Stay positive, listen to your body, and Believe! Wishing you the best!
    Patty

PattyAnny's ~ Dork Face-Ex...
    Too bad your Sisters from different Misters weren't there to cover your back in the time of need....those known as The Abi-Normal Clan.

But you did have your sister from the same mister...MB.

Love ya girl, glad you are doing well.

Stay strong,
    JG
  • Mikemetz
    Mikemetz Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options

In short........No.
    Well, not for me. If not for my wife, neighbors, relatives, and close friends, I'm convinced that I wouldn't be typing on this keyboard at this time.

Larry

Same for me
    I had the best support anyone could ask for, and it was still the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life. I formed "Team Mike" with my wife as captain--everything went through her. Team Mike included family, friends, and anyone who wanted to help in any way. By doing allowing so many people to help, "all" I had to do was focus on getting back to good health. It kept my stress down and my energy up. Obviously, some of you had to go it alone. I applaud you for that, but don't recommend that if it can be avoided. Like CajunEagle, I am sure i would not be here today without the support from so many people during the most difficult times.